FlashGot documentation?

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
barbaz

FlashGot documentation?

Post by barbaz »

I'm not a regular user of FlashGot, but I do pick it up for various odd download jobs sometimes.. and so far, every single time I've tried to use it, I've had to come here asking for help. Given that I'm somewhat techie and that Giorgio puts a *lot* of quality effort into his software, that is kinda concerning. I have to conclude that I'm likely just not understanding FlashGot's "intended" use case and so I end up trying to use it in scenarios from "edge cases" to "unsupported" then get stuck and ask why I'm not getting it to work. :?
I know at first it took me a few reads through the site to figure out that FlashGot was for batch downloading things from web pages, and then some experimentation to find that it only grabbed the user-facing stuff (meaning, not things like js files referenced only by script tags).

So is it just me, or should the docs on flashgot.net more clearly state what is FlashGot's intended use? I'm still not sure I totally get it...
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux) KHTML/4.9.1 (like Gecko) Konqueror/4.9
Mainman

FlashGot documentation?

Post by Mainman »

Can anyone point me to a manual or a user guide for FlashGot? It's far from obvious how it works, or what all the commands mean. I find I am scrabbling around in the dark just randomly trying combinations of commands to see what happens. But I would much rather read and understand.

There must be a manual, surely?

Thanks
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.101 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Re: FlashGot documentation?

Post by barbaz »

It's not just you. I'm in the same boat.. sort of.
[removed link to topic that's now merged here]
And I'd really like to understand more about FlashGot. It would be a very nice way to batch download things if I understood it better, right? A manual like you're looking for would surely help me a lot there.

@Mainman: is that a related enough issue that you have no objection to me merging the two topics?
-
Mainman

Post by Mainman »

barbaz wrote: @Mainman: is that a related enough issue that you have no objection to me merging the two topics?
Sure. more than happy to merge the two topics. But you'll need to be a mod to do that, I imagine.

What I don't really get is that they say FlashGot is intended to make download managers (whatever they are) work with Firefox.

But that's not what I am trying to do. All I want to do is to be able to download a series of images with sequential filenames from a particular site. (like www.website.com/images/picture1, picture2, picture3 etc) without having to do it manually. Someone said I had to get FlashGot to do that, but FlashGot only works with Firefox (I normally use gChrome).

So I am kind of coming at it the other way around. I only got Firefox to be able to use FlashGot, not that I got FLashGot to be able to use Firefox!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.101 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Mainman wrote:Sure. more than happy to merge the two topics. But you'll need to be a mod to do that, I imagine.
Done, thanks. (I am a mod, you just don't see me here much because I'm usually in NoScript or Extras sections.)
Mainman wrote:What I don't really get is that they say FlashGot is intended to make download managers (whatever they are) work with Firefox.

But that's not what I am trying to do. All I want to do is to be able to download a series of images with sequential filenames from a particular site. (like www.website.com/images/picture1, picture2, picture3 etc) without having to do it manually. Someone said I had to get FlashGot to do that, but FlashGot only works with Firefox (I normally use gChrome).

So I am kind of coming at it the other way around. I only got Firefox to be able to use FlashGot, not that I got FLashGot to be able to use Firefox!
I get exactly what you're saying and this is all part of why a manual would be so helpful. I really think you're expressing the same confusion as what confuses me about FlashGot. It's advertised as just an advanced download manager integration tool, but when you actually use it and/or read threads here it seems like so much more...

(I'm pretty sure I've seen docs somewhere about how to download sequential files like you're wanting to do. Give me a moment to dig that up.
EDIT https://flashgot.net/features#build_gallery?)
-
Mainman

Post by Mainman »

barbaz wrote: (I'm pretty sure I've seen docs somewhere about how to download sequential files like you're wanting to do. Give me a moment to dig that up.
EDIT https://flashgot.net/features#build_gallery?)
Thanks, yes, I read that (though it's not very helpfully written)

I am making progress now. But what I'd really like to do is to be able to just send the images straight to a folder on my hard drive, rather than having to first create a gallery page and then go download all.. Problem is that if you are pulling down thousands of images, it's massively memory hungry to create a web page for them. I'd much rather just specify the filename range and then leave the puter to download them all to a folder. Surely that must be possible?
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

I don't use FlashGot a great deal, mostly for grabbing streaming videos to watch later. I see it as having two main functions: it's a convenient, featureful way to detect media, and it connects to whichever download manager you prefer.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; HUAWEI U8950N-51 Build/HuaweiU8950N-51) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30