[INVALID] latest noscript freezes firefox gui

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
vidar

[INVALID] latest noscript freezes firefox gui

Post by vidar »

hi
the most recent noscript freezes the firefox gui now and then, annoyingly often actually. this happens when i for example clicks a bookmarked item in my bookmarks toolbar
see screenshot http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/noscript.jpg/
here i have clicked the blue S bookmark icon and firefox gui is frozen for about 20-30 seconds(with the button still looking clicked even though i have moved my mouse away long ago), enough for me to open a screenshot taking tool and then some. this also sometimes happens when clicking a link on a website but most of the time its when clicking something in the gui itself

this did not happen before 2.1.2.6 however it did happen when i was forced to use an rc version when ff6(or was it ff5) was just out as the proper release wasnt compatible yet. some days later a compatible version was released and the problem was gone...until 2.1.2.6

i have tried disabling ABE and sound notification and fiddled with other settings to no avail

this is on 64 bit firefox 6.0 from the official (k)ubuntu repositories running kubuntu 11.04 64 bit

i dont know how to provide more information...if theres something i can do to generate some kind of event log or something that might be helpful, let me know

cheers :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
vidar

Re: latest noscript freezes firefox gui

Post by vidar »

oh and, i forgot, it does not happen with noscript not installed so its definitely noscript
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

vidar wrote: i dont know how to provide more information...
Does it happen on a clean profile with just NoScript installed in its default configuration?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
vidar

Post by vidar »

thanks for reply G

tried in a fresh profile with default settings, didnt seem to be a problem
then decided to reset my main profile noscript settings to default and hmm an hour later it all seems good. would be typical if it failed a minute after i post this though.

could it be because my noscript settings have followed me for about 3-5 years? over different linux distros.
are there obsolete settings from 3-5 years ago that might still be in my old profile that could cause this?

thanks again..if it acts up again ill post! :)
vidar

Post by vidar »

nope its still there :(
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Mmmm, it might be either an extensions conflict or a corrupted profile.
Standard Diagnostic?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:6.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

@vidar, if you revert to an earlier NoScript version, does your issue subside, http://noscript.net/feed? ?

-------

(SeaMonkey 2.6, like FF 8, with MANY windows, tabs open, using MUCH memory, after a very short period of time, ALL actions are SLOW - a number of seconds to for any action to register. Disabling NoScript made no difference. SeaMonkey 2.5 was much the same way. 2.5 & 2.6 theoretically, & in actuality have "memshrink" compared to SeaMonkey 2.3, but SeaMonkey, while using more memory, performs better then both - under the same circumstances. And SeaMonkey 2.0, like FF 3.5, does better then them all. I'd suspect that FF 7 & 8 would perform in a similar poor fashion.)

http://i51.tinypic.com/ev1bb7.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2uzx9cg.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/ ... uttabs.png
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0) Gecko/20110820 Firefox/6.0 SeaMonkey/2.3.1
vidar

Post by vidar »

guys, its not noscript after all cos i now disabled noscript (altho it was still installed) and it still happened. i was so sure it was noscript cos it happened when i used noscript rc, and then disappeared when i switched to noscript non-rc then appeared again with the latest noscript a couple of weeks ago.... must be something else i guess. this all happened with firefox 4 jumping to firefox 6 over a short time. i guess ill start from scratch over the next few days with a clean firefox.

ill report if i find anything of interest to noscript
mheins

Re: [INVALID] latest noscript freezes firefox gui

Post by mheins »

I seem to be having this problem now. Running Firefox 6.0.2, NoScript 2.1.2.7 on Mac OS X 10.6.8. I've experienced several incidences of frozen mouse cursor. When I checked my console log, I saw this message which occurred about the time of the last freeze:

9/14/11 3:04:37 PM [0x0-0x1f01f].org.mozilla.firefox[343] [NoScript] [NoScript ClearClick] Swallowed event keyup on chrome://browser/content/browser.xul (rapid fire from http://www.google.com in 400ms)

I was using my trackpad for the mouse function. I happen to own an external USB mouse also. When I plugged that in, I could move the mouse cursor with that, but not with the track pad.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.2
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

mheins wrote:I was using my trackpad for the mouse function. I happen to own an external USB mouse also. When I plugged that in, I could move the mouse cursor with that, but not with the track pad.
Does this still happen if you set your noscript.clearClick.rapidFireCheck about:config preference to false?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.2
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Hi,
same problem for me since last update of NoScript it seems.
NoScript activated: big freezing on many pages (ie www.rue89.com and articles from there)
Noscript off: normal behaviour.

Some ideas?
Thanks
Laurent
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.2
LAurent

Post by LAurent »

Laurent wrote:Hi,
same problem for me since last update of NoScript it seems.
NoScript activated: big freezing on many pages (ie http://www.rue89.com and articles from there)

Some ideas?
Thanks
Laurent
2.1.2.8 & 2.1.3rc4 : same problem
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Laurent wrote: NoScript activated: big freezing on many pages (ie http://www.rue89.com and articles from there)
Could you please define "big freezing"?
How do your page permissions look like?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/6.0.2
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

big freeze: when it arises, tabs and menus are no more responsive in firefox (6.0.2), cannot do nothing. Unable to scroll with mouse or keyboard. Last for about 10 seconds.

permissions on "rue89.com": partial permissions, the main site is allowed but some advertisement sites are forbidden.

when I set noscript to "globally allow javascript" the problem is still there.

I didn't remember making any changes in my config, updates or plugins recently, I would say it started a few days ago.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Laurent wrote:
big freeze: when it arises, tabs and menus are no more responsive in firefox (6.0.2), cannot do nothing. Unable to scroll with mouse or keyboard. Last for about 10 seconds.

permissions on "rue89.com": partial permissions, the main site is allowed but some advertisement sites are forbidden.

when I set noscript to "globally allow javascript" the problem is still there.

I didn't remember making any changes in my config, updates or plugins recently, I would say it started a few days ago.
update: back to normal behaviour since this morning (change to version 2.1.2.8? changes in the website i was visiting?)