µMatrix thread

General discussion about web technology.
lakrsrool

Re: µMatrix thread

Post by lakrsrool »

What is it that I need to do to get this website to work using uMatrix? (if I disable uMatrix no problems)

I have everything that can be allowed "allowed" in uMatrix (shouldn't need cookies but tried with them enabled anyway and it didn't help). I use Marketwatch.com all the time, but links are always blocked by uMatrix.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.8) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.8.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Anything blocked on other scopes? (click the blue "www.marketwatch.com")
What other settings have you turned on under the Privacy tab of the dashboard?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

Thanks for your reply.

I think (not sure) what I did was allow (make green) the "marketwatch.com" bar and the site works now.

I never know what to do when I get (just an example):
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.8) Gecko/20151126 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.8.1
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

There's a red triangle next to g.live.com; have you tried clicking around there?
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

Thrawn wrote:There's a red triangle next to g.live.com; have you tried clicking around there?
Thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't make myself clear about that second image I previously posted.

Actually the MS Outlook logoff has been working since before I posted that example, I was able to get the logoff page to work like it should as you can see in the background behind uMatrix settings you see in the image below instead of getting the error I posted above. I was only using this as an example as far as when I get this specific error "uMatrix has prevented the following page from loading" to point out how I'm always confused as to what it will take to not have uMatrix block the entire page since in general there is usually nothing to unblock when this happens as you can see in the previous "example" I posted above that you replied to (notice nothing is "blocked" at at that time when uMatrix prevented the page load as illustrated in my previous post).

Below is what I now get (successful logoff page instead of uMatrix stopping the page load) and have uMatrix set to what you see here to keep uMatrix from preventing the page load. It took a lot of playing around and I don't really see a logical procedure to use to apply this when other page loads get totally blocked by uMatrix (I'm just saying when this might happen again, what I posted previously, for other pages in the future).

lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

Thought I'd post a tip regarding browser crashes as a result of what µMatrix is blocking:
Anytime a Bing search is done that renders the large map positioned on the right side of the search page (which now uses virtualearth.net) then unless you allow (unblock) virtualearth.net in µMatrix both the Pale Moon and Firefox browsers will crash with a script error loading the page. It appears that unless virtualearth.net is allowed (not blocked) in µMatrix prior to requesting more search listings (using the "see all business listings" link) to get to the expanded page then the script error will produce the crash attempting to render that page in these two browsers (PM and FF) prior to having the opportunity to set µMatrix. Chrome on the other hand does not crash loading the expanded search page but will hang doing a back-tab from the expanded search page if mc1.maps.ive.com is not allowed on the initial search page (which renders the small map on the initial search page prior to requesting more listings ["see all business listings"]). The current Opera build does not have a problem with crashing or hanging because the Bing search in the Opera browser only loads the small map including on the expanded search page so because Opera is not using "virtualearth.net" for now (which is used to render the large map on the expanded search page in the other browsers) Opera is free of these µMatrix blocking issues.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/49.0.2623.75 Safari/537.36 OPR/36.0.2130.32
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

Here's another tip regarding the pronunciation feature of Dictionary.com in regards to the Opera and Chrome browsers.

What I've discovered in regards to Opera and Chrome is that unlike Pale Moon and Firefox (which does not require this) besides what is specifically required for the website to function properly "connect.facebook.net" inexplicably has to currently be allowed as well for the pronunciation function to work properly in the Dictionary.com as well as its companion website Thesaurus.com as discussed here in the Opera Forum linked to post #3 (discussed in post #3 and #4).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.1.1
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

lakrsrool wrote:I think (not sure) what I did was allow (make green) the "marketwatch.com" bar and the site works now.
You removed the block rule from g.live.com.

uMatrix tells you why the page was blocked: because g.live.com was explicitly blocked. When removing the block rule (more accurately, bypassing it), uMatrix won't block the whole document. g.live.com is probably a click-tracker and listed in one of the hosts file.

The only way for uMatrix to block a whole document from loading, is with explicit block rules on the hostname of the document, or one of its ancestor hostnames, if any. For example, a block rule directly on the example.com cell, will cause uMatrix to block the loading of whole pages from example.com, www.example.com. To prevent this behavior, remove the explicit block rule from example.com.

The red triangle in the top-left corner of the cell denotes the permanent rule for that cell. So a red triangle means there is a permanent block rule for that cell. If you commit the ruleset by clicking on the padlock, the bypass will become permanent and the red triangle will disappear.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
lakrsrool

Re: Chase Bank website Login

Post by lakrsrool »

The new Chase Bank website upgrade requires µMatrix to first be "disabled" (upper left of µMatrix interface "toolbar") to get the website to work because the requests needed to be unlocked (secure.chasecdn.com for "script" & "XHR") will not be displayed by µMatrix prior to when the website fails to log-in properly. So to "fix" the problem with the new Chase Bank website log-in it is necessary to take the following steps below:

1) Open the Chase Bank log-in page (go to step two before attempting to log-in).
2) Disable µMatrix (illustrated at the top of the screen-shot) so that you will be able to see the requests that need to be unblocked (illustrated toward the bottom of the screen-shot) after the website logs-in successfully which are requests that would have otherwise not been displayed by µMatrix if µMatrix were not "disabled".
3) Log-in to the Chase Bank website.
4) Enable µMatrix (once again illustrated at the top of the screen-shot) to be able to unblock what would have been formerly blocked but not displayed by µMatrix ("secure.chasecdn.com" for "script" & "XHR").
5) Unblock the two "script" & "XHR" requests by "secure.chasecdn.com" (illustrated toward the bottom of the screen-shot) which would have otherwise not been displayed if you had not initially "Disabled" µMatrix prior to log-in.
6) Save the "temporary" changes.

The Chase Bank website log-in will now work again. This applies to all browsers using µMatrix for this current Chase Bank website upgrade.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.2.2
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Or, alternatively, you can just allow all requests from www.chase.com to secure.chasecdn.com, as soon as uMatrix displays an image request. Or add a rule directly in the uMatrix dashboard (chrome://umatrix/content/dashboard.html)
======
Thrawn
------------

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.1.1
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

Thrawn wrote:Or, alternatively, you can just allow all requests from www.chase.com to secure.chasecdn.com, as soon as uMatrix displays an image request. Or add a rule directly in the uMatrix dashboard (chrome://umatrix/content/dashboard.html)
I wasn't using that log-in page (I don't like using a banks "advertising" [marketing] log-in page so to speak). I always find the direct log-in link to banks which is all the URL does as opposed to using the marketing log-in pages that banks tend to use of which is the easiest to find via web-searches.

So the link you posted "chase.com" is different than the one I use to log-in (which displays the "new" requests µMatrix was blocking as a result of the website upgrade). Notice the screen-shot I posted has "secure07b.chase.com" displayed for the URL which gets you to the the "chaseonline.chase.com" log-in, neither of which for these website addresses display the requests that need to be allowed for the website to log-in successfully previous to the website getting redirected to another page as a result of an error trap in the code presumably (redirecting to either a phone number page or notation regarding which browsers are supported if the page does not throw an irretrievable error).

I should have remembered the fact that I tend to use these other more direct secure log-in links to the banks I use (most people would use the link you posted) and made a note of my link: Chase Secure Login (which you'll notice does not display the "secure.chasecdn.com requests", and you would find never does regarding the following log-in redirect either). In my case because the log-in does not at any juncture display the "secure.chasecdn.com" for "script" & "XHR" when my log-in page is rendered or when it attempts to redirect to the Chase bank interface (it does now after I "disabled" µMatrix and unblocked these requests) is the reason why I took all those steps. ;)

As far as adding a "rule" using the dashboard, I guess you're referring to rules like this:
I've never felt comfortable at all using the "My rules" as it is vague to me how it's all done, I guess you add it into the "temporary rules" side and then move it to the "permanent rules". But since it is is very nebulous to me how this is done and how the rules are to be structured, I've not really used this much as it seems when I've tried the outcome was not what I had expected.

If there is a tutorial on how to use the "My Rules" tab in the µMatrix dashboard that would be great.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.2.2
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

lakrsrool wrote:If there is a tutorial on how to use the "My Rules" tab in the µMatrix dashboard that would be great.
Still no official such tutorial AFAIK. I tried to write one in the OP of this thread, if you can be more specific what it's missing or needs clarified I'll try to fix it as soon as I get the chance.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

lakrsrool wrote: I wasn't using that log-in page (I don't like using a banks "advertising" [marketing] log-in page so to speak). I always find the direct log-in link to banks which is all the URL does as opposed to using the marketing log-in pages that banks tend to use of which is the easiest to find via web-searches.
Well, if you're using a direct login link, then presumably this is something you have visited before and bookmarked. So, looks like you also need to hunt down the appropriate ruleset.

I'm not sure offhand why µMatrix doesn't show the requests until so late in the process. Normally that would happen due to a particular script trying to load them; if you can identify it, then it may be possible to ensure it tries to run (or surrogate it).
======
Thrawn
------------

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

Thrawn wrote:
lakrsrool wrote: I wasn't using that log-in page (I don't like using a banks "advertising" [marketing] log-in page so to speak). I always find the direct log-in link to banks which is all the URL does as opposed to using the marketing log-in pages that banks tend to use of which is the easiest to find via web-searches.
Well, if you're using a direct login link, then presumably this is something you have visited before and bookmarked. So, looks like you also need to hunt down the appropriate ruleset.

I'm not sure offhand why µMatrix doesn't show the requests until so late in the process. Normally that would happen due to a particular script trying to load them; if you can identify it, then it may be possible to ensure it tries to run (or surrogate it).
Yes, I "bookmark" so to speak, actually add the link to my start-page and always us that same link from then on. Not to beat-a-dead-horse here, but I'll try and explain one more time why I did what I did and why it seems to be to be the simplest approach to solving my unique problem I had ("my unique problem" is key here as I've realized since you posted your log-in link that the link I use is not very likely commonly used, therefore making this topic to a large extent superfluous unfortunately) and is an approach I figured might not be considered since the requests will otherwise never get displayed at any time (see further details below) using the log-in link I use.

It's easiest (easier than doing the other obviously more technical methods involving "rule sets", "surrogates" or whatever that would seem to me to be more confusing than ever) to simply temporarily "disable" µMatrix so the log-in will work and at that point once logged in the requests will display that need to be allowed. The point being, these two circled requests at the point of the log-in prompt (illustrated below) or the next page attempting to actually log-in will NOT display at any time but the log-in will end up failing to log-in and instead "trap" the issue that is caused by not allowing the requests by rendering either an alternate page from Chase with phone numbers to call the bank or a page will render what the browser requirements are or sometimes a broken page code prompt asking what to do with a bogus file which of course is an anomaly will display, all of which can simply be solved by temporarily "disabling" µMatrix at the log-in page prior to attempting to log-in to allow the two requests circled in red to display in µMatrix that would otherwise NEVER get displayed (it's not a matter of getting displayed "late" as you characterize it) which can then be set to be allowed and the change saved and enable µMatrix again and the log-in will work fine from then on.

This seems to me to be the easiest (less complicated and less confusing) approach to take.

Again, using this login URL: https://chaseonline.chase.com/Logon.aspx which renders this log-in webpage Image
to log-in will NEVER show these two requests and because they will NEVER display at any time after a log-in attempt which fails and generally redirects to another page as a result which again these requests will not get displayed since the redirected pages are not a log-in. Only a successful log-in will display the two circled requests and a successful log-in can only be accomplished by temporarily "disabling" µMatrix to provide access to the requests that would otherwise not display at which time after successfully logged in these two requests can be allowed (unblock, made green) and save the change and then enable µMatrix again solves the problem.

All of this is only the case for this specific log-in link, so because most people in general will likely use the more prevalently used log-in that search engines will tend to bring up more frequently it's an issue more unique to me perhaps and not something the majority of users will run across. When I posted this I didn't take into consideration most users would not need to take this approach but then this is the log-in I've been using for many years (15+ years) so it's not something that crossed my mind. Fact is, I didn't even think about the alternate log-in link that you have posted above until after you had posted it. Point being, the more commonly used log-in page (which you posted) WILL display these (circled) requests that need to be allowed that in my case were not getting displayed with the link I was using as illustrated above, so with that in mind I sort of wish I had never posted this topic as it's more trouble than it's worth. ;) When I first posted the topic I assumed that since in my case the requests that need to be allowed were not getting displayed it might be helpful to point this out since some people might not think about there being a need to disable µMatrix to be able to see the requests but unfortunately I did this not taking into consideration at the time that the generally more commonly used log-in link would not have this unique requirement.
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

To reply to this comment in another thread (my emphasis):
Thrawn wrote:There are solutions, such as ABE or another extension like RequestPolicy/Policeman/µMatrix, but they take more effort to manage. ABE requires writing an appropriate rule, and the other extensions will make all your permissions site-specific, so there will be extra work for each site, similar to the work that NoScript requires.
One can create rules which apply everywhere in uMatrix. From the popup panel, it's a matter of selecting the '*' scope (top-left cell) when creating a rule through the matrix UI. From the My rules pane in the dashboard, it's a matter of using '*' as the source in a rule. For example, to allow script from example.com everywhere:

Code: Select all

* example.com script allow
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0