how to block yahoo text and chat

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
ashrc4

how to block yahoo text and chat

Post by ashrc4 »

People over at dslr are upset at Yahoo's new text and chat fuction and would love a work around if you have one.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r220122 ... obile-text
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: how to block yahoo text and chat

Post by Tom T. »

ashrc4 wrote:People over at dslr are upset at Yahoo's new text and chat fuction and would love a work around if you have one.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r220122 ... obile-text
Add yahooapis.com to your Untrusted list. Also, if the Chat does load, click the "available" and choose "offline", "unavailable" or whatever. It should then not bother you. This is based on computer experience only -- I don't have this feature in cell phone, or use a Blackberry, etc. Let us know if this helps.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Unfortunately yahooapis.com is necessary for some trusted sites to function properly and putting it on a permanent untrusted will have functionality issues but unfortunately until we can have individual site configuration (policy) you need to find another way. Some suggestions I can offer, you can use SiteBlock or even ABP (less reliably) to block the specific scripts running on the yahooapis.com related to that site as to break its functionality or use RequestPolicy like myself to block access to script functions by not giving cross access permissions. The chat on yahoo totally bugs me not as its castrated (if I may borrow a term from Giorgio) like you wouldn't believe.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Unfortunately yahooapis.com is necessary for some trusted sites to function properly
Sites *other* than Yahoo? Why would that be? Sounds like a huge red flag to me.
Been using Yahoo Mail for years (Classic) and for the basic set of features, have never allowed yahooapis. If you want the personalized home page and such, that's a decision you need to make, knowing that some junk will get through too.

Also, am showing a number of blocked objects, including Flash. I have Flash blocked at all sites (I have everything blocked at all sites, unless and until needed, pretty much the default NS 100% lockdown), so there's another place to look. Also, there's a blocked object *@http://mail.yimg.com. So this lockdown is preventing the chat etc. from loading. You *do* have to allow scripting from the domain yimg.com, as well as yahoo.com or mail.yahoo.com, for the mail to work properly. But keeping all of NS > Options > Plugins checked, including "apply to trusted sites too" seems to be keeping the unwanted stuff out. In fact, while typing this message, I tried to make myself "online'" in Y Mail Chat. It's been "loading" forever, doing nothing, so the lockdown is working.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:Sites *other* than Yahoo? Why would that be? Sounds like a huge red flag to me.
Been using Yahoo Mail for years (Classic) and for the basic set of features, have never allowed yahooapis. If you want the personalized home page and such, that's a decision you need to make, knowing that some junk will get through too.
Yes, like googleapis.com, yahooapis.com are used for modularized Ajax and UI components used by forums, some websites that don't have or can't host their own and so on. You don't need to allow it, especially if you use Mail Classic, but many do like the new features of the Yahoo Mail which does require the APIs to provide the better functionality of interface, same reason other sites use it.
Also, am showing a number of blocked objects, including Flash. I have Flash blocked at all sites (I have everything blocked at all sites, unless and until needed, pretty much the default NS 100% lockdown), so there's another place to look. Also, there's a blocked object *@http://mail.yimg.com. So this lockdown is preventing the chat etc. from loading. You *do* have to allow scripting from the domain yimg.com, as well as yahoo.com or mail.yahoo.com, for the mail to work properly. But keeping all of NS > Options > Plugins checked, including "apply to trusted sites too" seems to be keeping the unwanted stuff out. In fact, while typing this message, I tried to make myself "online'" in Y Mail Chat. It's been "loading" forever, doing nothing, so the lockdown is working.
Well as much and you and I may enjoy or be willing to go with the total lockdown and allow when needed, many don't have that discipline or patience and prefer to just whitelist what they commonly use and not have to deal with that. A personal choice really and they are entitled to it, so when possible, if they ask specifically, they should be told how to do it their way if they want.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:Yes, like googleapis.com, yahooapis.com are used for modularized Ajax and UI components used by forums, some websites that don't have or can't host their own and so on.
Have had both Untrusted since they first showed their face, and never had a problem. But then, everyone visits different sites and wants different features. (I want security first, but that's just MHO.)
Tom T wrote:Also, am showing a number of blocked objects, including Flash. I have Flash blocked at all sites (I have everything blocked at all sites, unless and until needed, pretty much the default NS 100% lockdown), so there's another place to look. Also, there's a blocked object *@http://mail.yimg.com. So this lockdown is preventing the chat etc. from loading. You *do* have to allow scripting from the domain yimg.com, as well as yahoo.com or mail.yahoo.com, for the mail to work properly. But keeping all of NS > Options > Plugins checked, including "apply to trusted sites too" seems to be keeping the unwanted stuff out. In fact, while typing this message, I tried to make myself "online'" in Y Mail Chat. It's been "loading" forever, doing nothing, so the lockdown is working.
GµårÐïåñ wrote:Well as much and you and I may enjoy or be willing to go with the total lockdown and allow when needed, many don't have that discipline or patience and prefer to just whitelist what they commonly use and not have to deal with that. A personal choice really and they are entitled to it, so when possible, if they ask specifically, they should be told how to do it their way if they want.
No disrespect, GµårÐïåñ -- ever, as you know -- but OP asked how to block Y chat and IM, and I gave him a sure-fire solution using NS only and not adding or configuring any additional add-ons. Haven't heard back, so OP must not have any complaints... yet. Appreciate your input as always.

As for keeping Flash default-blocked, it leaves the clickable placeholder for any individual .swf I might want, without default-allowing all Flash. Cheers!
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:Have had both Untrusted since they first showed their face, and never had a problem. But then, everyone visits different sites and wants different features. (I want security first, but that's just MHO.)
Same here and on occasions I do need to give it temp access for certain sites but doesn't bother me to keep it disabled.
Tom T wrote:No disrespect, GµårÐïåñ -- ever, as you know -- but OP asked how to block Y chat and IM, and I gave him a sure-fire solution using NS only and not adding or configuring any additional add-ons. Haven't heard back, so OP must not have any complaints... yet. Appreciate your input as always.

As for keeping Flash default-blocked, it leaves the clickable placeholder for any individual .swf I might want, without default-allowing all Flash. Cheers!
No disrespect or offense taken at all, and I hope you didn't either, I was just pointing out that the sure-fire way might break other functionality and the OP needs to know that so they don't come back on another day and say that something else isn't working and this ends up being the reason. As long as they know what to expect, it is a sure-fire way and they are welcome to it. We are both just providing two sides of a coin, never hurts to be thorough does it? ;)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:never hurts to be thorough does it? ;)
Nope! Two heads are better than one -- everybody is smarter than anybody. :)