AdBlock replaced ads for a day

General discussion about web technology.
barbaz

AdBlock replaced ads for a day

Post by barbaz »

Blocking ads is one thing. Given the current Internet landscape, that's a smart thing to do in terms of both security and privacy, and it's the choice of the end user.
Replacing ads with pictures of cats, or something else the end user chooses, is also fine IMO - their browser, their user-experience.

But I thought that any entity (aside the end user) replacing ads on a web page with other ads, is a form of theft in a way?
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016 ... for-a-day/
Doesn't sound opt-in to me.
Legitimacy questions aside, and regardless of how "good" the cause may be, how do you think user would feel towards the cause after being subjected to such unwanted advertising?

It's surprising this isn't much more controversial. (or am I really out of touch? :? )
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
therube
Ambassador

Re: AdBlock replaced ads for a day

Post by therube »

Must be the new rage, Brave Browser.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 SeaMonkey/2.39
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

therube wrote:Brave Browser.
Yeah, I've heard of that: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2985455
IMO it's just a fancy way to grab money while looking altruistic, so I'm steering clear.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

barbaz wrote:how do you think user would feel towards the cause after being subjected to such unwanted advertising?
Myself, I'd check whether the product had terms and conditions of use, and consider switching to another one. If it was a one-off, though, and I felt that the specific adblocking product worked better than the other options, I might stay.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0