Every site is restricted

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
ns666

Every site is restricted

Post by ns666 »

I have used NoScript for a couple of years and all was well until a few days ago when I erased / reinstalled everything. Now it prevents javascript actions of every site until I add the site to the whitelist. I have repaired permissions, same. I have tried all three of the radio buttons for allowing top level, same. I would like to allow all top level sites by default (wheteher they have www, http or not) but it seems I must only chose only one form to allow. Just give me a way to allow http://www.example.com and I'll be happy.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Every site is restricted

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Just check NoScript Options|General|Allow top level sites by default and Base 2nd level domains.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060215 Firefox/3.0.11 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
ns666

Post by ns666 »

That is exactly how it has been set all day and it still doesn't allow any java. I disabled NoScript, restarted FF, enabled, restarted FF. Still blocks all embedded video. Not sure I'm explaining this correctly. When a page has a video embedded, it won't appear until I add the server to the whitelist. I have to add every server to the whitelist. I would like for all servers to be allowed. Any other ideas?

An aside: your confirmation code is very difficult to read. B looks like 8, 6 looks like an 8, Q looks like O, a Z at a 45 degree angle looks like an N at a 45 degree angle. I'm trying it for the 4th time now... wish me luck. Is it really necessary to make it so cryptic?
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X 10.4; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060214 Firefox/3.0.11
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

ns666 wrote:That is exactly how it has been set all day and it still doesn't allow any java.
Are we talking Java, the plug-in, or Javascript? Those are two very different tools, and the unfortunate naming choice in the 1990s still causes confusion to this day. Please specify. Thanks.
I disabled NoScript, restarted FF, enabled, restarted FF. Still blocks all embedded video.
Would these videos be powered by Flash, as is common? Flash is yet another different element from Javascript, though usually, you have to allow a site's JavaScript before the Flash video will work. Look in NoScript > Options > Plugins. If you wish to allow Flash from *everywhere* (not the safest choice, IMHO, but it's your choice), uncheck "Forbid Adobe Flash". Otherwise, you can enable any Flash video by clicking the red NoScript block-logo where the video should be. Or in the NoScript menu, you can point to the green "Blocked Objects", and click "Temporarily allow shockwave-flash etc...."
Not sure I'm explaining this correctly. When a page has a video embedded, it won't appear until I add the server to the whitelist. I have to add every server to the whitelist. I would like for all servers to be allowed. Any other ideas?
If you mean that you wish to allow Javascript globally, for all web sites in the world, that is a dangerous choice and defeats a large part of the purpose of NoScript. You may add the sites that you trust to your Whitelist, then their Javascript will always run for you. But again, you will still probably have to allow Flash to see the video. You can also uncheck, on the Plugins page, "Apply these restrictions to trusted sites, too". Then, for those sites in your whitelist, the sites you trust, not only Javascript but all plugins will be allowed: Flash, Apple QuickTime, MS Silverlight, etc. And the sites not in your trusted whitelist will still be blocked, and at least present you with a choice before running, as they should for your safety.

Does this explain it better, and are you now able to watch the videos that you would like to?
An aside: your confirmation code is very difficult to read. B looks like 8, 6 looks like an 8, Q looks like O, a Z at a 45 degree angle looks like an N at a 45 degree angle. I'm trying it for the 4th time now... wish me luck. Is it really necessary to make it so cryptic?
Ahh, you are referring to the Captchas, which prevent spambots from spamming the forum. Yes, we all find them annoying, but a constant flood of spam is even more annoying. They are deliberately cryptic because machines (bots) are getting better and better at recognizing characters, so they must be obscured more and more. At other sites, I have sometimes had to try two or three times before I was let in.
Please note that registering here takes only a couple of minutes, costs nothing, requires no personal information beyond a valid email address, which will be kept private, and eliminates the need to solve the Captcha. You are cordially invited to register. :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard