Noscript for Google Chrome?

Bug reports and enhancement requests
kygin

Re: Noscript for Google Chrome?

Post by kygin »

Has there been any progress on NS for Google Chrome yet? I'm using Chrome more and more, and I really miss NS there. Can we say "uncomfortable"?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

kygin wrote:Has there been any progress on NS for Google Chrome yet? I'm using Chrome more and more, and I really miss NS there. Can we say "uncomfortable"?
I certainly would be. ;)

Giorgio will tell us as/when he sees fit, but I don't see any point in any of the support team repeatedly asking him, as it merely distracts him from getting it done, as well as the even-higher priority project, NoScript 3.x for the desktop. Making NS more finely-grained, more novice-friendly, etc. for Firefox users trumps helping Google IMHO. YMMV.

IIUC, he's still awaiting full support from Google, and the last I recall, the proper infrastructure just wasn't there (in Chrome). That is beyond his control, of course.

You might like to follow Giorgio's blog at http://hackademix.net/
He posts only when he has something significant to say, which may be frequently, or not for several weeks or more. But many of the articles are interesting reading, even aside from a topic you'd like to watch, http://hackademix.net/2009/12/10/why-ch ... -noscript/

Slightly O/T, but out of curiosity: Some reasons why you are using Chrome more and more? I'm not fond of Fx 8.x myself, but find that 3.6.24 fits the bill. Many who don't like one, like the other. I'm sure the Mozilla people would also like to know, so by all means, send them your feedback through the various available channels.

Also, please try SeaMonkey, which also fully supports NoScript. It is the preferred browser of my fellow Moderator, therube.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.24) Gecko/20111103 Firefox/3.6.24
jonathanH

Post by jonathanH »

I also use Chrome a lot, in fact for long periods of time I've used it as my primary. The main reasons being performance (especially when you have more than 10 tabs open) and security (sandboxing).

There is a now the webRequest extension API coming up on chrome 17 (not yet on stable channel) which Adblock for Chrome is already using to more effectively block ads from downloading, and a NoScript-like extension "ScriptNo" (but sadly not "NotScripts" which still uses HTML5 tricks) is using to block content. It would be nice to know if Giorgio thinks this API gives him enough control to make a good go of it.

https://code.google.com/chrome/extensio ... quest.html

J
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0
kygin

Post by kygin »

Like you, I don't like 8.0, but I'm not going back to an earlier version. Chrome has solved the problems I've been finding with 8.0. It integrates better with all of Google's presence on the Internet, especially G+, no surprise there. There are certain extensions for Chrome that aren't available for Firefox that make navigating G+ ever so much easier. I'm not totally giving up on Firefox, but for now my preferred browser would be Chrome if it had NS.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:8.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/8.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

jonathanH wrote:.... and a NoScript-like extension "ScriptNo"
"NoScript-like extension" is doing a grave disservice to NoScript, and to the user who is fooled by the similarity of names. See this thread, for example.
jonathanH wrote:It would be nice to know if Giorgio thinks this API gives him enough control to make a good go of it.
He'd love nothing more, so if he hasn't, it doesn't. In addition to the above thread, please see this one, which describes the situation with Chrome. Especially this quote:
Giorgio Maone wrote:
Jason wrote:I use Chrome too, is there any perticular reason that u may not recommend the scriptno for chrome?
Yes. Chrome/Chromium misses many key hooks and infrastructures which are indispensable to deliver the security features provided by NoScript with an acceptable degree of completeness and reliability.
If/when they're there, I'm gonna port the proper NoScript to Chrome.
Until then, any "NoScript clone" for Chrome can't be compared to the original, because it's just a different (and inferior) thing.
kygin wrote:I'm not totally giving up on Firefox, but for now my preferred browser would be Chrome if it had NS.
Please take the following as humorous and not sarcastic: :D

My preferred mode of transportation would be my bicycle if it had a 200-horsepower engine, but it doesn't. So I use my car.

A little less facetious:

My preferred method of providing electric power to my home would be by windmills on the roof, but at the moment, it simply can't succeed.

I've read many favorable things about Chrome. But for the user who values security, while still remaining mass-market-available and fairly user-friendly, the presence or absence of NoScript is the foremost decision point for this user. IMHO. YMMV.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.24) Gecko/20111103 Firefox/3.6.24
jonathanH

Post by jonathanH »

Hello all,

Tom, thxs for the links to other threads. BTW the version of ScriptNo in the chrome webstore doesn't use the new API, only the experimental version does.

I'm sure Giorgio is busy looking into the new API and whether it meets his criteria for security. I sincerely hope it does because it's the main reason I'm sticking with Firefox for now.

Chrome's sandboxing with noscript functionality would be sweet.

J
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

jonathanH wrote:Chrome's sandboxing with noscript functionality would be sweet.
Or Firefox with Chrome's sandboxing. (and you're welcome, and thx for checking them out)

Having thought about this for a while, I'd like to encourage posts such as these. Let Mozilla get the message that the minute NoScript is available for Chrome, there will be massive defections from Firefox and SeaMonkey. Maybe then, MZ will work on the stuff that counts, like the isolation/sandboxing and other factors that enable Google to claim that there has not been a successful exploit of Chrome in the wild, and that a black-hat conference had little success against it.

If OOB Firefox were brought to that level, and then NS was added on top of it.... :D

And I might even come to prefer the latest release of Firefox, instead of staying on the thoroughly-vetted ones while they play the rapid-release game, and on the wrong "features", no less.

Thanks for the input, all. :)
wiar

Post by wiar »

Come noscript for Chrome or not?

sorry for my bad english. ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:10.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/10.0
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

wiar wrote:Come noscript for Chrome or not?

sorry for my bad english. ;)
Don't worry about the English, you are fine and understood. NoScript will come to Chrome (and chromium based browsers) if and when the infrastructure necessary to make it work properly and effectively is put into place by Google. It has been discussed in length and they know what they need to do, just have chosen not to do it yet. The WebRequest API was recently introduced but it is not sufficient as of now but it might allow for a foundation to build on.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:9.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/9.0.1
supercoolman

Post by supercoolman »

google profits from ads. this probably won't be the top priority in their mind.

I don't want to migrate to chrome unless noscript and flashgot are supported.
I can live without TMP although chrome tab fatures and extensions are very inconvenient when I'm used to TMP.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
Thrawn
Master Bug Buster

Post by Thrawn »

I like Chrome/Chromium for its speed and sandboxing, but it has a long way to go to catch up with Firefox addon support. You could take a look at some other Gecko-based browsers, though (which may support NoScript), if you're dissatisfied with Firefox; I was recently impressed to learn about Pale Moon.
======
Thrawn
------------
Religion is not the opium of the masses. Daily life is the opium of the masses.

True religion, which dares to acknowledge death and challenge the way we live, is an attempt to wake up.
Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-gb; GT-S5570 Build/FROYO) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

For all of Chrome's shortcomings and bad that can be said about it, its lean, fast and if they continue to go with the principle on which it is developed, they will be fine. But the again Firefox started on the same promise and now has become and unbearable piece of crap.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
Hungry Man

Post by Hungry Man »

google profits from ads. this probably won't be the top priority in their mind.
They profit (as almost all ad companies do) form clicks, not views of ads. Therefor the functionality to block their profits has existed from day 1.

Last I check NoScript was rumored for Chrome sometime in the summer? Or did I just make that up in my head? I'll be excited to try it if/ when it comes to Chrome.

P.S. I recently wrote about security Firefox and it includes a section on NoScript (which I 'highly recommend') so check it out and feel free to tell me if I left anything crucial out.

https://insanitybit.wordpress.com/2012/ ... g-firefox/
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/536.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/20.0.1132.21 Safari/536.11
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Hungry Man wrote: P.S. I recently wrote about security Firefox and it includes a section on NoScript (which I 'highly recommend') so check it out and feel free to tell me if I left anything crucial out.
Nice writeup. You may integrate/support the last part of your NoScript chapter with the last paragraph from http://hackademix.net/2010/08/01/al_9x- ... r-is-safe/
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0
Hungry Man

Post by Hungry Man »

MITM, courtesy of HSTS and other HTTPS-enhancing features
Now that is interesting. Is there more information on HSTS enforcement - it needs server side cooperation I assume? I learned about HSTS when checking out sslstrip so if there's some way to enforce it that would be very cool.

I'll edit in ABE and the HTTPS features in a bit, thanks very much.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/536.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/20.0.1132.21 Safari/536.11