Monospaced Option w/o Code Box?

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
CelticKat

Re: Monospaced Option w/o Code Box?

Post by CelticKat »

Also, why does this editor support more advanced HTML tags but not rudimentary ones like <b> and <i>?

Post by barbaz »

Seib wrote:1) You said that the [pre] tag often uses monospaced font; when does it not, and what would I then do if in such a situation?
(it's not [pre], but <pre>.)
Heh, I meant I have only ever seen it in Gecko based browsers where it's monospace and I don't have any idea if it's monospace in other browsers and I've never looked at the spec for it :?

Actually, scratch that, for some reason the <pre> tag is now getting its own line in the browser, where it wasn't before?
I'm so confused. :?: I swear that wasn't happening for me when I made that suggestion.
Forget I mentioned it, sorry :oops:
Seib wrote:2) The HTML example you gave won't work because for the situations I described above, usability would depend on there not being a code box around it. The box would just be obstructive.
You are still confusing HTML and BBCode. Here's the HTML of that code box:

Code: Select all

<dl class="codebox"><dt>Code: <a onclick="selectCode(this); return false;" href="#" rel="nofollow external" target="_blank">Select all</a></dt><dd><code>The code goes here</code></dd></dl>
Note where the "<code>" and "</code>" are. Does that clarify this for you? :)

Please paste the following code in your address bar, enabling noscript.allowURLBarJS if needed:

Code: Select all

data:text/html,<div>AAAAAAA AAAAA <code>this       is code</code>AAAAAAA AAAAA </div><pre>This     is      preformatted text</pre>
Seib wrote:Also, why does this editor support more advanced HTML tags but not rudimentary ones like <b> and <i>?
?
This board does not support at all posting in HTML. You use BBCode, which gets converted at the server side to HTML in ways defined by phpBB and the board administrator.
I'm not sure what you're asking here...
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
CelticKat

Post by CelticKat »

(it's not [pre], but <pre>.)
Heh, I meant I have only ever seen it in Gecko based browsers where it's monospace and I don't have any idea if it's monospace in other browsers and I've never looked at the spec for it :?

Actually, scratch that, for some reason the <pre> tag is now getting its own line in the browser, where it wasn't before?
I'm so confused. :?: I swear that wasn't happening for me when I made that suggestion.
Forget I mentioned it, sorry :oops:
Haha, it's okay. Lol. Also, I thought it was the [pre] tag because you used brackets before, not chevrons.
You are still confusing HTML and BBCode.
No, I'm not. Your HTML example was in a box... :I
?
This board does not support at all posting in HTML. You use BBCode, which gets converted at the server side to HTML in ways defined by phpBB and the board administrator.
I'm not sure what you're asking here...
Okay. Nevermind, then. I'm not sure what I was talking about in that case, either. Lol.

Also, by the way, I have a couple other questions I would like to ask if that's fine with you.

1. Why is it so many forums use primarily BBCode instead of HTML? What benefits does BBCode have over HTML, for that matter? I find this frustrating because I know how to do a good number of things in HTML, but I know virtually nothing in comparison regarding BBCode... ><

2. I've always thought that BBCode tags were exactly the same as HTML tags, except for that BBCode tags use brackets instead of chevrons. Is this incorrect...aside from the fact that BBCode uses
instead of [blockquote] it seems...? σ_σ

3. What's the BBCode equivalent of <hr>? I read at http://www.phpbb3bbcodes.com/viewtopic.php?t=174 that it's [hr][/hr] but I tried it and it's clearly not the case...

Thanks.

Post by barbaz »

Seib wrote:No, I'm not. Your HTML example was in a box... :I
I am not sure what was happening when I posted the stuff I crossed out and deleted, as several of the things I saw then are not the same as now... :?
Seib wrote:Also, by the way, I have a couple other questions I would like to ask if that's fine with you.

1. Why is it so many forums use primarily BBCode instead of HTML? What benefits does BBCode have over HTML, for that matter? I find this frustrating because I know how to do a good number of things in HTML, but I know virtually nothing in comparison regarding BBCode... ><

2. I've always thought that BBCode tags were exactly the same as HTML tags, except for that BBCode tags use brackets instead of chevrons. Is this incorrect...aside from the fact that BBCode uses [ quote] instead of [blockquote] it seems...? σ_σ

3. What's the BBCode equivalent of <hr>? I read at http://www.phpbb3bbcodes.com/viewtopic.php?t=174 that it's [hr][/hr] but I tried it and it's clearly not the case...

Thanks.
Offtopic, but sure.
1) Because it's safer for the server and those who access the site.
BBCode is a set of tags with predefined HTML replacements, anything unrecognized is just text and will be interpreted as such by the browser. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HTML code means something to the browser, so a server admin must be extra careful to sanitize it properly. If arbitrary HTML code is allowed (whether out of stupidity or a bug), one could post malicious scripts and they would run on the computers of anyone who access the server! :shock:

2) BBCode is completely different from HTML. It translates to HTML but is not the same as HTML. For example, HTML <code> tag is just monospace font but BBCode's [ code ] tag translates to the mess I posted above.

3) There isn't one, unless the board administration defines one (Giorgio hasn't). I don't have my server up right now, but if you administer a phpBB board and want help to set it up I can try to get something going later.
-
CelticKat

Post by CelticKat »

I am not sure what was happening when I posted the stuff I crossed out and deleted, as several of the things I saw then are not the same as now... :?
Haha, quite amusing, actually, this problem... It's okay. xD
Offtopic, but sure.
Hence why I asked. :P
1) Because it's safer for the server and those who access the site.
BBCode is a set of tags with predefined HTML replacements, anything unrecognized is just text and will be interpreted as such by the browser. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HTML code means something to the browser, so a server admin must be extra careful to sanitize it properly. If arbitrary HTML code is allowed (whether out of stupidity or a bug), one could post malicious scripts and they would run on the computers of anyone who access the server! :shock:
That...makes a lot of sense. :I
2) BBCode is completely different from HTML. It translates to HTML but is not the same as HTML. For example, HTML <code> tag is just monospace font but BBCode's [ code ] tag translates to the mess I posted above.
Well, no, I knew HTML isn't the same in terms of its substance; I just meant the way the tags and syntax is constructed. But, yes, I understand. Thank you. :)
3) There isn't one, unless the board administration defines one (Giorgio hasn't).
Aww... D:
I don't have my server up right now, but if you administer a phpBB board and want help to set it up I can try to get something going later.
I don't understand that much about BBCode. XD Hell I don't even know what "php" stands for, let alone what a phpBB board is. Haha.

Post by barbaz »

Seib wrote:I don't understand that much about BBCode.
Relax, BBCode isn't a programming language, you don't have to.
Seib wrote:Hell I don't even know what "php" stands for, let alone what a phpBB board is. Haha.
I have no clue what PHP stands for either (is it even an acronym?), but a phpBB board is just a forum powered by phpBB forum software.

EDIT A DuckDuckGo search indicates it's a recursive backronym that stands for "Php Hypertext Preprocessor".
-
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

barbaz wrote: EDIT A DuckDuckGo search indicates it's a recursive backronym that stands for "Php Hypertext Preprocessor".
I believe the original was Personal Home Page.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
CelticKat

Post by CelticKat »

Relax, BBCode isn't a programming language, you don't have to.
Okay. :oops:
I have no clue what PHP stands for either (is it even an acronym?) ...
Lol. :D
... but a phpBB board is just a forum powered by phpBB forum software.

EDIT A DuckDuckGo search indicates it's a recursive backronym that stands for "Php Hypertext Preprocessor".

---

Thrawn wrote:
I believe the original was Personal Home Page.
This is just plain fascinating... :I
CelticKat

Post by CelticKat »

Another example of what I was looking for is the code span element in MarkDown.