Disable "Security Downgrade Warning" nag

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
agaxwmtp

Disable "Security Downgrade Warning" nag

Post by agaxwmtp »

If you try to disable Noscript in Add-ons - you get a pop-up nag titled "Security Downgrade Warning". I want to disable it. I assume there's an about:config setting for it but noscirpt settings in about:config go on and on. it's impossible to guess what to do.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Re: Disable "Security Downgrade Warning" nag

Post by Thrawn »

That's there because in many cases, you don't actually need to disable NoScript to make everything 'just work' - and if you don't need to disable it, then you're better off keeping some protection.

But if you really want to disable NoScript, then the dialog allows you to. Do you find yourself disabling NoScript so often that this is becoming a problem? If so, then I suggest that your usage pattern isn't right. If you want more convenience, you can try Options-'Temporarily allow top-level sites by default', or Advanced-Trusted-'Cascade top-level document's permissions to 3rd party scripts'. If you can't find ways to make sites work, then please post the specific problems you're having so that we can help with them.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Thrawn wrote:That's there because in many cases, you don't actually need to disable NoScript to make everything 'just work' - and if you don't need to disable it, then you're better off keeping some protection.
Yes, but that sort of warning is suitable only for "normal" / "non-techie" users. Power users (presumably, because a normal user has no valid use case for disabling that dialog) like agaxwmtp and myself, who know enough to go into about:config without needing to worry much about the warning, already know the risks of disabling NS, and are likely disabling it only for testing anyway. The dialog is actually a minor annoyance when I'm disabling and re-enabling all my extensions, which is now happening basically every time I use a current SeaMonkey nightly.

Actually, the first time I saw that dialog, I already knew that I would be turning off a huge chunk of my browser security (for testing only), and all the dialog did was force me to make an extra click and, since I wasn't expecting it, kinda scare me (but in a good way, because it's good to know that addons can prevent themselves from being disabled/removed :shock: ).

For me, now, the only purpose that dialog would have is to alert me if NoScript is being disabled, so even if I didn't disable NS myself I would still be able to cancel that from happening. But nothing other than me has tried to disable NS in my browser yet, so for all I know that use case is moot.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.28
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Please check latest development build 2.6.8.41rc2, thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
agaxwmtp

Post by agaxwmtp »

Could somebody tell me how to disable the nag? Thank you.

Noscript is the only add-on I've used (the only one period?) that has such a nag.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.2; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

agaxwmtp wrote:Could somebody tell me how to disable the nag?
Looks like it's
about:config -> noscript.removalWarning
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.7; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.28
redwolfe_98

Post by redwolfe_98 »

yep.. there is an option, now, to cancel the "nag"..

personally, if i am testing and i want the addons disabled, i run FF in "safe mode"..
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:24.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.0