Discussion: Site Specific Permissions Policy

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: blocking scripts from a domain on per web-site basis

Post by Tom T. »

One possibility is to click "Temporarily allow" (DoubleClick) on each visit to GameKnot. Then close the browser before going anywhere else. That's a bit of a pain, I know, but it prevents DClick from being loaded anywhere else without your express permission
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

No need to close the browser.
Revoke Temporary Permissions ;-).
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1b4pre) Gecko/20090327 Firefox/2.0 SeaMonkey/2.0b1pre
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

therube wrote:No need to close the browser.
Revoke Temporary Permissions ;-).
D'uh! (slaps forehead)... it was late at night--- poor excuse. thanks therube.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Jangly Mark

Re: How to choose what to block?

Post by Jangly Mark »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:I think I know what you are trying to achieve and you can try to pull a trick by using Adblock Plus to block specific scripts that you don't want allowed by virtue of allowing the main site. Now since I don't use Facebook, I can give you theory only not specifics but if you get Adblock Plus, there is a filter subscription designed to block crap from MySpace, Facebook and so on where someone sat down and did the hard work of isolating them for you and you can further tweak their stuff if you wanted even. Hope that helps.
Thanks :) You're sort of on the right lines. I already have Adblock Plus, and the Myspace junk remover *was* useful, but, nothing that I couldn't have done on my own.

Let me give you another example :

Yahoo Mail Classic - I have forbidden yahoo. As a result, I no longer have Yahoo Chat (RESULT!!!) when I load Yahoo Mail, but, also I have lost the formatting controls when I write an email (eg. Bold, Italic etc). which I would like back.

Without knowing any programming language, how do I achieve this?
A list of blocked scripts would do this - I could experiment until I had the correct combination.
THis is, ultimately, what I'm looking for...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Win98; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: How to choose what to block?

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Its not so much programming, I know I am going to get lynched by my own, but rather learning how to write regular expressions. Of course if you are a programmer, it would make it quite a bit easier or if you are familiar with Unix/Linux. Now the simplest thing most achieve without any knowledge on Adblock is *something* meaning as long as there is "something" in the path, block it. Now you can see how quickly that would become a mistake if you make the string too short or pick a common string. So that's where you might want to expand by learning more of how and what will accomplish a more refined filter.

Here are some links that might get you started:

http://adblockplus.org/en/filters
http://www.regular-expressions.info/reference.html
http://regexlib.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 FirePHP/0.2.4
tom

Post by tom »

Ok, thanks for answering my question.
Hope this feature will come around soon;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; pl-PL; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009030810 Firefox/3.0.7 (Debian-3.0.7-1)
jm34harvey

Super Trusted Websites

Post by jm34harvey »

Suggested "improvement"
I don't like my surfing to all websites to be recorded by advertising data collection services. I would like to choose which sites get my votes and which don't.
Allow "subordinate" trusted websites to be temp enabled from "super trusted" websites
For example: "sub" websites googlesyndication.com, doubleclick.net, etc are temp enabled
from noscript.net, a "super trusted" website
BUT not enabled from bestdealsintown.com not a "super trusted" website
John Harvey, Wizened Web Wizard Wannabe
John Harvey, Wizened Web Wizard Wannabe
“The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.” -Albert Einstein
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 FirePHP/0.2.4
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

I recently received information from another user that AdBlock Original is not detected by such sites as blocking ads, whereas AdBlockPlus is said to be detectable. I haven't personally verified this, but if true, you could allow the DC script, block the ad with AdBlock and not be bothered or distracted by it, and still not have the site fussing at you. Might be worth a try. If you try it, let us know if it works. Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US and very good at it, so please write properly; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 which is much better than 3.x
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Tom T. wrote:I recently received information from another user that AdBlock Original is not detected by such sites as blocking ads, whereas AdBlockPlus is said to be detectable. I haven't personally verified this, but if true, you could allow the DC script, block the ad with AdBlock and not be bothered or distracted by it, and still not have the site fussing at you. Might be worth a try. If you try it, let us know if it works. Thanks.
Forgive me if I am misunderstanding this Tom, are you talking about website developers sniffing for presence of Adblock Plus? If that is what you are asking, you should know that ANY Fx extension can be detected using a straight sniff once you know they are running Fx, like Dell detects and blocks Firebug for example, but this can be defeated very simply by not allowing scripts on that site or actually Adblocking the script and viola, defeats it. If I missed your point, I am sorry but I think this answers what you were saying as I understood it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 FlashGot/1.1.8.5 FirePHP/0.2.4
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Allow Domain For This Domain / Allow All For This Domain

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I see this and it was just discussed a post like two days old. Amazing how some subjects keep coming back :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 FlashGot/1.1.8.5 FirePHP/0.2.4
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Super Trusted Websites

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Wouldn't this fall into the same concept as individual site policy style allow/untrust that has been kicked around for a while and I think Giorgio is working on already? I am personally anxiously waiting for a more policy based NoScript version.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 NoScript/1.9.1.7 RequestPolicy/0.5.4 AdblockPlus/1.0.1 FirePHP/0.2.4
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

@Tom, I posed your question exactly as stated to Wladimir Palant (the developer of Adblock Plus) in a private conversation with him and he responded as follows (posted exactly as written by him):
Wladimir Palant wrote:Websites cannot detect Adblock Plus. Their JavaScript code can notice that some ads are missing, that's what they are doing. If Adblock (that comes without filters and has no filter subscription functionality) isn't blocking anything then they cannot "detect" it. But the same will happen if you remove all filters in Adblock Plus.
hope that helps coming straight from the horse's mouth. Cheers.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.8) Gecko/2009032609 Firefox/3.0.8 FirePHP/0.2.4
eskevar

Group Rule

Post by eskevar »

Hi!Great AddOn for Firefox.

Can you image to add in a next version a group rules division?
For example, if I add some rules for facebook but a day I delete my account I dont need anymore that rules, so I like to erase only those rule with easy.
I can "test" with a "disable" only that group, and if all its ok, delete it.

Thx anyway for your work!

Eskevar
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; it; rv:1.9.0.7) Gecko/2009021910 Firefox/3.0.7
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Re: Group Rule

Post by Tom T. »

Hi! and thank you!
The ability to make rules for individual sites is a feature that has been in development for a long time. We hope to see it soon.
In the meantime, you can use "Temporarily allow" the content that you need at each site, then "Revoke temporary permissions" when you are ready to leave the site.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US and very good at it, so please write properly; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 which is much better than 3.x
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Group Rule

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Or temporarily use RequestPolicy addon to tweak individual sites a bit more until the full feature NS with site policies is released.