[solved] New user - version/updates question

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Eice

[solved] New user - version/updates question

Post by Eice »

Sorry if this has been posted before, but the search function wasn't helpful. :(

I notice that the version numbers reported on the NoScript homepage and on AMO are different, with the one on the homepage being the newer. Is it a normal occurrence for versions uploaded to AMO to lag behind the latest versions? Also, if I download the copy provided on the NoScript homepage, will I still receive update notifications for NoScript via Firefox's update system?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Eice on Sun May 24, 2009 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2a1pre) Gecko/20090523 Minefield/3.6a1pre
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: New user - version/updates question

Post by Tom T. »

Eice wrote:I notice that the version numbers reported on the NoScript homepage and on AMO are different, with the one on the homepage being the newer. Is it a normal occurrence for versions uploaded to AMO to lag behind the latest versions?
Yes. Not always, but it happens. There can be a lag in getting stuff through AMO, a process I've never dug into, although Giorgio could give you the details if you really needed them. Just to make sure, though, we *are* talking about "Latest stable release" (which is marked as such), and not "Latest development build", which is for those willing to test it before it is officially released to AMO, correct? Sometimes those two will be the same: the dev build *is* the stable release. Just wanted to make sure you weren't comparing a test build version # to the AMO version #, which is always the approved stable build.
Eice wrote:Also, if I download the copy provided on the NoScript homepage, will I still receive update notifications for NoScript via Firefox's update system?
Thanks in advance.
If you have a version number equal to or greater than the one at AMO, the updater reads that and has no need to notify you. If subsequently, a version is released through AMO that is more current than yours, the fact that you might previously have d/l from NS page won't prevent you from being notified, if that was a concern. Always want you to have the latest stable build (and welcome those willing to test dev. builds and report any bugs).
You're very welcome.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Yes, the lag is normal. AMO doesn't officially release it until the update has been examined by one of their editors. It is also available from the AMO NoScript version history page: listed as Experimental until it's been examined. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... rsions/722

Even if you download the copy provided on the NoScript homepage, you will still receive update notifications for NoScript via Firefox's update system.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Eice

Post by Eice »

Thanks for the replies.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2a1pre) Gecko/20090523 Minefield/3.6a1pre
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Re: [solved] New user - version/updates question

Post by Alan Baxter »

You're welcome.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

That's interesting. I always get my latest version from NoScript homepage and my Fx never gives me an update notice, since its already the latest version. I need to see why its doing different than you said.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:That's interesting. I always get my latest version from NoScript homepage and my Fx never gives me an update notice, since its already the latest version. I need to see why its doing different than you said.
Thanks for confirming my experience, GµårÐïåñ.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: [solved] New user - version/updates question

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

You are welcome, I found it weird since when I update to the latest version directly from NS website, I never get any kind of update notifications from AMO in Fx.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10