Random Hangs

Bug reports and enhancement requests
therube
Ambassador

Random Hangs

Post by therube »

(Man this is going to be mighty general.)

Random Hangs

Lately, & perhaps not even Noscript related, I will get random hangs, delays.

On one site I ran into, when JavaScript was enabled, I would run into a delay in thumbnailed picture opening.
It was as if I clicked the thumbnail, & then nothing happened until the full sized picture fully cached & then opened all at once, rather then the full size picture "drawing" as it downloaded. (But in this instance, I believe the "thumb" was simply the full size image, just formatted smaller. I'll have to try to find the site & see if I can duplicate.)

Other times, it could be anything. Hitting the Close Tab button, & it could remain "depressed" for a number of seconds. Or hitting return on the URL bar, a delay before any action performed, like the site loading.

Just pointing this out here in case anyone else has observed something similar with recent versions of NoScript.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090403 SeaMonkey/1.1.16
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Random Hangs

Post by Tom T. »

Yes, Yahoo Mail showed strange behavior last night and today -- hangs, as you said. Today I got a notice: "A script on this page has stopped running. Retry, or continue without it?" The latter made it work. Just sending mail, nothing fancy. Also my post about site's preview function freezing. -- which also cleared up eventually. Haven't tried to reproduce it yet today. Saw that you couldn't. So yes, "random" things are going on. We need more reports.... anyone?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Speaking of that, what I was seeing was not Unresponsive Script warning related.

Also, during the hang there was no undue CPU activity, nor was Mem Usage outrageous or even large discrepancies between Mem Usage & VM Size (that would tend to indicated that SeaMonkey had spooled out to disk).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090403 SeaMonkey/1.1.16
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

therube wrote:Also, during the hang there was no undue CPU activity, nor was Mem Usage outrageous or even large discrepancies between Mem Usage & VM Size (that would tend to indicated that SeaMonkey had spooled out to disk).
I don't have VM (disabled and deleted pagefile.sys), but will remember to check mem usage if any of this happens again. IIRC, there's a green icon in taskbar whenever processor pegs. Haven't seen that either.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I have been getting that too, it seems to be an FX issue. I installed the RC of the 3.0.11 and it seemed to speed up things and make it a bit more stable. Fx has been messing up bad since the introduction of 3.x and they claim its their best version, doubtful.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:I have been getting that too, it seems to be an FX issue. I installed the RC of the 3.0.11 and it seemed to speed up things and make it a bit more stable. Fx has been messing up bad since the introduction of 3.x and they claim its their best version, doubtful.

Guard, ol' pal, weren't we just having a pleasant discussion about "older isn't always better, but newer isn't always better, either"? ;)
Last edited by Tom T. on Sat May 30, 2009 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adjust font size
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Yeap, on average 3.x has been a poor release with security and functional problems and constant M$ style patching and updates and still it sucks and performs sub-par, making for a very frustrating experience.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009051909 Firefox/3.0.11
Nan M
Ambassador

Post by Nan M »

It is very vague, but it is definitely a UI effect here too.
Tabs unresponsive for many seconds after opening. Unable to change focus to them, that kind of thing.
Text input lagging initially for many seconds.

The symptoms arose less than a week ago. From memory (and I have to emphasise that I have been busy, so my memory could be quite unreliable) the trademark tab freeze and text input freeze began in the middle of a session. Thereafter every new session after a system close (not a browser close) had the freeze symtpoms.
They appear to settle down after a few page requests. The feeling is very unsettling, hence noticeable above the usual random network dns slowdowns.
As with therube, there's no cpu spikes on the system monitor (for Ubuntu there are a couple of very reliable little system hooks that report very clearly) and no network activity at the same time.

Reverting to the AMO version now for an informal few days of testing.
Sorry I haven't time to do more profile, machine, and version comparisons right now.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042523 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.0.10
Nan M
Ambassador

Post by Nan M »

Had a few minutes just now, so ran the latest version on the XP machine.
Clean profile, no extensions except 1.9.3.6, all defaults. No noticeable wobbles anywhere.
Clean NS profile with ABE toggled off. No noticeable difference from the default.

1.9.3.6, ABE toggled on, custom config, JSView, TinyURL,Perspectives, RefControl, ShowIP, NukeAnythingEnhanced, JavaQuickstarter (disabled), Flashgot (disabled) No noticeable wobbles.
Same with ABE toggled off.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Nan M
Ambassador

Post by Nan M »

With latest 1.9.3.6, ABE enabled, no more UI hangs here in Ubuntu either - response of sites with google temp allowed is now just fine too, although I think the lag there may have been a google problem, not here in NS.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042523 Ubuntu/9.04 (jaunty) Firefox/3.0.10