Question: Orbit Downloader

General discussion about the FlashGot extension for Firefox
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Question: Orbit Downloader

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

For those of you who are familiar with this downloader, I have a question to pose to you. Some background, I started using this downloader on a recommendation from therube (thank you) but have noticed that each and every time it runs (downloads something) an entry for iexplore.exe shows up in my task manager. Now I am assuming this is because its using the IE download engine to get stuff which I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't leave them littered around and stuck behind. The only way to get rid of them is to close Orbit (doesn't always close the threads) or do a terminate process tree on orbitdm.exe in the task manager which seems a bit excessive and cumbersome to do.

I know I have not asked my question so here it comes: has anyone else noticed this? or is this something screwy on my system? I would appreciate your feedback to help me decide to keep this puppy or not, I have nothing against the tool, it works well enough I suppose but I have somewhat of a principle objection to IE and anything that relies on it like this loses alot in my eyes, especially that it seems not to clean up after itself. Thank you all.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
therube
Ambassador

Re: Question: Orbit Downloader

Post by therube »

Short answer, I don't see this at all.

(My answers are never short ... stay tuned.)

Install ... Create desktop icon, uncheck Enable Grab Pro for IE.

Settings ... Accelerate (Orbitnet) uncheck. Monitoring all unchecked including Browser integration, except I do have Allow IE to download if you press Cancel. (It could be the Browser Integration ...)

Even with Browser Integration check, FF, I'm still not seeing iexplorer.exe's pop up. (Not sure what this "integration" is supposed to do? And with so many varieties of FF installed, not sure if it might do something with one version & not others?)

When I manually open IE, TWO instances of iexplore.exe appear in Task Manager? (IE8, XP SP3)

So no, I'm not seeing this at all?

(PS: I don't do too much with Orbit, my primary downloader is Net Transport, having used that since the free version days. Just suits me. Orbit's Grab++ module does (generally) have better media detection support then Net Transport, or there may be times when one will see the media where the other will not, or vice-vesa, so I may alternate, but in general it is always Net Transport that I use.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b5pre) Gecko/20090507 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

therube, as always, thank you very much and I will do a bit more research and adjust my environment variables and see what gives. I will keep you posted anything should pop up. In the meantime, will try giving Net Transport a short and see, I am always looking for a lean, mean, efficient machine when it comes to downloading tools. You have been a great help in this area giving me new options as have others, thanks.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

When I manually open IE, TWO instances of iexplore.exe appear in Task Manager? (IE8, XP SP3)
Looks like that is par for the course. At least I see this on two separate computers, so I'll assume it is normal.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.21) Gecko/20090403 SeaMonkey/1.1.16