When your privacy is "in the cloud".......

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
luntrus

When your privacy is "in the cloud".......

Post by luntrus »

Hi my forum friends ,

Someone trying to find a new job and willing to try and eliminate all his or her traces on the Internet. He or she asked the forum mods to eliminate all his postings because he or she does no longer feel to be associated with the content thereof.
Recently there was a lady that complained on her blog that she felt miserable at times and tired and that remark later meant she did not qualify for a job because her boss googled these Internet credentials of her's, nothing of his business off course because it was not job related but alas that is the way it goes in times where our privacy is more and more at stake.

Some basic rules for handling these matters 1. Never publish online things you would not like to repeat in public. 2. Never give them real data like your real mail address. 3 Rather give them for instance a real old address from the days of the former DDR or say your account is from Honduras. 4. Throw a throw-away mail address at them. 5. Run the TrackMeNot extension inside Fx and make a lot of false background noise for Google to analyze.

This is also why certain people must learn to protect themselfs when doing "in the cloud computing", using an account to share files or have an account at a virtual computer, this could all mean it is out of your hands,
and this could be the not so far off future for all of us: http://www.aclu.org/pizza/

luntrus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US) AppleWebKit/531.0 (KHTML, like Gecko) Iron/3.0.189.0 Safari/531.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: When your privacy is "in the cloud".......

Post by Tom T. »

luntrus wrote:He or she asked the forum mods to eliminate all his postings because he or she does no longer feel to be associated with the content thereof.
Never say on the Web anything you don't want to be associated with permanently, at least under your real name. Realize (d'oh!) it will be there forever.
Recently there was a lady that complained on her blog that she felt miserable at times and tired and that remark later meant she did not qualify for a job because her boss googled these Internet credentials of her's, nothing of his business off course because it was not job related but alas that is the way it goes in times where our privacy is more and more at stake.
Of course it was his business. When she posted it on the World Wide Web, she made it the World Wide Business of everyone with a World Wide Web connection.

If a hakker in China can see it, why can't her boss? I've tried to explain this to the younger members of my family. If you have suicidal thoughts or whatever, tell your doctor, not the whole world. This blog thing (for people with nothing useful to say) was a ridiculous idea in the first place, but if you're egocentric enough to believe that everyone is interested in how you feel at any given moment, or what you did last night with whom and which drugs you took, don't be so hypocritically upset when someone reads it and it matters to them.
[and this could be the not so far off future for all of us: http://www.aclu.org/pizza/
I went there, but the blocked Flash logos turned me off. They're so interested in privacy, don't they know about Flash cookies? ... and I guess they know nothing about security. Typical ACLU -- on the mark some times, way off other times.
luntrus
I'll bet that's not your real name! :D

Keep your privacy to yourself, not in the cloud.
Cheers.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard