Is the spam filter stricter for Aurora/Nightly users?

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
barbaz

Is the spam filter stricter for Aurora/Nightly users?

Post by barbaz »

So I've been using SeaMonkey Nightly today just because I can, and I got quite a bit of spam filter trouble with my last two posts...
I don't think I'm posting anything against board rules or particularly different. Was there a recent change in spam filter, or is it just stricter for Aurora/Nightly users?
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26a1
therube
Ambassador

Re: Is the spam filter stricter for Aurora/Nightly users?

Post by therube »

One of my two setups is almost always Aurora & I don't even know what the spam filter is?
So no, I'm not seeing anything different.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0 SeaMonkey/2.25a2
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Maybe it doesn't apply to moderators, but on this board there's an automated spam filter that blocks certain posts (I'm guessing that match some pattern) from normal and unregistered users.
If Giorgio has nothing to say on this, can you (or someone else on the forum staff) please check this with a normal user account? (For example try to quote the code tags from this post, see if it'll let you preview. Didn't work for me on Nightly, and don't know if I'll get automatically banned for triggering spam filter too much, so not going to check this myself.)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26a1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Without giving away the secret sauce :P the filter looks for specific incarnations of things, so it matters not who is using what browser as long as those conditions are not created.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/6.9 (Windows NT 6.9; Win64; x64; rv:66.9) Gecko/20130609 Firefox/69.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:it matters not who is using what browser
Erm... it trips when I use a fake user-agent string...
But assuming you're talking only about Gecko based browsers, thanks for the info. I guess posting as much as I am, I was bound to have that happen sometime with some message from the Error Console, and it just coincided with the day I decided to give Nightly a try, oh well.
And it's not tripping for me in this thread so I think we can say this topic is resolved now, sorry for the trouble.
access2godzilla

Post by access2godzilla »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:it matters not who is using what browser
The spam filter does look at who is using what browser, Giorgio himself admits it here: http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... 172#p45914
Giorgio Maone wrote:The spam filter would be much more forgiving if you posted with your true user agent string, rather a fake UA which doesn't identifies it as a proper Gecko browser (yes, it's a good spam indicator on this forum).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/25.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

barbaz wrote:Erm... it trips when I use a fake user-agent string...
But assuming you're talking only about Gecko based browsers, thanks for the info. I guess posting as much as I am, I was bound to have that happen sometime with some message from the Error Console, and it just coincided with the day I decided to give Nightly a try, oh well.
And it's not tripping for me in this thread so I think we can say this topic is resolved now, sorry for the trouble.
Believe it or not, it happens to us too. Yes using a fake UA will definitely be a reason to trigger. I have been nabbed by that myself :oops:
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

access2godzilla wrote:The spam filter does look at who is using what browser, Giorgio himself admits it here: http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... 172#p45914
As I said to the OP just now, yes a fake UA would trigger it in certain cases. I stand by the statement that it doesn't care what browser you ACTUALLY are using, but it does care about the way it identifies itself, aka the UA which is not always the ACTUAL browser you are using. So, you are not blocked strictly on WHICH browser you ACTUALLY use, but could get triggered on if you identify yourself in such a way that is considered "SPAMMY", make sense?