This program was written and tested on Windows XP® SP2® Home® and Pro®, but should run on all other versions of XP. It is expected to run on 98®, 2000®, ME®, and Vista®, but has not been tested on those systems yet. (Beta testing and feedback on those systems appreciated.)
For any readers who are not familiar with batch files, instructions follow the program code and Readme.
- Code: Select all
rem Flash Cookie Remover® version 0.31 beta © Copyright 2009 by Tom T. SOME RIGHTS RESERVED.
rem Licensed under Creative Commons License v3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/)
if exist "%appdata%\macromedia" rd /s /q "%appdata%\macromedia"
if exist "%appdata%\adobe" rd /s /q "%appdata%\adobe"
if exist "%appdata%\sandbox\defaultbox\user\current\application data\macromedia" rd /s /q "%appdata%\sandbox\defaultbox\user\current\application data\macromedia"
if exist "%appdata%\sandbox\defaultbox\user\current\application data\adobe" rd /s /q "%appdata%\sandbox\defaultbox\user\current\application data\adobe"
Please copy and paste the following notes and instructions to a text document, "FCR Readme.txt" or similar. Please *read before using the program*, and keep handy for future reference. If you distribute the Program under the Creative Commons License listed, please note that the Readme file is part of the Program, and therefore must be distributed as part of it, subject to the Modification exceptions provided under the full text of the License.
README for Flash Cookie Remover® version 0.31 beta. © Copyright 2009 by Tom T. SOME RIGHTS RESERVED. Licensed under Creative Commons License v3.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/)
PLEASE READ BEFORE SETUP OR USE.
1) CAUTION: If you have other products installed that were once under the Macromedia brand before its acquisition by Adobe, such as Dreamweaver®, click Start > Run and type %appdata%\macromedia (enter) to see if any other products besides Flash store information in the Macromedia folder. If so, and you wish to retain such information, add \Flash Player to the appropriate lines, with or without Sandboxie, e. g.
- Code: Select all
if exist "%appdata%\macromedia\Flash Player" rd /s /q "%appdata%\macromedia\Flash Player"
2) If you prefer to keep other Adobe information in the Adobe folder, modify the Adobe line by adding the specific folder:
- Code: Select all
if exist "%appdata%\adobe\Flash Player" rd /s /q "%appdata%\adobe\Flash Player"
I use no other Adobe products, but noted that playing a Flash video created a numbered folder inside the Adobe\Flash folder, which number I presume is unique, and therefore identifying and potentially a privacy leak. I don't like having useless, empty folders on my system anyway.
3) Sandboxie® users who browse with multiple sandboxes running simultaneously may have to copy and add lines substituting the name of each additional sandbox for "defaultbox". This does not apply to non-registered Sandboxie users, for whom the above is sufficient.
4) If you are using Flash Cookie Remover® as a replacement for the Firefox add-on, "Better Privacy®", the latter performs two other privacy-related functions. Replace these functions as follows:
- For the blocking of <a ping...>, use Firefox NoScript add-on > Options > Untrusted > check "Forbid <a ping...>", and in Options > Trusted, uncheck "Allow <a ping...>".
- To disable DOM storage, go to about:config, enter dom.s in the Filter bar, and double-click "dom.storage.enabled" to toggle it to False.
5) Instructions for novice Batch File users:
- Copy and paste the above code lines to a text document.
- Save as "Flash Cookie Remover.bat." When prompted about the extension change, click "yes"
- After finishing your use of Flash at a site, double-click the icon. All Flash and Adobe cookies and folders will be deleted.
- I always put the "pause" in my batch files until I'm satisfied that they're working properly for me, so that I can see any error messages. When you are similarly satisfied, you may eliminate the line containing the "pause". The program will now run in a split-second and disappear.
- These folders are created, whether in Sandboxie or on your system, only when needed. They will re-create the next time you use Flash, so no worries about deleting it. Thus, eliminate the "pause" when it tests well for you.
DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS OFFERED IN THE HOPE THAT IT MIGHT BE USEFUL, BUT IS OFFERED "AS-IS"; CONVEYS NO RIGHTS; AND CARRIES NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE AUTHOR CANNOT ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, FROM USE OF THE ABOVE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH THESE TERMS, DO NOT USE THIS INFORMATION OR PROGRAM.
THIS PROGRAM IS SOLELY THE WORK OF THIS AUTHOR, AND NOT OF NOSCRIPT, THIS FORUM, GIORGIO MAONE, OR INFORMACTION. NO SUPPORT IS OFFERED AT THIS FORUM OR ANYWHERE ELSE. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
THE SOFTWARE IS NOT FAULT-TOLERANT AND SHOULD NOT BE USED IN NUCLEAR POWER PLANT MANAGEMENT, LIVE AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL, HOSPITAL OPERATING ROOMS OR MONITORING SYSTEMS, OR IN ANY OTHER SITUATION IN WHICH FAILURE OF THE SOFTWARE MAY POSE AN IMMEDIATE HAZARD TO LIFE OR LIMB, OR OF SUBSTANTIAL PROPERTY DAMAGE.
The author wishes to thank Foam Head for valuable feedback on Versions 0.1. and 0.2.
The author wishes to thank Giorgio Maone and forums.informaction.com for hosting.
(end of Readme file)
v 0.31 beta 20090624 0520 UTC
x corrected names of Flash Player folders
x completed quotes of commands, obviating reference to same in Readme.
v 0.3 beta 20090622 0605 UTC
+ added Readme
+ added instructions to disable DOM storage and block <a ping...>, as a much-larger Firefox add-on also did
x completed retrofitting of changelog
+ additional acknowledgments
v0.21 beta 20090620 0938 UTC
+ Added "if exist" to eliminate all needless error messages. Eliminated as no longer relevant the Instructions relating to said messages.
+ More specific intro re: systems supported, names of target elements.
+ Started changelog (incomplete)
v 0.2 beta 20090618 0330 UTC
x Added versioning
x Added compatibility info
x Included license in code as well as on presentation page
v 0.1 beta, first version, posted 20090615 0551 UTC
© 2009 by Tom T. SOME RIGHTS RESERVED. This work is licensed for the good of the Internet Community under the Creative Commons License v3.0. See the following Web page for details: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/