INCORRECT ACCOUNT NUMBER IN NON-PAYPAL DONATION STICKY

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
Tom T.
Field Marshal

INCORRECT ACCOUNT NUMBER IN NON-PAYPAL DONATION STICKY

Post by Tom T. »

IT WAS DISCOVERED TODAY THAT WACHOVIA GAVE ME AN INCORRECT ACCOUNT NUMBER. IF YOU SENT A CHECK, IT MIGHT EITHER HAVE BEEN RETURNED TO YOU, OR MISTAKENLY PLACED IN THE INCORRECT ACCOUNT BELONGING TO SOMEONE ELSE. THEY REFUSE TO CHECK THE OTHER ACCOUNT NUMBER FOR CHECKS PAYABLE TO "NOSCRIPT", ALLEGEDLY DUE TO PRIVACY CONCERNS.

THE ACCOUNT SHOWS NO RECEIPTS AS OF TODAY, THURSDAY, 9 APRIL 2009, 11:45PM UTC.
IF YOUR CHECK WAS RETURNED TO YOU, PLEASE BE KIND ENOUGH TO RESEND TO THE CORRECT ACCOUNT NUMBER, 200-002-728-2825. IF YOUR CHECK CLEARED THE BANK, PLEASE PM OR EMAIL ME WITH THE INFORMATION SO THAT I CAN GET WACHOVIA TO PROPERLY CREDIT IT TO GIORGIO'S BENEFIT.

I APOLOGIZE BOTH FOR WACHOVIA'S ERROR AND THEIR UNHELPFULNESS IN CORRECTING IT.

EDIT: AS OF FRIDAY, 10 APRIL 2009, 11:30PM UTC, I REACHED A VERY HELPFUL MANAGER AT WACHOVIA. SHE CHECKED THE ORIGINAL (MISTAKEN) ACCOUNT NUMBER AND FOUND THAT NO DONATIONS HAD ARRIVED THERE. (SHE ALSO APOLOGIZED FOR THE INCORRECT RESPONSE BY THE FIRST EMPLOYEE, AND ASSURED ME THAT ACTION WOULD BE TAKEN SO THAT THAT INCORRECT RESPONSE WOULD NOT BE REPEATED, THUS RESTORING MY CONFIDENCE IN WACHOVIA). NOW THAT THE CORRECT ACCOUNT NUMBER HAS BEEN POSTED, SHE WILL MONITOR THE INCORRECT ACCOUNT FOR ANOTHER WEEK AND REPORT TO ME ON 17 APRIL. BY THAT TIME, ANY DONATIONS IN TRANSIT SHOULD HAVE BEEN POSTED, AFTER WHICH THIS ENTIRE THREAD CAN BE REMOVED.

THANK YOU.

UPDATE: FRIDAY, 17 APRIL 2009. I RECEIVED A FOLLOW-UP CALL FROM THE WACHOVIA MANAGER AS PROMISED. *NO* DONATIONS HAVE GONE INTO THE FIRST (INCORRECT) ACCOUNT NUMBER. THEY CONSIDER THE ISSUE CLOSED.

THIS ENTIRE POST CAN BE DELETED BY THE ADMIN WHEN HE DEEMS SUITABLE. THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR PATIENCE.
Last edited by Giorgio Maone on Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: UPDATE RESPONSE FROM WACHOVIA 17 APRIL 2009
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US and very good at it, so please write properly; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 which is much better than 3.x
Charley M

Re: INCORRECT ACCOUNT NUMBER IN NON-PAYPAL DONATION STICKY

Post by Charley M »

In the interests of transparency, because a forum for a security app should demonstrate the highest trust links, as in the WOT model at least, this message should be stickied in all forums and any users who have donated via deposits to it may then add their trust signature to the narration: ie, they have had cheques returned, or they have had cheques negotiated **before** the error was found and would like to pursue the recipient for reimbursement, or they have had cheques negotiated **after** the error was found.
Without any supporting posts from donors, the story posted so far is fulla holes.
This should remain as a sticky item for at least 6 months.

The account operator should also, at least, post a scan or similar documentary evidence of the account number error being acknowledged by the bank.
If the account operator hasn't yet dealt in writing with the bank, then they should get it in writing asap.
Ideally, the bank should also be pressed to audit the originally error-quoted account, since not doing so could be construed as preventing due course.
At least, the bank should act as a third-party mediator (preserving anonymity) for your advice to the account owner of the bank's error and inviting them to initiate some means of reimbursing any funds that have gone into their account.

Evidence of the account operator's completing the above steps - again scans or copies of correspondence - should be posted here as well.
Without the account operator acting as a good faith agent in this, any reader could see this as a story to skim funds, at worst, and as evidence of a poor faith no-action agent, at best.

This post is opinion and advice only, and made in the interests of the NS Community, not simply the Forum team.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032711 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.8
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Moved to "NoScript Support" (the most viewed among the NoScript forums) keeping the shadow redirect in NoScript General (where the other sticky originating this problem is).

Luckily enough, I've never endorsed publicly on the main NoScript site this alternate donation method kindly setup by Tom T: the only reference to it is here in the forums, therefore I doubt many people (if any) already sent their contribution on the initial mistaken route.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Charley M wrote:Ideally, the bank should also be pressed to audit the originally error-quoted account, since not doing so could be construed as preventing due course.
If you read the message, you'll see that they at first refused to do so on Thursday, 9 April; if you read the recent update you'll see that I did indeed "press them to do so" the next day, 10 April, (and before your post of Saturday 11 April,) when I was able to reach a manager at the appropriate level. Other obligations prevented me from posting here until this time, but as you'll see, the priority was low because the issue was moot.
Charley M wrote:At least, the bank should act as a third-party mediator (preserving anonymity) for your advice to the account owner of the bank's error and inviting them to initiate some means of reimbursing any funds that have gone into their account.
I'm not sure what that first clause means, "for your advice to the account owner", but in any event, since no donations were found in either account, it's moot.
Charley M wrote:Evidence of the account operator's completing the above steps - again scans or copies of correspondence - should be posted here as well.
Without the account operator acting as a good faith agent in this, any reader could see this as a story to skim funds, at worst, and as evidence of a poor faith no-action agent, at best.
Any reader could, but apparently, only you did.

I, and 45 million other users worldwide, apparently including yourself, have given almost complete control of my browser, and therefore my whole machine, to Giorgio Maone, without any signed affidavits on his part. He could pwn us all with a single malicious update, but I decided to trust him based on my investigations and opinion.

I believe that you are accusing me of theft and fraud. Have you personal knowledge of what authentication or other mechanisms occurred between Giorgio and myself in setting up this account, a difficult thing to do if you are a non-resident alien to the US? I'm not going to discuss them in the interests of confidentiality, but if you have a concern, perhaps you should question Mr. Maone directly and leave it to him to decide how or whether to answer.

You've already accused another team member, Guardian, of being "a real paid rootin tootin paid killr". It would be interesting to see what accusations you find against Alan Baxter and therube, or against Giorgio himself, except that we would really prefer that you confine your posts to topics relevant to the forum. Please note that certain offensive language was subsequently removed from your "impatient cross-platform user" synchronization guide. Please observe decorum at all times while you are here. Thank you.
Giorgio Maone wrote:Luckily enough, I've never endorsed publicly on the main NoScript site this alternate donation method kindly setup by Tom T: the only reference to it is here in the forums, therefore I doubt many people (if any) already sent their contribution on the initial mistaken route.
That was good judgment, Giorgio, since there can always be kinks like this in setting up a new business account remotely. As you see above, you were correct in that none arrived, but also that if they had, the errors would have been corrected in due course. It's safe to endorse publicly now: Login to the account, and you'll see that the numbers match the new one provided above, and when I get the first paper statement, I'll hushmail you a copy (and all subsequent ones too, of course.) Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US and very good at it, so please write properly; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 which is much better than 3.x
Charley M

Post by Charley M »

The object of the post has been achieved.
I guess the OP will learn eventually - when somebody can be bothered.

So long, investigators :roll:
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032711 Ubuntu/8.04 (hardy) Firefox/3.0.8