Is there a way to set the duration of "Temporarily Allow"?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
sfchris

Is there a way to set the duration of "Temporarily Allow"?

Post by sfchris »

Sometimes I get lazy and just want to "Temporarily Allow" for a particular page, perhaps even allowing the nefarious doubleclick in the process.

But I don't want my laziness to make me a sitting duck for the script vultures for hours afterwards. Is there any way to set the duration of "Temporarily Allow" to say, 5 minutes?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100611 Firefox/3.6.4
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Is there a way to set the duration of "Temporarily Allow

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Not currently.
It might be added in future.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Close the browser and restart it?

Perhaps using the "save my tabs" feature? I don't use that, as auto-emptying my sandbox on close would kill it anyway, so I don't know whether it would save temporary NS permissions, which ordinarily expire when the browser is closed.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/12.0

Post by Guest »

Tom T. wrote:Close the browser and restart it?

Perhaps using the "save my tabs" feature? I don't use that, as auto-emptying my sandbox on close would kill it anyway, so I don't know whether it would save temporary NS permissions, which ordinarily expire when the browser is closed.
Sorry Tom, that's pretty much a useless suggestion. You may as well not have replied.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.4) Gecko/20100611 Firefox/3.6.4
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Guest wrote:

Sorry Tom, that's pretty much a useless suggestion. You may as well not have replied.
Perhaps it's useless to you. It may be useful to others.

Some leave their browser running for days at a time, apparently. I close/restart mine frequently, for this and other reasons. I don't like a lot of temp permissions, cookies, etc. floating around for a long time.

If you didn't like the suggestion, you were free not to use it. I don't see why I should be chastised for putting the idea out there, except that it did provide an opportunity to post the above safer-browsing practices, so thank you.

Edit: You're using Fx 3.6.4? Obviously, safe browsing is not a concern to you. (Guest is same user as OP, by IP)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.28) Gecko/20120306 Firefox/12.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

If I've found it necessary to TA a number of times, & in particular on sites I typically would not frequent, I just Revoke Temporary Permissions when I've finished with the particular sites. Now that revokes globally, so perhaps some other site where I didn't want to revoke is also affected, but I know that ahead of time, & expect that I may need to TA again for those sites affected.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:14.0) Gecko/20120426 Firefox/14.0a2 SeaMonkey/2.11a2

Post by Guest »

Tom T. wrote:
Guest wrote:

Perhaps it's useless to you. It may be useful to others.

Some leave their browser running for days at a time, apparently. I close/restart mine frequently, for this and other reasons. I don't like a lot of temp permissions, cookies, etc. floating around for a long time.

If you didn't like the suggestion, you were free not to use it. I don't see why I should be chastised for putting the idea out there, except that it did provide an opportunity to post the above safer-browsing practices, so thank you.

Edit: You're using Fx 3.6.4? Obviously, safe browsing is not a concern to you. (Guest is same user as OP, by IP)

Get a life, Tom. Suggesting someone close the browser is not an answer to this particular question.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

sfchris, can we leave it at that :-).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:14.0) Gecko/20120426 Firefox/14.0a2 SeaMonkey/2.11a2
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

therube wrote:sfchris, can we leave it at that :-).
Apparently not. Two consecutive insults in two posts. Banned for 7 days. Forum Rules #4.

Yes, I could definitely do other things with my life than volunteer here at no pay. So could the other three unpaid volunteer team members.
Then Giorgio could hire a paid staff, and charge USD $50 or more for NoScript so he could pay them.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

Tom T. wrote:
therube wrote:sfchris, can we leave it at that :-).
Apparently not. Two consecutive insults in two posts. Banned for 7 days. Forum Rules #4.

Yes, I could definitely do other things with my life than volunteer here at no pay. So could the other three unpaid volunteer team members.
Then Giorgio could hire a paid staff, and charge USD $50 or more for NoScript so he could pay them.
Insulting the moderator...rude and impolitic :D.

I frequently leave my browser open for days...with hibernation in between...but I'm vigilant about temporarily allowing things, and usually only do it when experimenting to see what a page actually needs. Still, closing the browser regularly is sensible procedure, if only to pick up addon updates. And If Giorgio's going to eventually introduce timed allow, then I think browser restarts make sense in the interim as a workaround.

I'd love to configure Firefox to always ask before setting cookies, but it quickly gets to be a major pain, so I settle for session-only cookies and TACO (plus RequestPolicy, which probably helps).
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686 on x86_64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

First off, closing your browser and not leaving it open aimlessly for days is a very good advice, and in fact a must if you actually know what you are doing.

Second, as with therube, I revoke temp permissions when I am done, otherwise they would be allowed which would defeat the need for a timer to expire TA, or close the browser when I am done, dumping the whole kit and kaboodle.

Finally, no matter how you feel about someone's response, if you are a mature person with any sense of civility and rationality, you would just listen, use it, or leave it. At the most, use it and thank them, or at the very least, read it, ignore it and move on. When you get nasty, it shows lack of maturity and frankly makes your position and point less valid, no more.

Now, any more crap and we can just lock this topic and be done with it.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/535.19 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/18.0.1025.152 Safari/535.19 Comodo_Dragon/18.1.2.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Thrawn wrote:... I'd love to configure Firefox to always ask before setting cookies, but it quickly gets to be a major pain, so I settle for session-only cookies and TACO (plus RequestPolicy, which probably helps).
Hmm... For years, I've used that setting: Accept cookies (not 3rd-party), and "keep until" > "Ask me every time".

One's favorite sites are quickly configured permanently. I visit a lot of sites in the course of doing support that I wouldn't visit elsewise, and need to keep that option (which includes "deny") to see if cookie permissions affect the issue. For personal browsing, I prefer to deny at any new site where it won't break the site or the needed function. The "ask every time" permits the denial or acceptance, with "remember this setting" checked when you're sure that this will be your permanent preference.
[color=#00AA00][b]GµårÐïåñ[/b][/color] wrote:First off, closing your browser and not leaving it open aimlessly for days is a very good advice, and in fact a must if you actually know what you are doing.
My thoughts exactly, but I was too polite to say it. :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

closing your browser and not leaving it open aimlessly for days is a very good advice
Why?
Why is it OK not to reboot my computer for a month, yet I should do it regularly with my browser?

If not for daily (browser) updates, or extension updates (& we know some which are the most updated), or the need to close due to ever expanding memory usage (& it is not the memory usage itself but he deterioration of the browsing experience), I likely would not close for ... well until my computer required a reboot (like with the monthly MS security updates).

(Now all that is in a more perfect world.)

Used to have an Altos Computer 1000 system that ran MS Xenix (UNIX) that literally ran for years without a reboot. Built like a tank! (Check out the specs on that.)

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:14.0) Gecko/20120502 Firefox/14.0a2 SeaMonkey/2.11a2
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:My thoughts exactly, but I was too polite to say it. :D
I am at a point in my life and have dealt with so many people that I just say it like I see it. I figure being honest and sincere, however blunt, goes a lot further than blowing sunshine up people's arse and being less than sincere. Some may think its rude, but at least EVERYONE knows the mask you wear is one and what to expect from you at all times, there is no need to be pretentious, however cliche that may be.
therube wrote:Why?
Why is it OK not to reboot my computer for a month, yet I should do it regularly with my browser?
Just because you CAN leave your computer running for a month without a reboot, doesn't mean its a good idea, you are burning the clock cycles on it, which means it will live a shorter life, you overload and corrupt your memory allocations, hard disk tables and a host of other issues, unless you are running a server, which even that requires a reboot on average with good practices once a week at most. Browsers, specially like FX with horrible memory issues and so many poorly designed addons that make things worse, its a horrible idea to leave it open for more than a full day's worth, although if you are inclined to let it stay open and have all the "crap" it has accumulated remain in play, your call, have at it.
If not for daily (browser) updates, or extension updates (& we know some which are the most updated), or the need to close due to ever expanding memory usage (& it is not the memory usage itself but he deterioration of the browsing experience), I likely would not close for ... well until my computer required a reboot (like with the monthly MS security updates).
Don't look now but you just made my point for me, "expanding memory usage" which is inevitable when you leave it open for too long. Again to each their own but that's just a bad idea from all kinds of aspects, including security, efficiency and simply waste.

Again, at the end of the day, to each their own. But it doesn't make the suggestion any less valid. People are told, don't drink too much it will blow your liver (sound advice), but that doesn't stop millions from drinking themselves into a grave, so why should the advice to close your browser, if YOU don't want to do it be any different? Your choice, your call, your consequence.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

OK, I've tried setting Cookies back to 'Always Ask', and it's not as bad as I recall; will probably leave it that way. The nuisance is when you tell the dialog box to always allow cookies for a site, and then it asks you again when the site wants to modify an existing cookie, and then again once the site has set about 10 of them...especially since the cookie dialog box is modal. But I'll see how I go.
GµårÐïåñ wrote: Just because you CAN leave your computer running for a month without a reboot, doesn't mean its a good idea, you are burning the clock cycles on it, which means it will live a shorter life, you overload and corrupt your memory allocations, hard disk tables and a host of other issues, unless you are running a server, which even that requires a reboot on average with good practices once a week at most.
Leaving Firefox open for days was more in a work context, where I do actually run a local server :). But I've still been shutting everything down over the weekend. And it makes sense to close everything but save tabs daily (Ctrl+Q works well with multiple windows open). Will try to pick up my game there.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0