[RESOLVED] Request: Ignored domains (eg google-analytics)

Bug reports and enhancement requests
gumpish

[RESOLVED] Request: Ignored domains (eg google-analytics)

Post by gumpish »

When I use NoScript occasionally I temporarily or permanently allow content from the site I am currently visiting.

Sometimes this does not result in the functionality I am expecting from the page so I go to see if NoScript has a list of other domains the page wants to load blocked content from.

Quite often this will be google-analytics.com (which I choose to block) but there are other frequent offenders whose content is just as likely to be irrelevant to me.

It would be nice to be able to tell at a glance that if there is any content being blocked on the current page, that it is only from these never-useful domains.

This could be accomplished by allowing for a blacklist or "ignored list", such that if all of the domains being blocked on a page are on the blacklist then the NoScript icon either is the regular blue S (for all content allowed on this page) or a new icon could be devised to expressly show that there is still blocked content but that it is ONLY from what you consider to be JUNK domains.

Thanks for your consideration!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009042113 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.9
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Request: Ignored domains (eg google-analytics)

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Maybe this?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

gumpish wrote:It would be nice to be able to tell at a glance that if there is any content being blocked on the current page, that it is only from these never-useful domains.

This could be accomplished by allowing for a blacklist or "ignored list", such that if all of the domains being blocked on a page are on the blacklist then the NoScript icon either is the regular blue S (for all content allowed on this page) or a new icon could be devised to expressly show that there is still blocked content but that it is ONLY from what you consider to be JUNK domains.
Good request. So good it's been implemented already. From http://noscript.net/features#basics:
Image - this means scripts are allowed for some URLs, and all the other ones are marked as untrusted.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
gumpish

Post by gumpish »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Great minds think alike? :D

Sorry for the apparently superfluous request...

I must have seen the Untrusted menu thousands of times, but it never occurred to me that it would be a way make a site untrusted (I thought that the menu would only apply to content already regarded as untrusted - I think my expectation was to see such an option listed alongside the Allow or Forbid options, but I understand that this would make the menu much too big!)

Maybe if the Untrusted menu were relabeled "Manage Untrusted..." I might have caught it.

But yes, I could have done a better job of looking at the documentation. :oops:

Thanks!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009042113 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.9
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

gumpish wrote:Maybe if the Untrusted menu were relabeled "Manage Untrusted..." I might have caught it.
Good suggestion. Maybe Giorgio will make this little change to improve discoverability. Hint, hint.

No need to feel too embarrassed. I've had years to absorb the NoScript docs through multiple searches and readings, as well as being there when each of the features was introduced. There's still some things I need to have Giorgio explain to me periodically.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10