Microsoft Security Essentials Beta

General discussion about web technology.
therube
Ambassador

Microsoft Security Essentials Beta

Post by therube »

Anyone seeing problems with Microsoft Security Essentials Beta website?
At first I thought it was a NoScript issue, but now I just confused :|.

---

Separately, 1.9.4.6 looks to not like Microsoft. (Understandable.)

SeaMonkey 2.

URL: Microsoft Security Essentials Beta - http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

This one may be a bit tough for you (try proxy), but other should be able to confirm?
With 1.9.4.6, I (living in the USA) am redirected to http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/market.aspx which states:
Not available in your country or region

You appear to be in a country or region where the Microsoft Security Essentials Beta is unavailable.

This beta is available only to customers in the United States, Israel (English only), People's Republic of China (Simplified Chinese only) and Brazil (Brazilian Portuguese only).
No cookie is being set. (What would be set is, mkt=en-us.)

1.9.3.3 works. Or maybe it doesn't? I'm totally confused on this one.
In a different Profile, with (I thought it was) 1.9.4.1, things worked correctly?
But now I'm being redirected - even with NoScript disabled?

SeaMonkey 1.1.17 & NoScript 1.9.3.3 are working.
SeaMonkey 1.1.17 & NoScript 1.9.4.6 are working.
FF 3.0.10 & NoScript 1.9.4.6 are working.
Gecko/20090206 Minefield/3.2a1pre & NoScript 1.9.4.1 are working.

I know it worked at least once in SeaMonkey 2?

I totally wacked on this one - splitting ?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1pre) Gecko/20090617 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials Beta

Post by Tom T. »

Ummm....
# Internet Browser:

* Windows Internet Explorer 6.0 or later
* Mozilla Firefox 2.0 or later
... could that maybe be an issue? They don't mention SeaMonkey or any other Gecko-based. I got the "en-us" cookie OK in F2, but couldn't d/l. Of course, MS likes to install from the web, which Firefox doesn't allow.

I went there in IE6, had to put it in Trusted zone (never use IE, but standard Internet Zone prohibits all scripting, etc.), and it worked fine, took me to a secure page where you have to log in, or register, as a beta tester to d/l their stuff.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Yes I saw that.
You would think that the browser would be immaterial.
I did - at least once have SeaMonkey 2 work correctly.
I also tried spoofing the User Agent to see if that was the issue, but that made no difference.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.22) Gecko/20090605 SeaMonkey/1.1.17
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Any Mozilla based browser should be fine. I posted about Essentials on my blog a while back but glad its finally released.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

IMHO only, I'm not going to trust the fox to guard the chicken coop. YMMV. Cheers.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

That's one way to look at it, but didn't the fox in your statement build the coop you are trying to protect? Anyway, OneCare was a descent attempt but it was flawed in the sense that they decided to build on existing code from another developer. This one is from the grounds up and builds on the concept of their malware removal tool and defender, both of which are quite excellent tools for what they are intended to do. So to each their own but to dismiss it without cause is a bit unfair and premature.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Tom T. wrote:IMHO only,... YMMV.
Yes, it's my opinion only, but the recent ClickOnce issue, silently weakening Fx for those (majority) who have Automatic Update set on fully Automatic, is, IMHO, just one more in a series of instances, from which your knowledge seems to make you immune, that do not give me confidence in MS as my defender. (May I ask why you are using Fx and NS instead of IE?). Yes, I have the fox, but I keep him on a tight leash, and have three German Shepherds and two Rottweilers protecting the chicken coop, which wasn't built very securely by the coop-builder. :D Cheers!
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

IMO, that's just a lot of FUD, based on some careless acts no doubt about it, but I can point out 100s of entities that have done worse and are more trusted, so its a personal choice I guess to let that forever rule your decisions or truly evaluate it for itself on the merits each time. My policy is that just because you have done wrong/bad things, doesn't mean you are always wrong/bad. I don't look at who says something, I look at what they say. Anyway, you know I have had my share of problems with M$ and will continue to have ideological disagreements with them but I give them credit when they do well and there is plenty of examples of that. And to answer your question, I use Fx mainly because I have to support it and also because of lovely colleagues like Giorgio who develop for it and a sense of community left over from having been a hacker all my life and using Linux for most of it. I have lots of issues with Fx too and ideological objects to it as well but its a matter of picking a cheater or a whore, the lesser of the two evils for the time being.