Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Ares2 wrote:OK, that's true, that's the one I removed yesterday fixing the small false positive, but c'mon, [...] A bit overrated for only 2 links being falsely hidden imo.
Eh, "only" 2+2 software installation links disappearing on 2 sites about the softwares themselves is a "small" false positive, indeed... ;)

However, here's the updated FAQ:
FAQ 3.21 wrote: Why can I see ads on this site even if I've got AdBlock Plus + EasyList?
Starting with version 1.9.2.3, NoScript configures a special AdBlock Plus filterset called "NoScript development support filterset", whitelisting the noscript.net, flashgot.net, informaction.com and hackademix.net web sites, after they were broken by a virulent attack from EasyList which crippled even essential features such as links for direct downloads and development builds. While EasyList finally mitigated its filters after this whitelist has been publicly released, keeping the filterset is still useful both to prevent such a breakage from happening again and to give users a chance to support NoScript development if they don't mind seeing ads on these specific sites. Should you prefer not to support NoScript development this way, you can just open the AdBlock Plus preferences and disable the aforementioned filterset with one click.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
snake

Post by snake »

U should be ashamed Giorgio Maone, trying to justify ur actions by messin with another addon, u have annoyed alot of users with ur actions and have lost trust in and ur addon, u have lost one of the best things a add on can have TRUST, urs is gone and i dont see it coming back, u have messed with ADBLOCK plus users, and as on iam not installing ur addon thta messes with filters and adds ur white list which i might ad that cannot be deleted from adblock plus filters, just disabled, not good anuff Giorgio Maone, Shame on u you and ur addon, good luck ur giong to need for ur actions.

:evil:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

Giorgio Maone wrote:However, here's the updated FAQ
Hmm, what about this (not biased, just like yours :mrgreen: ) :
Starting with Noscript version 1.9.2 I gave up modifying my websites to trick/work-around ABP in a questionable way to force EasyList users (a filterlist for Adblock Plus designed to block ads on websites) to see my ads. Instead I added (some people would call it malicious) code to NoScript which had the goal to disable Adblock Plus for my 4 sites. Unfortunately this code completely broke Adblock Plus functionality on all sites.

Starting with version 1.9.2.3, NoScript takes a less malicious but still questionable approach as it configures a special AdBlock Plus filterset called "NoScript development support filterset", whitelisting the noscript.net, flashgot.net, informaction.com and hackademix.net web sites - without asking the user, but at least providing a way to disable the whitelists. ABP users who are not sure about the purpose of them are told about a "virulent attack from EasyList" and that they should consider keeping the whitelists to "prevent such a breakage from happening again" - negelecting that this "virulent attack" was a) caused by my continuous work to fool Adblock Plus and b) only intended to block the ads. Luckily, the filters caused some false positives so I had a justification for my actions and right now, even if EasyList doesn't cause any false positives any more, I still try to use that as an explanation for the whitelistings. This way I can perfectely obsfucate the one and only reason for all this: I don't want to lose my ad revenue!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
mattmccutchen

Post by mattmccutchen »

If anyone wants to read the NoScript 1.9.2 code Ares2 is referring to:

Code: Select all

mkdir tmp; cd tmp
wget http://software.informaction.com/data/releases/noscript-1.9.2.xpi
unzip noscript-1.9.2.xpi
unzip chrome/noscript.jar
perl -npe 's/\\x([0-9a-f]{2})/pack "c", hex($1)/ge' <content/noscript/MRD.js >MRD.unescaped.js
less MRD.unescaped.js
I think this code is at least as severe a betrayal of trust as the overbroad EasyList filters.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042708 Fedora/3.0.10-1.fc10 Firefox/3.0.10
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Ares2 wrote:Hmm, what about this (not biased, just like yours :mrgreen: ) :
I was about to suggest I could keep my FAQ on my site and you can keep yours on yours, when I noticed Wladimir's recap of the situation on his blog, which will spare you some work.

On the other hand, I guess I'll have to work overnight to release 1.9.2.5 immediately: it prompts users beforehand (something I announced 10 minutes after 1.9.2.4's release), and also fixes the bug which allows the filterset only to be disabled, rather than removed. That's a genuine bug, but is being nonetheless singled out as a malicious behavior by Wladimir...

Have a good night (for those in the same timezone as me).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
snake

Post by snake »

I support what ares says u put code first of all that stop ADP working at all, then u make a some sort of spinn on what happened, u knew what u where diong when u write the code for version 1.9.2, u done this to shut down ADP, which is unaccpeable to mess with another addon, u have NO RIGHT, now u have seen people have caught on to ur sneaky techniques, and have changed it the a whitelist of ur site so u can get more revenue for u self, Tell me why did u make that the whitelist filters (u added with-hout telling users of no script that updated there version to 1.9.2.4) that u had added these filters THAT CANNOT BE DELETED from ADP WHITELIST filterset,(u have no right to mess with ADP) even if u try to delete they come back after u restart firefox, damn all can say ur giong to lose alot more revanue over ur actions(AND USERS OF no scrirt), Shame on u messing with ADP, firsly by crippling its right to function then taking a back step with sneaking in a whitlist that cannot be removed, and not we are becoming aware of more code u have added to target ADP. U have lost me as a user forever , and i bet countless other ADP users Giorgio Maone. SHAME ON U

NO No-script for me

No script= MALWARE

definition of malware:
Malware, a portmanteau from the words malicious and software, is software designed to infiltrate or damage a computer system without the owner's informed consent. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.[1] The term "computer virus" is sometimes used as a catch-all phrase to include all types of malware, including true viruses.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

Giorgio Maone wrote:On the other hand, I guess I'll have to work overnight to release 1.9.2.4 immediately: it prompts users beforehand
You mean 1.9.2.6? Also if you already have the whitelists, like all those who already upgraded to 1.9.2.4, will it ask again?

Have a good night (for those in the same timezone as me).[/quote]
*Hands up* :D Gn8.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Nils Maier

Post by Nils Maier »

Don't tell me about "a virulent attack from EasyList". They blocked your ads because this is what they do: blocking ads.
You then started to play cat and mouse with them.
They added some maybe over-aggressively filters, not that nice indeed, but who did you respond?
You actively "patched" Adblock Plus code.
Are you out of your mind? That is unacceptable, unbelievable rude behavior!
And you did know that you were doing something fishy. Why else was the code in question "unreadable".

You could have added some code to NoScript so that it disabled itself when EasyList is subscribed. That would be still childish, but at least you wouldn't mess with code that isn't your business.

Forcefully adding some subscription without user consent isn't any better. Even if there is a way to "opt-out".

If you don't make enough revenue then start selling your extensions.

I cannot believe you made that bad judgment call, and still are defending it.
A public apology would be in order to restore at least some trust.
Instead you still act like it was all Easylists fault, that you had no other choice than messing things up, than disregarding users wishes and crippling their software; multiple times in a row that is.

Unbelievable!
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; de; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
A Sad Ex USer

Post by A Sad Ex USer »

I'm removing noscript.

Nils Maier said everything I came to post.

I'm ashamed to have been suggesting this once-fine extension to people.

It exactly because of behaviour like this that users like me originally installed this addon.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 GTB5
no script is malware now

Post by no script is malware now »

Nils Maier wrote:Don't tell me about "a virulent attack from EasyList". They blocked your ads because this is what they do: blocking ads.
You then started to play cat and mouse with them.
They added some maybe over-aggressively filters, not that nice indeed, but who did you respond?
You actively "patched" Adblock Plus code.
Are you out of your mind? That is unacceptable, unbelievable rude behavior!
And you did know that you were doing something fishy. Why else was the code in question "unreadable".

You could have added some code to NoScript so that it disabled itself when EasyList is subscribed. That would be still childish, but at least you wouldn't mess with code that isn't your business.

Forcefully adding some subscription without user consent isn't any better. Even if there is a way to "opt-out".

If you don't make enough revenue then start selling your extensions.

I cannot believe you made that bad judgment call, and still are defending it.
A public apology would be in order to restore at least some trust.
Instead you still act like it was all Easylists fault, that you had no other choice than messing things up, than disregarding users wishes and crippling their software; multiple times in a row that is.

Unbelievable!
totally agree he had no right is still defending his action as if he did nothing wrong :evil:
The only word somes to mind:
Unbelievable!

i will never use no script addon , iam happy with adblock plus, if u attack adblock plus good work its diong for ur reavenes in such a underhanded and snakey way, we attack u for it

Believe u did nothin wrong wand try to squirm out of this but u attck another extension for reavenues and that shall not be forgotten auytime soon....

A Sad Ex USer wrote:I'm removing noscript.

Nils Maier said everything I came to post.

I'm ashamed to have been suggesting this once-fine extension to people.

It exactly because of behaviour like this that users like me originally installed this addon.

i understand ur stance ex user i feel exactly the same, and he thought he would get away with this Unbelievable!

Post by guest »

Why does NoScript keep injecting it's NoScript Development Support Filterset into AdblockPlus?
no script is malware now

Post by no script is malware now »

guest wrote:Why does NoScript keep injecting it's NoScript Development Support Filterset into AdblockPlus?
Too put it simply guest so he can make more money for himself, first he attack ADP not he resort to this move, and u cannot remove it too so goes to show what he is trying to do to ADP, DONT USE NO- SCRIRT people ho knows whats giong to be released in the code next :roll:
Anonymoose67

Post by Anonymoose67 »

I too would like to know why you are trying to insert a list into my AdBlock Plus WITHOUT my consent.

Not to mention the whole reason that I run AdBlock is to.... BLOCK ADS.

What really gets me is that I wasn't even warned it was being added, what the hell guys.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Ares2 wrote:
Giorgio Maone wrote:On the other hand, I guess I'll have to work overnight to release 1.9.2.4 immediately: it prompts users beforehand
You mean 1.9.2.6? Also if you already have the whitelists, like all those who already upgraded to 1.9.2.4, will it ask again?
It's 1.9.2.5, and yes, that's how it works. Removing the filterset if they answer "No".

BTW, all your comments are welcome, just don't play with others' avatars. I just deleted a post thinking it was an error of mine :roll:
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

All of you who are logging into this thread anonymously like cowards and posting the same propaganda need to stop. You can try to remain anonymous and hide and pretend you are all different people but you are not or at least the same mouthpiece. :(

If you have something constructive to contribute or have a support question, you are welcome, otherwise take your "cutting off the nose to spite your face" attitudes and do as you wish. :|

I tried to remain quiet and neutral to allow everyone to express their point of views and to not appear that we are ganging up on either side but this is not constructive and is going into nothing more than childish and ignorant rants and attacks. :o

So I am locking this thread and I will tell you up front that if you start posting new threads intended to simply continue the attacks, your posts WILL be deleted immediately. There are two sides to everything and you are all hell bent on missing that point. If your posts are not support related or informative, they will be deleted. :roll:
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10