NoScript and Firefox Sync

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
tz

Re: NoScript and Firefox Sync

Post by tz »

Giorgio Maone wrote: If you already restarted the browser after the change, please double check that no "services.sync.noscript." entry has been left in [url=http://kb..org/About:config]about:config[/url] (if there is any, use the "Reset" command on them).
The same for "services.sync.prefs.sync.capability.policy.maonoscript.sites".
The second prefs entry was still there and marked "true". Is this in a FAQ anywhere?

Also why does it seem to push the old setting?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110322 Fedora/3.6.16-1.fc14 Firefox/3.6.16
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

tz wrote:
Giorgio Maone wrote: If you already restarted the browser after the change, please double check that no "services.sync.noscript." entry has been left in [url=http://kb..org/About:config]about:config[/url] (if there is any, use the "Reset" command on them).
The same for "services.sync.prefs.sync.capability.policy.maonoscript.sites".
The second prefs entry was still there and marked "true". Is this in a FAQ anywhere?
No it's not, because this shouldn't happen.
tz wrote: Also why does it seem to push the old setting?
Looks like Sync is synchronizing meta-data as well, something which is likely to break lots of stuff, including NoScript's sync, unless initial configuration is already the same on all the devices.
I guess I'll have to work around this quite fragile behavior :(
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
netsigi

Post by netsigi »

That explains a lot to me. Since I upgraded to FF4 on OSX I lost all whitelists. I used som Time to see that the settings get lost when I change the machine. I sync between win, linux, osx over a own sync server (http://people.mozilla.com/~telliott/weave_minimal.tgz).
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
basinilya

Post by basinilya »

My religion doesn't allow me to use ff sync.
Giorgio Maone wrote:
Mastacheata wrote: Any chance of getting the old bookmark Sync back?.
Unfortunately none, because it's not compatible with Fx 4.
What exactly is incompatible?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

basinilya wrote:My religion doesn't allow me to use ff sync.
Giorgio Maone wrote:
Mastacheata wrote: Any chance of getting the old bookmark Sync back?.
Unfortunately none, because it's not compatible with Fx 4.
What exactly is incompatible?
Firefox's bookmark maintenance system (Places) has undergone significant changes in Fx 4: adapting and maintaining the bookmark-based sync hack would require an amount of work unjustified by its hackish nature and by the fact a native alternative exists.
tz

Post by tz »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
tz wrote: Also why does it seem to push the old setting?
Looks like Sync is synchronizing meta-data as well, something which is likely to break lots of stuff, including NoScript's sync, unless initial configuration is already the same on all the devices.
I guess I'll have to work around this quite fragile behavior :(
Please take a look at this - It would help if there was a disable sync entirely option. Right now I keep losing any whitelisting every few minutes to hours, and worse, it seems to reload pages which the sync has changed if I update a different page (streaming video audio via flash in one backgrounded tab stops).
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.16) Gecko/20110322 Fedora/3.6.16-1.fc14 Firefox/3.6.16
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

tz wrote: Please take a look at this
Please check latest development build, thanks.
tz

Post by tz »

The most recent update to Noscript seems to have fixed the problem. I'm not getting any strange reset-to-forbids since the update. Thanks!.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.17) Gecko/20110428 Fedora/3.6.17-1.fc14 Firefox/3.6.17
torstenchr

Post by torstenchr »

Hi, how is the sync actually performed?

I am asking because I seem to have some problem when having firefox running on multiple machines at the same time. They independently overwrite eachother, instead of perfoming a merge of the settings/whitelist etc.
To me it seem as if the entire list of settings (whitelist, xss, etc) is always overwritten and not merged.
Can this be fixed, such that at least whitelist is merged and not overwritten.

Another question - on one pc i'm marked several sites as NOT trusted, but these settings does not seem to be copied, whereas the whitelist and XSS is copied? Or am I missing something?

Kind regards,
Torsten Bonde Christiansen.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

torstenchr wrote: To me it seem as if the entire list of settings (whitelist, xss, etc) is always overwritten and not merged.
Unfortunately, it still works this way.
NoScript currently leverages Firefox's built-in preference synchronization, by adding its own preferences to the list of those to be synchronized.
Since all the whitelist (and the blacklist) are stored in one single preference (because of Mozilla Security Manager's implementation details), they get synchronized as a single blob (no site-level merging).
torstenchr wrote: Can this be fixed, such that at least whitelist is merged and not overwritten.
This will change in NoScript 3, scheduled for release this autumn.
torstenchr wrote: Another question - on one pc i'm marked several sites as NOT trusted, but these settings does not seem to be copied, whereas the whitelist and XSS is copied? Or am I missing something?
They should all be copied.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
torstenchr

Post by torstenchr »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
torstenchr wrote: To me it seem as if the entire list of settings (whitelist, xss, etc) is always overwritten and not merged.
Unfortunately, it still works this way.
NoScript currently leverages Firefox's built-in preference synchronization, by adding its own preferences to the list of those to be synchronized.
Since all the whitelist (and the blacklist) are stored in one single preference (because of Mozilla Security Manager's implementation details), they get synchronized as a single blob (no site-level merging).
torstenchr wrote: Can this be fixed, such that at least whitelist is merged and not overwritten.
This will change in NoScript 3, scheduled for release this autumn.
Looks really great. I am looking forward to it. When will it be possible to start alpha/beta testing this?
Giorgio Maone wrote:
torstenchr wrote: Another question - on one pc i'm marked several sites as NOT trusted, but these settings does not seem to be copied, whereas the whitelist and XSS is copied? Or am I missing something?
They should all be copied.
This was just silly me, not realizing that the untrusted were also overwritten by having two firefox's running at the same time.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

torstenchr wrote: Looks really great. I am looking forward to it. When will it be possible to start alpha/beta testing this?
If you've got an Android or Maemo phone with Firefox 4 Mobile, you can start right now.
It will be available on desktop probably in late summer.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
kbarb

Post by kbarb »

I was going to post a sync problem, then right before I was going to submit I fixed it by changing the noscript.sync.enabled preference. I'll post anyway in case someone has the same problem.

I have two Thinkpad laptops with Vista/FF4 - I couldn't get Sync to work with NoScript at all - by syncing the Prefs only that is.

On Laptop-1, I installed NoScript 2.1.0.5, restarted, and configured it for a dozen sites, then did a Sync for Prefs only.

On Laptop-2, I installed NoScript, restarted and did a Sync, but nothing of NoScript came over.

Solution :
On Laptop-2, in about:config I changed the value of noscript.sync.enabled from False to True.
It should be True on both, right ?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weird though, the NS option for "create a bookmark for syncing" seems to have disappeared on both, although I know it doesn't work anyway.

What was the thing in about:config, re: "services.sync.prefs.sync.capability.policy.maonoscript.sites;" ?
It should be True ? . . . or False .

Thanks !
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; rv:2.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/4.0.1
robertwinz

Post by robertwinz »

mniles74 wrote:Needs a way to differentiate between browser instances that do NOT have NoScript installed. Example is that I do not have it on my work PC but I do on my laptop, and I sync prefs and bookmarks between them still. When I sync from work, it clears out my whitelist on the Sync server and then syncs an empty whitelist to my laptop. I have remedied by installing now on both work and laptop, but it should have been handled better.

Thanks for keeping up the work on this excellent product!
I came to the forums to see if I could find any information on why my whitelist seems to have been erased on my home computer - I think this is the same thing: I don't have NoScript on my work PC but I use FF Sync. I've seen some references to changing noscript.sync.enabled false to fix the problem - I'll look into that. Is there/ will there soon be a way to just disable syncing NoScript?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

robertwinz wrote:Is there/ will there soon be a way to just disable syncing NoScript?
Actually it has been disabled by default for a long time now...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2; WOW64; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0