is it OK for a possibly-intelligent person to use facebook?

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
welly

Post by welly »

Hi.
This may be a bit of an abstract question but this may be the best place to ask it:
Is it OK for a person concerned with privacy and security to use this website called um...what's the name..."facebook"?
I am leaving this country and all my friends ask me to make one to keep in touch.
I am not very sure of all its privacy-security concerns, I just know that the people who manage it are not people I would trust with my personal information.
But what if I keep my "personal" information fake. Also I could use NoScript to block anything not necesary to run the basics of the site, and have it configure to block the webbugs also. Are there any other considerations I should make regarding my privacy?

Thanks,
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10
Davezilla

Re: is it OK for a possibly-intelligent person to use facebo

Post by Davezilla »

No, LOL! ;) Just kidding. Honestly, I never use it. I hear way too many stories about how people get infected from it. I'm not talking about people online, I mean people I actually know. Maybe I'm just paranoid. :shock:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

Since I read about the security strategy of rather relying on heuristics to detect "bad people" than actually fixing bugs, I am even less inclined to use it.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100922 Ubuntu/10.10 (maverick) Firefox/3.6.10
Davezilla

Post by Davezilla »

dhouwn wrote:Since I read about the security strategy of rather relying on heuristics to detect "bad people" than actually fixing bugs, I am even less inclined to use it.
Almost everyone I know has a Facebook account. I think 2/3 of the online population of the UK have a Facebook account. I don't have any friends or a life anyway! LOL :D
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10