Error prompt - why?

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
luntrus

Error prompt - why?

Post by luntrus »

Hi forum friends,

While working my Shiretoko browser on aalerted webpage that was then checked and launched via Perspectives I got the following prompt:
"done_quering_notaries error Type Error: gSSL Status is null"
What should I check or where should I look for the origin of this error message?
Is this a MS bug or some form of attack?
My encryption report from http://www.fortify.net/sslcheck.html:
# cipher, 256-bit key
# AES cipher, 192-bit key
# AES cipher, 128-bit key
# RC4 cipher, 128-bit key
# RC2 cipher, 128-bit key
# Triple-DES cipher, 168-bit key
# IDEA cipher, 128-bit key
# DES cipher, 56-bit key
Get an error here also: https://connect.sigen-ca.si/index-en.htm Perspectives then redirects to a Not found,

luntrus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090719 Shiretoko/3.5.1pre
therube
Ambassador

Re: Error prompt - why?

Post by therube »

(I know nothing of Perspectives.)

With the latter link, I get an "This Connection is Untrusted" warning.
If I accept the certificate, I then end up at a "404" (The requested URL was not found on this server. Maybe the link to that file has changed.).

So, just as it says, thinking you have an outdated link.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090716 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

I don't use Perspectives anymore. I couldn't connect with two of its four servers at one time in the past and I suspect that may have been causing me some performance problems. I don't think it did anything for me anyhow, since I'm using a desktop computer connected to my ISP with a wired DSL connection.

Using the latest Shiretoko nightly, my SSL Encryption Report from Fortify is the same as yours.

https://connect.sigen-ca.si/index-en.htm is not a good link. Append an "l" to it, i.e. use https://connect.sigen-ca.si/index-en.html. You still need to manually allow the certificate though. BTW, I did all my testing in a sandbox. I'm won't accept an untrusted certificate otherwise.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090719 Shiretoko/3.5.1pre
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

I won't accept an untrusted certificate otherwise.
So long as you do not set the certificate "permanent", wouldn't it be session only in any case?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1pre) Gecko/20090716 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
luntrus

Post by luntrus »

Hi Alan Baxter,

Thanks for the explanation.
It's important to remember the problem this approach, perspectives, is trying to solve. The classic case is detecting and avoiding a man-in-the-middle attack against SSL while browsing at an Internet cafe. This approach will not help if someone creates a Web site advertising "avoid foreclosure!"
I quote here from: http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2008/10 ... tives.html
By independently querying the desired target site, the notaries can check whether each is receiving the same authentication information, called a digital certificate, in response. If one or more notaries report authentication information that is different than that received by the browser or other notaries, a user would have reason to suspect that an attacker has compromised the connection...

"When Firefox users click on a website that uses a self-signed certificate, they get a security error message that leaves many people bewildered," [author[ Andersen said. Once Perspectives has been installed in the browser, however, it can automatically override the security error page without disturbing the user if the site appears legitimate.
luntrus
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

therube wrote:
I won't accept an untrusted certificate otherwise.
So long as you do not set the certificate "permanent", wouldn't it be session only in any case?
I suppose. But why expose myself for even a session to a possibly malicious site?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.1) Gecko/20090715 Firefox/3.5.1