Noscript and ads

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
pirlouy

Noscript and ads

Post by pirlouy »

Hello everybody,

In a normal case of Noscript, all scripts are blocked except for some trusted sites or temporarily sites which needs javascript to work. The problem is: what about ads ? Do we have to trust some companies ? In my case, I'm not really inclined to whitelist ads companies. But then, how to be grateful with a website ? For now, the only way is to trust this ads company.

I don't know if it's planned in Noscript 2.0 "per-sites settings" (or ABE), but will it be possible to allow a third-party domain just for a particular site.

For example, I'd like to allow googlesyndication in Giorgio websites but not on all sites. Will it be possible one day (without AB+) ?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b5pre) Gecko/20090426 Shiretoko/3.5b5pre
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Re: Noscript and ads

Post by Alan Baxter »

Giorgio has often said he plans to have this feature in NS 2.0. No reason not to use ABP though, even if you don't want to use a filter subscription. Something like

Code: Select all

.googlesyndication.$script,domain~=noscript.net
might work if you don't have a subscription.

Code: Select all

@@.googlesyndication.$domain=noscript.net
might work even with EasyList.

I haven't tested either of these filters, but do you see what I mean from my examples, pirlouy?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10
pirlouy

Post by pirlouy »

Yes, I understand, I know I can use AB+, but it find it not very handy (whitelist a domain in Noscript, blacklist this domain in AB+, then put an exception for a site in AB+). :/

I'd prefer to use only one extension to block content. It's easier to detect a problem. I admit I'm waiting a lot from Noscript 2.0 and ABE...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b5pre) Gecko/20090426 Shiretoko/3.5b5pre
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Just to add, any user filter will override the exceptions on a list and also a user set exception will override any filter set by the list. What you are asking about has been brought up by many people and I wanted to merge the topics to keep discussion in one place but I faced great resistance and preference to keep it scattered. So if you search the forum you will see other discussions of it, too bad they all use different terminology.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.9) Gecko/2009040821 Firefox/3.0.9 AdblockPlus/1.0.2 RequestPolicy/0.5.5 NoScript/1.9.2.2