NoScript / Adblock Plus and google analytics

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Mr Blobby

NoScript / Adblock Plus and google analytics

Post by Mr Blobby »

Whilst investigating surrogate scripts and with reference to:

http://hackademix.net/2009/01/25/surrog ... analytics/

I noticed ABP had *google-analytics* blocked (or I added it - can't remember which).

So, do I just delete that filter and let NoScript deal with it as it seems a much cleaner solution when some pages won't work properly otherwise?

I used to notice that for example on IMDB.com, that some trailers wouldn't start unless GA was allowed in NoScript, although maybe the site has changed its coding since?

I don't understand why there was a suggestion in the comments afterwards to whitelist google-analytics in ABP? :?

TIA
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript / Adblock Plus and google analytics

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Mr Blobby wrote:So, do I just delete that filter and let NoScript deal with it as it seems a much cleaner solution when some pages won't work properly otherwise?
Yes it is.
Mr Blobby wrote: I used to notice that for example on IMDB.com, that some trailers wouldn't start unless GA was allowed in NoScript, although maybe the site has changed its coding since?
I'm not sure if you mean it is working now or not. If it's working now, it's probably due to NoScript's surrogate.
Mr Blobby wrote: I don't understand why there was a suggestion in the comments afterwards to whitelist google-analytics in ABP? :?
It's the same as deleting the filter, but if your filter comes from a subscription I'm not sure whether just deleting it suffices or it will be restored on next filterset update unless whitelisted.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10
Mr Blobby

Re: NoScript / Adblock Plus and google analytics

Post by Mr Blobby »

Thanks Giorgio.
Giorgio Maone wrote:
Mr Blobby wrote: I used to notice that for example on IMDB.com, that some trailers wouldn't start unless GA was allowed in NoScript, although maybe the site has changed its coding since?
I'm not sure if you mean it is working now or not. If it's working now, it's probably due to NoScript's surrogate.
Sorry, I meant that lately, IMDB seems to play most trailers without having to temporarily allow GA in NoScript. That was before I deleted GA from ABP.
Giorgio Maone wrote:
Mr Blobby wrote: I don't understand why there was a suggestion in the comments afterwards to whitelist google-analytics in ABP? :?
It's the same as deleting the filter, but if your filter comes from a subscription I'm not sure whether just deleting it suffices or it will be restored on next filterset update unless whitelisted.
Well, I searched the Easylist and *google-analytics* wasn't there, so I must have added it myself a long while ago and used import on later Firefox installs.

So, yes, it makes sense now why you would have suggested adding it to the whitelist if it was in the updated list.

Thanks again.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.10) Gecko/20100914 Firefox/3.6.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)