FF Restart

General discussion about web technology.
nagan

FF Restart

Post by nagan »

FF 3.5.1. Just now I disabled an extension and restarted from the built in addon alert.I get a stupid new page ,the previous tabs/pages are lost?
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
You are GOD.Realize THAT!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1
therube
Ambassador

Re: FF Restart

Post by therube »

Session Restore enabled?
I guess that is something that can happen when you are rely on something to actually work as expected.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

nagan wrote:FF 3.5.1. Just now I disabled an extension and restarted from the built in addon alert.I get a stupid new page ,the previous tabs/pages are lost?
Sorry that happened to you, nagan. :( That's never happened to me.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1
Grumpy Old Lady

Post by Grumpy Old Lady »

nagan wrote:I get a stupid new page ,the previous tabs/pages are lost?
Just a thought:
Is it stupid because you didn't lose previous tabs/pages?

I've had a couple of hiccups in 3.5.1 when restarting after changes to extensions. Nothing fatal though :-)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1
nagan

Post by nagan »

When I restart after a built in legitimate FF restart prompt I am supposed to get back all the tabs and pages intact. Instead only a new page opens and the most discomforting fact is I have to log in afresh in all forums.
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
Grumpy Old Lady

Hmmm, those symptoms sound very much like Private Browsing Mode is set to auto. Or else your Fx has swine flu with complications ;-)

In the new (and very confusing, I think) Privacy tab, if you've got "Use custom settings for history" and checked the "Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session", then all sessions are Private Browsing without prompt.
In PB mode, all session data is dumped, orderly restart or no.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I started noticing that too nagan and found out that being in private browsing mode (which is what I have now) it will do that and its normal behavior. You can customize the settings and include the session restore option if you'd like.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

@ nagan: You don't *have* to restart it just because you're prompted to. If you can live without the new extension or update for a bit, just wait until you're done for a while anyway, or ready to shut down. The update will still occur when next you open the browser.

btw, since I use Sandboxie 100% of the time, I have to d/l the .xpi, get it out of the sandbox and onto the desktop (e. g.,) *before* closing or restarting the browser, because for max security, I have Sandboxie configured to dump *everything* from the sandbox when the browser is closed.

Then fire up an admin-privileged, non-sandboxed FX, drop the .xpi in it, restart as requested, then close that browser. Now when I open Sandboxie, it clones the new, updated browser. A bit of inconvenience, but I've got it down to about a 1-minute process, a small price to pay for a large amount of security.

Anyway, just don't restart in the middle of a session. ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
nagan

Post by nagan »

Grumpy Old Lady wrote:Hmmm, those symptoms sound very much like Private Browsing Mode is set to auto. Or else your Fx has swine flu with complications ;-)
Ha ha! You Doctor? Anyway this newly introduced options (Private browsing?) when selected have their own evil ramifications. Though not a supporter of the generous Session restore ,I do prefer FF to be intelligent enough to hand over the user the original tabs when it is legitimately restarted by its own alert (Addon update is one of them!) Talk of user friendliness...

Thanks to everyone for the responses..
Grumpy Old Lady

nagan wrote: I do prefer FF to be intelligent enough to hand over the user the original tabs when it is legitimately restarted by its own alert (Addon update is one of them!)
Hmm, so your Fx has Alzheimers ;-)
The poor thing would be like Arnie in Total Recall if you demanded all those memory layers after you told it not to remember :-)

Second thoughts: forget I said that ;-)

Seriously, do you know that you can toggle Private Browsing Mode on-the-fly?
So, for example in your case, you open your session in ordinary mode, decide to go to Mars as a double agent with plasticine face and serious acting ability deficiency, so you toggle Tools|Start Private Browsing Mode and then when you want to come back from Mars you toggle it back to ordinary in the same session.
As long as you don't finish the session while you're in PB Mode, you get your session data back.
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

nagan wrote:I do prefer FF to be intelligent enough to hand over the user the original tabs when it is legitimately restarted by its own alert (Addon update is one of them!)
I agree. I tried searching bugzilla for a report or discussion of this issue and came up with nothing. I probably haven't tried hard enough, but I doubt I'll pursue it any further. I don't use Private Browsing.