µMatrix thread

General discussion about web technology.
barbaz

Re: µMatrix thread

Post by barbaz »

Thrawn wrote:Go ahead.
I would but I can't figure out how to do it in the mod panel :(
I'll try again later

EDIT Done (I think), but I hope I didn't make a mess of it :?
Thrawn wrote:Issue was [...] marked as expected behavior.
Unfortunately the STR weren't clear enough in my description. This is specifically an interaction with NoScript; the browser's built-in click-to-play doesn't appear to suffer this (in that case Flash starts up but cannot load any content to run, so does nothing).
See PM
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

The symptoms that you described were, the Flash plugin loads, but the video doesn't. That is expected for uMatrix; it only blocks the web request.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Nope, the symptoms I described (or intended to describe) were that Flash itself loads and the Flash content (swf file from the Internet AKA youtube video player) loads, but the object-subrequests are blocked.
-
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

I'm getting the infamous "Ooops, something in your posting triggered my antispam filter...
Please use the "Back" button to modify your content and retry.".

Can someone please provide me a way to simply make my post. I'll try a PM to someone.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.8) Gecko/20151116 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.8.0
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

I get this when all I'm doing is logging out of Outlook.com (Microsoft Account) [url]chrome://umatrix/content/main-blocked.html?details=eyJ1cmwiOiJodHRwOi8vZy5saXZlLmNvbS85ZXA5bm1zby9zby1FTi1VUyIsImhuIjoiZy5saXZlLmNvbSIsIndoeSI6Ij8ifQ==[/url]

This does not happen in Chrome but does happen in Firefox.

All the page is is a sign-out page: http://www.msn.com/?ocid=mailsignout

There is nothing available to "allow" in uMatrix and refresh does nothing. How can I prevent this from occurring?
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@Thrawn: see PM
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

lakrsrool wrote:This does not happen in Chrome but does happen in Firefox.
If you export/backup your Chrome settings for µMatrix then import it into Firefox does the problem still happen? (Backup your Firefox settings first.)
lakrsrool wrote:There is nothing available to "allow" in uMatrix
Just to make sure, you checked all scopes right?
-
lakrsrool

Post by lakrsrool »

To fix the problem I did the following (allow, make green, the site pointed out):

And after doing so, get the following after loggoff: http://www.msn.com/?ocid=mailsignout, which I have no idea why uMatrix would block in the first place. I appreciate the security uMatrix provides but for the life-of-me I can't understand why certain commonly used websites get commonly blocked by uMatrix.

I guess this is what you mean when you suggested that I should check "all scopes". :idea:

Thanks again for the help barbaz. :D

P.S. I tried uploading the image to Onedrive with the intention of embeding the image here, but all I could manage to do is embed a link to the image (I couldn't find anywhere on the net how to use Onedrive to imbed an image, i.e. .png file for example, in a forum. I wondered about the safety of linking to a file in my Onedrive account anyway.), so I resorted to uploading the image to post.org to get this done. Is there an advantage of opening an account with post.org? I don't see how I'd ever find this image again once I close the post.org window; so does having an account allow the user be able to easily find their past images uploaded?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.8) Gecko/20151116 Firefox/31.9 PaleMoon/25.8.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

You're welcome.
lakrsrool wrote:I can't understand why certain commonly used websites get commonly blocked by uMatrix.
It seems that µMatrix blocks requests unless it's told otherwise - so if you don't have something in "My Rules" allowing a request, it'll be blocked.
-
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

lakrsrool wrote:for the life-of-me I can't understand why certain commonly used websites get commonly blocked by uMatrix.
A dark red cell means there is an explicit rule assigned to it. uMatrix proper has very few rules out of the box: block "all" by default, allow 1st-party, allow css/image from everywhere -- that's all.

`g.live.com` is not a uMatrix rule, it's a rule from one of the hosts file loaded in uMatrix, hpHosts more specifically. Any rule which does not appears in "My rules" pane comes from the hosts files.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Is there a way to update some but not all of the active hosts files? Preferably one by one.
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I am also noticing that cannot right-click a blocked image > View image (in new tab / middle-click), nor is it possible to copy the blocked image's URL from the DOM. Seems it's because of µMatrix messing with the DOM nodes despite my attempts to completely disable placeholders.

I'm finding this is quite annoying when I want to default-deny images coming from certain sites and trying to decide whether adding an exception is worthwhile, is there any way to tell µMatrix to not mess with the DOM at all? (Changing the DOM in this way also has the privacy side-effect detriment of the website being able to realizing that *something* is blocking the image, even though in my setup it cannot tell it's µMatrix doing the blocking.)

(Would µMatrix just block the top-level request too in this case, making right-click > View image somewhat pointless? Even if so I'd still like to be able to copy the image URL out of the DOM, that's just one or two extra clicks here.)
-
gorhill

Post by gorhill »

barbaz wrote:Is there a way to update some but not all of the active hosts files? Preferably one by one.
Not really. uMatrix will update whatever is deemed obsolete, so all obsolete filter lists will be update upon clicking "Update now". If all filter lists are up to date and you purge the cache for a specific list, only this list will be updated.
barbaz wrote:I am also noticing that cannot right-click a blocked image > View image (in new tab / middle-click), nor is it possible to copy the blocked image's URL from the DOM. Seems it's because of µMatrix messing with the DOM nodes despite my attempts to completely disable placeholders.
You're right, not very convenient. I could do what I do for frames, i.e. provide a link to the original image inside the placeholder. I am currently just not giving as much time to uMatrix as I do to uBlock. A new issue should be opened for this.
barbaz wrote:Changing the DOM in this way also has the privacy side-effect detriment of the website being able to realizing that *something* is blocking the image
That's true as soon as the DOM is tampered with one way or another, even just merely blocking without further DOM manipulation. If this is a concern, solution of course is to disable scripting to prevent js survey code from finding out, or XHR to prevent results of js survey code from sending information back to the server.

It has been argued that uMatrix should do what RequestPolicy is (was) doing with image placeholders, i.e. replace them with a custom placeholder instead of leaving a blank slate, in order to provide a visual hint that an image was blocked -- so this is why it's implemented this way.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:46.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/46.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thanks gorhill for the fast response.
gorhill wrote:Not really. uMatrix will update whatever is deemed obsolete, so all obsolete filter lists will be update upon clicking "Update now". If all filter lists are up to date and you purge the cache for a specific list, only this list will be updated.
Is there a way to manually create a cache for specific hosts file(s)?
gorhill wrote:
barbaz wrote:Changing the DOM in this way also has the privacy side-effect detriment of the website being able to realizing that *something* is blocking the image
That's true as soon as the DOM is tampered with one way or another, even just merely blocking without further DOM manipulation. If this is a concern, solution of course is to disable scripting to prevent js survey code from finding out, or XHR to prevent results of js survey code from sending information back to the server.
Disabling JS is not necessarily enough. If you know what node(s) are could be manipulated, it's not hard to make a webpage that detects DOM manipulation and reacts differently, with just CSS.
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@gorhill: see PM
-