Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Latest NoScript version (1.9.2) breaks Adblock Plus

Post by Giorgio Maone »

FYI, latest development build 1.9.2.3 adds the "NoScript development support filterset" I discussed with Wladimir and mentioned early in this thread.
As long as it's in beta (only available on noscript.net) users are informed in the changelog near the install link and on the release notes landing page.
As soon as it's released in the stable channel (tomorrow, most likely) a note forwarding ABP users to this FAQ it will be added also on the AMO install page.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Not sure I understand?

A NoScript/FlashGot install will now add a filter to an existing Adblock Plus setup that subverts the blocks that are now being added by the EasyList filter set?

And Wladimir is OK with that?
And it does this with/without notifying you? <== Would certainly think it should prompt you before making any such change to ABP. (But that would certainly be awkward & a hassle, wouldn't it.)

Certainly seems the wrong way to go about, IMO.

(Doesn't really matter to me. My filter set is so old, Maone 2.0 wasn't even in diapers yet.)

(Lets see ... what was it ... a Norton A/V install would force you to uninstall <was it> Spybot-S&D. Either Safer-Networking Ltd. or Symantec leaving the Anti Spyware Coalition...)

I'M ONLY SURMISING & I FEEL MORE CLARIFICATION IS NEEDED

(I don't really know all the ins & outs, but ... Was Filterset.G effectively banished by Wladimir? If this new EasyList is not living up to expectations, ... something like, I Wladimir, ABP, disagree with some of the actions of EasyList & so now I (or someone designated) are now going to carry on with a new ABP_List ...)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090423 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

therube wrote:A NoScript/FlashGot install will now add a filter to an existing Adblock Plus setup that subverts the blocks that are now being added by the EasyList filter set?
It adds a filterset, prominently labeled and commented, which whitelists the 4 domains mentioned in the changelog and in this FAQ.
therube wrote:And Wladimir is OK with that?
Yes, as long as users are clearly informed of this change.
As I said, this information is already being given both wherever they install 1.9.2.3 from (on my sites and, as soon as it's available there too, on AMO) and on the landing release notes page.
Furthermore, the AdBlock Plus icons become green on the whitelisted pages, so this can't go unnoticed, and all it takes to disable this filter and revert to "block everything mode" is two clicks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Filterset.G was not banished just not recommended because it uses, in my opinion the more efficient regex way of blocking things rather than individual piss ant way of doing it. I do however believe that Filterset.G doomed itself when it started adding exceptions for the problems discovered rather than modify and fix the regex that was causing it. If it had not been for that, it probably would have been fine.

Giorgio, is there any way to detect if the Easy list is installed and THEN install the exceptions you want? Because for those of us that don't use lists and have our own filters, this is a pain in the a$$, as well as those who have abandoned the Easy list because of its unethical and wrong direction standards. I wish there was a more efficient way to counter this mess without creating potentially more.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

SeaMonkey 1.1.16.
Install noscript-1.9.2.3-dev.xpi into a dumy Profile.
Had Adblock Plus installed, but disabled (via center-clicking the ABP icon).
Saw nothing relating to ABP when I installed NoScript?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090423 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I can verify that Fx 3.0.10, NS 1.9.2.3, the filter exceptions show up whitelisting the sites.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

SeaMonkey 1.1.16.
Install noscript-1.9.2.3-dev.xpi into a dumy Profile.
Had Adblock Plus installed, but disabled (via center-clicking the ABP icon).
Saw nothing relating to ABP when I installed NoScript?
Ah, OK, I looked & yes they do show (they're actually the only filters in there, as I had none before).
But, still saw nothing relating to ABP when I installed NoScript? Should I have?
(Possibly related to SeaMonkey 1.1.16 & or chrome registration -239 error from other thread.)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Yeah I didn't see anything either but I am assuming what he means by disclosure is in the documentation and installation pages and changelogs, not actually using any nag screens. Although I assert my already stated objection in having it automatically apply to those who like to custom build their filters, I guess as much as I dislike ABO, the lack of filter capability is making it much more attractive now. I am going to download ABP source and rebuild a custom version for myself that cripples the filter feature altogether without compromising the rest of the good development portions of it.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Oh, I had thought I was to see something.
So if I'm not supposed to, well I didn't ;-).

You don't need any filters, nor do you need to subscribe to any filters in ABP.
You can use them (& still not subscribe), or you can simply enter your own.

I have used (manually download) EasyList filters in the past (then manually imported them), but never subscribed to anything.
Salvy

Post by Salvy »

All I can say is lol to all GµårÐïåñ's responses, it makes me remember when Zango was suing Kaspersky because it was blocking and removing Zango installations.

Didn't know blocking Google ads could be compared to censoring content, especially if your using an adblocker.
So blocking spyware can count as a censorship from made by anti Spyware programs?

So your point is that is wrong to block ads from websites that are exploiting a bug on a software (ABP) to force the display of ads?

PS: Makes me more sick hearing ppl adding Rick's name into this discussion, I knew Rick for over 4 years... not sure about you, but please maintain Rick's name out of this discussion.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1b5pre) Gecko/20090429 Shiretoko/3.5b5pre
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

therube wrote:Oh, I had thought I was to see something.
So if I'm not supposed to, well I didn't ;-).

You don't need any filters, nor do you need to subscribe to any filters in ABP.
You can use them (& still not subscribe), or you can simply enter your own.

I have used (manually download) EasyList filters in the past (then manually imported them), but never subscribed to anything.
You are too funny. We aint seen nothin.

I am aware of the ABP model, but since it CAN take filters, we have NS pushing filter list to remedy a mess created by another filter. Now with ABP filters, we can choose not to install them and ride naked using our own user created filters but the fact that it CAN take filters, it can be injected, like NS and I don't mean it in a bad way. Whether you choose to subscribe or not, the fact that it CAN have a list subscribed or pushed, it takes out a bit of control from the user. I guess its harder to explain it in words then just thinking it in my head, it makes perfect sense there :twisted:
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Salvy wrote:All I can say is lol to all GµårÐïåñ's responses, it makes me remember when Zango was suing Kaspersky because it was blocking and removing Zango installations.

Didn't know blocking Google ads could be compared to censoring content, especially if your using an adblocker.
So blocking spyware can count as a censorship from made by anti Spyware programs?

So your point is that is wrong to block ads from websites that are exploiting a bug on a software (ABP) to force the display of ads?

PS: Makes me more sick hearing ppl adding Rick's name into this discussion, I knew Rick for over 4 years... not sure about you, but please maintain Rick's name out of this discussion.
Once again people make comments without understanding what is being said. Blocking ADS is the purpose of the program and there is nothing wrong with that and a malware (if correctly labeled), its a user choice, BUT when you specifically attack or block a site, whatever your reasons which I won't even get into again, then it IS censoring, look it up and it IS malware behavior. If ABP has a bug that is being exploited, it falls to the developer to fix it, not for an entity supported by the developer to go on a warpath and maliciously block the site; if it had not been censored and attacked, then Giorgio wouldn't have to use the bug in ABP to fight back, they should have stuck to general blocking of ads, not attacking specific sites. I knew Rick must longer than you and the fact is that the list was started and maintained by him and now fell to a new person making a mockery of it. So it is relevant to mention him and how I or others feel about showing reverence to Rick is our business. For me pissing on and showing utter disrespect for something that was associated with good and established by him is wrong and should be noted.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

That's a very good point.
Cause that is just what happened - unbeknown to me.

So NoScript needs to have an AEIC too.
(Anti-Extension-Injection-Checker ;-). Kind of like XSS in the www realm of Mozilla.)
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

NoScript 1.9.2.3 seems to fix the issue I had with ABP element hiding. Not surprising, since Giorgio said this release would fix it. Instead of using the NoScript Development Support Filterset -- I was able to disable it with just one click, as you said, Giorgio -- I commented out every filter in EasyList which contains noscript.net, flashgot.net, and hackademix.net: all seven of them. Giorgio's sites are fully functional now, albeit most of the ads are blocked by EasyList. I now have the freedom to control what ads I see again. Thank you. (Of course being a power user helped. 8-) :D)

It would be nice if Ares2 would take those filters out of EasyList himself. They aren't needed to block ads anymore and only break some of the site's functionality which isn't related to ads at all. I still haven't gotten any response from Ares2 on the EasyList forum, but he hasn't posted anything there since Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:33 am MDT (-0600). Perhaps he's been tending to more pressing concerns in "real life". We'll see how things shake out when he gets back.
Last edited by Alan Baxter on Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed "eight" to "seven"
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Yes I was the one who reached out to him to come here and discuss the matter with us. He did and I am very disappointed that he hasn't just made the adjustments in good faith and set things right so we can move on already.