Google's Anti-malvertising checks adware infested sites

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
luntrus

Google's Anti-malvertising checks adware infested sites

Post by luntrus »

Hi malware fighters,

You now can check sites for infected ads and banners. Anti-malvertising lets webmasters check for potential ad-firms, the service that had been launched in February has been re-launched and redone, go to: http://www.anti-malvertising.com/
The search engine there checks third party websites that scan malware ad-sites for these issues.
Here is an example search result for a site that was recently reported in the virus and worms section of an av forum:
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0076652537 ... &sa=Search
There is less Malvertising (for a definition of this threat see here: http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3727 )
when you use Bing, you see less crap then and have some added search-security, but it is even better not to use Google or Yahoo or Bing at all, and use Scroogle SSL without these issues altogether.
Also off-course you can block all ads with a good and decent hostsfile ABP (adblockplus), or use the following bookmarklet and use that in your browser:

Code: Select all

javascript:(function(){function%20R(w){try{var%20d=w.document,j,i,t,T,N,b,r=1,C;for(j=0;t=["object","embed","applet","iframe"][j];++j){T=d.getElementsByTagName(t);for(i=T.length-1;(i+1)&&(N=T[i]);--i)if(j!=3||!R((C=N.contentWindow)?C:N.contentDocument.defaultView)){b=d.createElement("div");b.style.width=N.width;%20b.style.height=N.height;b.innerHTML="<del>"+(j==3?"third-party%20"+t:t)+"</del>";N.parentNode.replaceChild(b,N);}}}catch(E){r=0}return%20r}R(self);var%20i,x;for(i=0;x=frames[i];++i)R(x)})()
Enjoy,

luntrus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1pre) Gecko/20090621 Shiretoko/3.5pre
therube
Ambassador

Re: Google's Anti-malvertising checks adware infested sites

Post by therube »

The bookmarklet can only works after the fact.
Further if you use the bookmarklet on the http://www.anti-malvertising.com/ website, you cannot enter a site to search.

How would using SSL Scroogle Search Engine have any affect relating to this at all?
How does Bing offer you "less crap" & "added security" then Google? (Other then a new name, is Bing different from Live?)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1pre) Gecko/20090617 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
luntrus

Post by luntrus »

Hi therube,

It is what you say, but you will find this (mis)-information I pass on online. "They" say that Bing does have less "malvertising" as Google has, but I am afraid they certainly have their own portion of malvertised ads, cybercrime will not leave Bing search alone.
You are right if you cleanse with the bookmarklet that is after the fact, Scroogle has no ads in the search results, so no malvertising ads either.
The problem for Google is the fact that more and more users (also for security reasons now) are going to block ads (ABP) or block requests with RP and that this could seriously endangering their main source of profits, that is why are so eager to go after malvertisers and filter this malcode out.
The most popular Malvertising vector active "in the wild" is a result of the client rendering of Adobe Flash SWF files that contain maliciously coded Flash ActionScript. If users haven't already dropped Adobe altogether, the security aware haven't learnt a thing,

luntrus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1pre) Gecko/20090621 Shiretoko/3.5pre
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

therube wrote:How would using SSL Scroogle Search Engine have any affect relating to this at all?
Been using Scroogle exclusively for quite a while. As luntrus said, it eliminates both ads *and* "sponsored links". It also offers an SSL version, which I use 100%, to help prevent any MITM or sniffing or whatever between you and Scroogle. It strips off your ID stuff, preventing Google's massive profiling of your search records for two years or more (presently a legal issue being contested). So all that pr0n you found through Google ... ;)

Yeah, Brandt (Scroogle guy) has this info if he wants it, but while he has his detractors (everyone who doesn't "follow the crowd" does), I'm not yet aware of him selling, renting, trading, or otherwise misusing it. Their site promises that search results are deleted within one hour, and server logs (with your IP etc.) are deleted within 48 hrs. Two days vs. two years or more. They carry no ads themselves. Actually, I should send them a donation.

Good statement of their purpose and justification are here.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard