Find function for ABE rules

Bug reports and enhancement requests
skkukuk

Find function for ABE rules

Post by skkukuk »

My ABE rule list is now large enough to be difficult to edit in the Advanced/ABE tab of the NoScript options window. I have read about an Edit Rules button, but I have never seen that, and in any case I believe that just launched an external editor, where you lose ABE syntax checking. A better editor for ABE would be great, but for me all that I really need is a Find function so I can find the rule I am looking for.

Is there an ABE find function (or a better ABE editor) that I am missing? If not, is there already a request to add one, or should I open an enhancement request?

Edit: Comments below added after this thread moved to the NoScript Development board. (Thanks for moving it barbaz!)

What would be simple, but helpful, would be a find function similar to what firefox has - meaning a textbox to put the search argument in, and either a find button with wraparound search, or find next and previous buttons (with or without wraparound search). Default find should not be case sensitive in my opinion, but an option to match case would be a plus. The search function could either always be at the bottom of the ABE rules display, or it could be hidden until something activated it - right click option, control click option, whatever.

Just some ideas!
Last edited by skkukuk on Wed May 06, 2015 1:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
barbaz

Re: Find function for ABE rules

Post by barbaz »

You're not missing anything.

I couldn't find any RFE asking for search feature in editing ABE rules.
This topic will do as an enhancement request, you can edit the OP or add more details if you feel it's needed.

Moving to NoScript Development.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

skkukuk wrote:Edit: Comments below added after this thread moved to the NoScript Development board. (Thanks for moving it barbaz!)

What would be simple, but helpful, would be a find function similar to what firefox has - meaning a textbox to put the search argument in, and either a find button with wraparound search, or find next and previous buttons (with or without wraparound search). Default find should not be case sensitive in my opinion, but an option to match case would be a plus. The search function could either always be at the bottom of the ABE rules display, or it could be hidden until something activated it - right click option, control click option, whatever.

Just some ideas!
You're welcome.

Along those lines I'd like to note that Adblock Plus does have code making use of Firefox's own findbar widget, but it's quite fragile, breaking frequently with new Firefox releases. Don't know if Giorgio is interested in doing that or if he rather implement his own findbar.
@Giorgio, I can PM you the findbar code in my fork of Adblock Plus if you want (it should support Gecko >= 15 but I haven't tested it on old Gecko lately).
-
skkukuk

Post by skkukuk »

I hate to be greedy, but another place a find function would be nice is in the whitelist. This is more important when the whitelist contains a mix of full addresses, domains, and domains with subdomains, because the related things on the whitelist are not sorted together, especially when using full addresses can make the whitelist contain more entries. What might be cool in the whitelist instead of a find function, would be a filter where only the matching whitelist entries would be displayed, but a simple find would be fine too.

I am adding this here because it seems like it might be able to be handled the same way as original find function request for ABE rules (which is way more important!). I do realize that since it is a different type of control (listbox vs textbox in windows .net terminology??), it also might not get handled the same way. Sorry if this should be a separate request.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Hmm, I thought there was already a find function of sorts on the whitelist if you type in the input box? I'm confused :?

(The whitelist area in recent NoScript versions is called a "nsITreeView", in older versions it was called a "listbox". Also it's XUL not Microsoft .NET Framework. And yeah it would be a totally separate thing.)
-