Update to a version that is not current build?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
lakrsrool

Update to a version that is not current build?

Post by lakrsrool »

I have a question in consideration that I do not want the current 2.9.0.10 version but instead an older version, what would be the best (safest) way to update to a version that is not the current build released that being version Version 2.9.0.4? Would it be best to not remove the add-on to get the version I want so can I click the "Add to Firefox" button for version 2.9.0.4 and update over the current version?

Of if it's not a good idea to use the "Add to Firefox" button to update to another version when I've already currently got NoScript then what other way is best to update to the version 2.9.0.4 that I want from the version I have now?

I certainly do not want to lose all of my current NoScript settings that's taken years for me to apply.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.1.1
therube
Ambassador

Re: Update to a version that is not current build?

Post by therube »

Backup first.

https://noscript.net/feeds

Install what you want.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.40
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

^ I don't see an option to backup/restore in NS, do you mean "Export" so that if there are any problem I would then "Import" that file?

If that's what you mean then there's not any problem doing an "Import" of that "Export" to NS in the event after an update some settings were missing in the NS settings even though I already have the file itself that I'd be importing or would I need to delete the NS file before importing the "Exported" file I had created to act as a Backup?

Or to put it another way, can we "Import" onto an existing NS file so that what was already there would be left alone (not changed) and the only part of the "Import" that would be added would be what was in the "Import" file that was not in the existing file (missing in the file)?

Or to put it simply does the "Import" overwrite everything that previously exists? (so that you would end up with the same thing you had before plus what was in the "Import" that was not in the previously existing file?)

Thanks for the NS update links. :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/2.0 Firefox/38.9 PaleMoon/26.1.1
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Just back up your entire profile, it'll be easier to restore from that than NoScript's export.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

barbaz wrote:Just back up your entire profile, it'll be easier to restore from that than NoScript's export.
Thanks for the reply barbaz. By the way, have you been using postimage.org we had discussed (and I had tested a few things out for you)? Works pretty good huh? (nice way to save screen-shot images and no SPAM that you were concerned about, right?)

Back to the topic, a backup is done in case of problems. In the case of the browser profile (I use Pale Moon which has a backup tool I can use) if I had problems a restore of the browser profile would bring me back to the NS version I had before. This is Okay to protect me against a problem with the new NS updated version (which I don't anticipate would be a problem).

What I'm asking about is a way to backup all of the NS settings i.e. XSS exceptions, ABE settings, Whitelist etc., just in case these settings are lost or corrupted during the NS version update (since I'm not updating to the current update version).

Am I thinking wrong here? Wouldn't the best thing to do is backup all of my NS settings (which has taken many years to apply)? The reason I'm asking is because I've never updated NS since installing and I don't want to lose all the settings that have taken be so long to accumulate over the years.

Thanks for the help. :D
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

lakrsrool wrote:By the way, have you been using postimage.org we had discussed (and I had tested a few things out for you)? Works pretty good huh? (nice way to save screen-shot images and no SPAM that you were concerned about, right?)
Yes I've signed up there and all worked well. 8-) Much easier for image uploading than Google Drive.
Thanks again for your help with that.
lakrsrool wrote:Back to the topic, a backup is done in case of problems. In the case of the browser profile (I use Pale Moon which has a backup tool I can use) if I had problems a restore of the browser profile would bring me back to the NS version I had before. This is Okay to protect me against a problem with the new NS updated version (which I don't anticipate would be a problem).

What I'm asking about is a way to backup all of the NS settings i.e. XSS exceptions, ABE settings, Whitelist etc., just in case these settings are lost or corrupted during the NS version update (since I'm not updating to the current update version).
NoScript stores its settings inside the profile folder (specifically, in prefs.js) so backing up the profile would get all that too.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-