Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
bill_mcgonigle

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Post by bill_mcgonigle »

Just read through the last 13 pages of posts, and find it worth noting that Giorgio didn't break ABP until it broke NoScript's install system. Giorgio's mistake was hitting back, at which point he lost the moral high ground. When hearts and minds are involved, it's always better to take one on the chin and make sure everybody knows about it.

However, I realize that this whole situation is actually not Ares2's fault, or Giorgio's fault - it's my fault. See, I've been using NoScript for a couple years and haven't donated. Giorgio is trying to provide for his family and spends untold hours as an open source developer, relying on scarce revenue, and that frankly puts him at risk. I've been in the same boat myself. I donate regularly to open source projects, but I neglected NoScript. For something I depend on so heavily, that's just unacceptable.

So, I just put in a $5 donation. I know it's not much, but it's what I can do right now. In addition, I'm writing this little admonishment to my fellow free-loaders to straighten up. Yes, Giorgio f-ed up. He made a bad call. I think it's pretty clear he learned his lesson, and will take a more considered approach in the future. But those of us who are his long-time users need to address the root cause and play our part in this process. If each of his regular users gives only what they each spent on a fancy coffee in the past year, he'd be doing well for his family, we'd ensure the continuation of NoScript, and just maybe he could get some sleep.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042708 Fedora/3.0.10-1.fc10 Firefox/3.0.10
p2u

Post by p2u »

@ Giorgio:
I'm very sad about what happened but I understand the reasons behind it. Please put that NoScript Support thing up among the various other ABP subscription lists. I'm confident there will be many, many people who will support you in this way. I know I will.

@ All
I don't want to downplay what happened, but please be reasonable. Every person has a right of being judged by his good acts. What's better: uninstalling NoScript or getting hit by yet another Flash worm or getting your session cookie stolen with yet another XSS-attack? Uninstalling NoScript is NOT the right decision, believe me. Let's not act like children, and please stop the moral teaching; it's plain disgusting. You get great protection for free, don't you?

Paul Wynant, Moscow, Russia
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

bill_mcgonigle wrote:Just read through the last 13 pages of posts, and find it worth noting that Giorgio didn't break ABP until it broke NoScript's install system. Giorgio's mistake was hitting back, at which point he lost the moral high ground. When hearts and minds are involved, it's always better to take one on the chin and make sure everybody knows about it.

However, I realize that this whole situation is actually not Ares2's fault, or Giorgio's fault - it's my fault. See, I've been using NoScript for a couple years and haven't donated. Giorgio is trying to provide for his family and spends untold hours as an open source developer, relying on scarce revenue, and that frankly puts him at risk. I've been in the same boat myself. I donate regularly to open source projects, but I neglected NoScript. For something I depend on so heavily, that's just unacceptable.

So, I just put in a $5 donation. I know it's not much, but it's what I can do right now. In addition, I'm writing this little admonishment to my fellow free-loaders to straighten up. Yes, Giorgio f-ed up. He made a bad call. I think it's pretty clear he learned his lesson, and will take a more considered approach in the future. But those of us who are his long-time users need to address the root cause and play our part in this process. If each of his regular users gives only what they each spent on a fancy coffee in the past year, he'd be doing well for his family, we'd ensure the continuation of NoScript, and just maybe he could get some sleep.
Bill, that was the freshest breath of air in this entire scenario. I've said something along those same lines, but as a forum team member, I don't like to be too pushy. NS is freeware. It *could* become nagware or free "crippleware", with a "premium" (full-featuredl) version, like so many other "free" programs. And unlike some 10k or 50k add-on that has no security implications and requires very little maintenance, NS and FG are practically full-time jobs for Giorgio. (more than full-time recently, obviously). I expect that the percentage of those complaining that has donated even $5, or $3, or $2, for the years of use of NS is near zero. It's not widely known, but the fact is that many small donations eventually add up to a large amount.

Thank you for your input and for your donation.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard
nagan

Post by nagan »

bill_mcgonigle wrote:Just read through the last 13 pages of posts, and find it worth noting that Giorgio didn't break ABP until it broke NoScript's install system. Giorgio's mistake was hitting back, at which point he lost the moral high ground. When hearts and minds are involved, it's always better to take one on the chin and make sure everybody knows about it.
........... If each of his regular users gives only what they each spent on a fancy coffee in the past year, he'd be doing well for his family, we'd ensure the continuation of NoScript, and just maybe he could get some sleep.
Not that I am criticizing the donation part ,but the misrepresentation ceded that Giorgio is dependent on NS for his livelihood. You can call him a Nerd ,Geek or whatever who has dabbled with the intricacies of computers right from a very young age probably when owning a PC was beyond everyone's dreams in the early eighties (courtesy his profile in the Hackademix page). He would definitely welcome donations for the upkeep of the website and as a token of general appreciation and he does run a proper business beside this.There are some who want to explore vistas and new frontiers in programming just as a challenge /hobby and Giorgio might just fall in this category.
Dreams are REAL possibilities. Pursue them with zest and you can make them HAPPEN!
You are GOD.Realize THAT!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
AmazedatItAll

Post by AmazedatItAll »

This developer is completely his own worst enemy. This tripe is the most insulting statement ever made online:
I sincerely apologize with those ABP users who missed the information about it given on the AMO install page, on this site's install page, on this very release note page and in the FAQ.
So it's our fault, don't you see? Our fault that two versions of this virus were pushed out before anything at all was said in the changelog. Our fault that when something was put into the changelog, it was written in such a way that it didn't at all give any indication of what was actually happening. Our fault that the code was hidden and lied about. Our fault that the malware was installed without any type of prompt. Our fault that it couldn't actually be removed. What terrible and stupid users we are for not realizing that we are just stupid and responsible for this whole problem.

Astounding.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Unamused

Post by Unamused »

Responding to strawmen: Productive ITT.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4) Gecko/20090423 Firefox/3.5b4
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

AmazedatItAll wrote:... Our fault that two versions of this virus ...
I'm all in favor of everyone airing their opinions, but could we at least use correct terminology? A virus, microbial or electronic, is self-replicating and spreads to other hosts. Whatever the particular version of NS did to *your* machine, it could not spread from your machine to some other machine by itself, or automatically email itself from your address book, etc. Nor could it self-replicate. You downloaded it, automatically or manually, and that's it. So, whatever else you feel good in calling it, can we not misuse the very specific term "virus" again, in the interest of respect for language, please? ... I should have said this sooner. Thank you.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard

that's pathethic

Post by Guest »

If you still think, that author of this "extension" can be trusted, then please look here: http://imgur.com/2QGAo.jpg
type adblock in search box wrote: The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: adblock.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042523 Ubuntu/9.04

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Giorgio Maone wrote:But please believe that it was made out of anger and hurry, rather than greed, since at that time literally everything was blocked by EasyList on my sites.
These filters were needed to block the ads on your site and because you kept changing them (and you still are changing them). Breaking a site of you was never intended but Ares needed to change the filters in this way only to block the ads.
That is Giorgio's right. Ares stepped over the line when he blocked everything because Giorgio was keeping one step ahead of him. Then Giorgio did a big no-no with his dicking around with the ABP code. However, Ares really should have his face in the dirt, like Giorgio, because he is the person who chose to escalate this time and time again.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

Post by Guest »

Tester wrote:
Guest wrote:
Tester wrote:I think what the developer of Noscript did is not excusable and shows that he is not at all a trustworthy person. So logicly I just uninstalled Noscript. BTW: I m not 13 but 38. But I still think that I don't want to have anything to do with someone who tries to trick me just in order to make more $$$ CASH $$$ by betraying me behind my back.
If other people think that this behavior is normal or excusable they are free to do so. I personally hope that some laywer sues the Noscript-Author for what he did to computers of total strangers without ANY permission...
You should try harder next time. Obvious troll/sarcasm is obvious. Thank you for your hilarious post. :lol:
It was not ment to be funny or anything like that. From my point of view he acted like a criminal and that is how he should be treated...
At least he is a good roleplayer( :O[ ): http://forums.informaction.com/viewtopi ... t=15#p2656
I for instance always thought that I block every single google-/googleanalytics-/googlewhatever-script. Only to find out now that this guy made fun of me.
He is not even shy to point out that he did so for several years in order to get more $$$ revenues $$$. Agghhh. How ugly can one persons mind be?!
I'll say this as straightforward as I can: You are a child who doesn't understand a thing outside of the world your parents paint for you. Grow a pair and grow up before you start opening your mouth.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: that's pathethic

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Guest wrote:If you still think, that author of this "extension" can be trusted, then please look here: http://imgur.com/2QGAo.jpg
type adblock in search box wrote: The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: adblock.
You must specify at least one word to search for. Each word must consist of at least 3 characters and must not contain more than 14 characters excluding wildcards.
what does this have to do with the author? This is a function and limitation or setting of the forum software, not an intentional blocking of that term. It is unfairly inflammatory and insincere to try and paint it as something it is not.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10

Post by Guest »

AmazedatItAll wrote:This developer is completely his own worst enemy. This tripe is the most insulting statement ever made online:
I sincerely apologize with those ABP users who missed the information about it given on the AMO install page, on this site's install page, on this very release note page and in the FAQ.
So it's our fault, don't you see? Our fault that two versions of this virus were pushed out before anything at all was said in the changelog. Our fault that when something was put into the changelog, it was written in such a way that it didn't at all give any indication of what was actually happening. Our fault that the code was hidden and lied about. Our fault that the malware was installed without any type of prompt. Our fault that it couldn't actually be removed. What terrible and stupid users we are for not realizing that we are just stupid and responsible for this whole problem.
So in short, it's like 'How dare you insult our intelligence?', right?
Don't worry son, I doubt you've even read this whole thread, let alone understood what's happened. In the unlikely case that you've READ it, please give me some time as I stand in awe of your reading comprehension skill.
Joking aside, why you don't you read these? Oops, I mean, you must have read them, what an insult to your intelligence. So why don't you read these again?
no carrier wrote: 2) this "terrorist" attitude of forcing giorgio to revert code and still bash him down is unacceptable and ought to be brought back to perpetrators.
guest wrote:These guys just never grow up. And by insulting them just like that, I've lost the chance to reason with them.
I'm amazed Giorgio never lost his temper while dealing with these guys...
There's really no point arguing with them. I've summarized my conversations with them:

-OMG it's totally ruined my computer. All data has been compromised. Gee, and I used to be your biggest fan too. Until it totally broke every web site. NoScript was on the list but now this totally sealed it.
+You know how to use it right? I mean, every web site broke?
-How dare you insult my intelligence? I can operate Firefox by myself, and I even use Gentoo. 99% of my system is compiled from source!
+A few ads were allowed, which I'm not sure you've even seen before, makes NoScript a virus now?
-Not really virus, malware. See, malware, I've got a dictionary. It's changed things without my consent!!!
+So what was changed, and why?
-A new whitelist was added without my consent. NoScript tried to mess with my ABP, for money of course, it is evil!
+So was your computer compromised?
-No. But I bet others were!
+You realize that you could just forget it and move on right? Everyone has their own lesson to learn here, which you certainly don't have to remind them of.
-What THE heck? No, I'm definitely not gonna let this one go like that. NO. We've got to sue him or something. I mean, I was emotionally hurt. This one has left a permanent scar in my heart. There has to be some kind of compensation. This is supposed to be a security extension, and it's done the WORST THING a security extension could do. IT'S TOO BAD IT'S BEYOND REDEMPTION. I'm gonna uninstall it because I know what I do with my add-on is actually RELEVANT, bet you were scared. And not just that, I SWEAR TO GOD I'LL NEVER USE IT AGAIN. HECK I'LL EVEN DELETE THIS PROFILE. THE GUY SHOULD GO DIE IN A FIRE!!! SOMEONE FORK IT RIGHT NOW, WE'RE GONNA...
[insert your favorite rant]
I hope you've finished reading. A few did, in fact, threaten to sue him even after everything's over. All because of what?
But even if you won't, or can't, read all of that, I guess my point is : you jokers just never stop, you remind me of some mindless legion with an insatiable demand for human blood straight out of a high fantasy novel (was that an exaggeration at all? ). Wladimir managed not only to antagonize Giorgio, claim that NoScript is mostly useless and all FUD, but also summon his own army of Lickspittles, all in the good spirit of community. But of course, he didn't ask anyone to do anything for him, right?...
Mozilla/5.0 Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.0

Post by Guest »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; de; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Mc

Post by Mc »

If anyone here didn't read that block post yet, he could begin with http://adblockplus.org/blog/attention-n ... rs#c002113
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 Mnenhy/0.7.6.666

Post by Guest »

Is there a point in linking this? As if this thread wasn't enough.
Mozilla/5.0 Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.0