Youtube Video Fragments/Parts

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Goblin

Youtube Video Fragments/Parts

Post by Goblin »

In the previous releases of FlashGot, i was able to download a youtube video from any second (like version 1.5.2):

But now it grabs all the available codecs for the video form the beginning :

so now i have to download the whole video and cut out the part i want.

the old method that FlashGot used to grab the video was more paractical.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0
therube
Ambassador

Re: Youtube Video Fragments/Parts

Post by therube »

I'm not sure I'm following?

The .asf files are nothing but pointers, they do not contain actual file data.

What did change is that on Youtube all available file sizes & formats are listed.
You would choose the one(s) you would want.

Now on particular sites, you could advance through the playback (& assuming that part had not yet been cached), & each part (fragment, section) could be downloaded without downloading the entire clip. So you could start the download at the 10:min mark, instead of starting from the 0:min.

(Don't recall if that was afforded at Youtube before or if it is now?)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:22.0) Gecko/20100101 SeaMonkey/2.19a2
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

therube wrote: (Don't recall if that was afforded at Youtube before or if it is now?)
The problem is that recently Youtube's player started fetching movie streams in chunks by default, therefore there's no way to tell whether a certain chunk request is due to the automatic progression of the movie or to the user actually moving the cursor forward and backward.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0
Goblin

Post by Goblin »

Giorgio Maone wrote: The problem is that recently Youtube's player started fetching movie streams in chunks by default, therefore there's no way to tell whether a certain chunk request is due to the automatic progression of the movie or to the user actually moving the cursor forward and backward.
Note: Both images taken today, the first one using FlashGot (v1.5.2), and the second one using the latest FlashGot available.
therube wrote:I'm not sure I'm following?)
i recommend you to downgrade FlashGot to understand what i mean.

- Try moving the cursor forward so that it starts buffering again, and you will find that a FlashGot captured a new stream (smaller in size) of the current video from the current second.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0