NoScript Synchronization Feature - Discussion

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: NoScript Synchronization Feature - Discussion

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Tom T. wrote:Is this an F3-only feature? (that's my guess)
Ouch! Sorry, forgot to tell you. It heavily uses the Places database, which is strictly a Firefox 3 / Seamonkey 2 feature. :oops:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

NoScript 1.9.2.8 brings many improvements to this feature, which is mature for prime time now IMHO.
v 1.9.2.8
=====================================================================
+ 100x speedup of bookmark-based configuration persistence
+ NoScript tries to synchronize its configuration with foreign
bookmarks when the "Backup configuration in bookmarks" gets enabled
in order to ease adding new "slaves"
x Excluded temporary permissions from bookmark-based synchronization
x Fixed XMark synchronization failing because of XMark's 4KB limit on
bookmark URIs
x Fixed opening the [NoScript] configuration bookmark hanging the
AutoPager extension

+ Disqus ClearClick exception
+ Feedly ClearClick exception
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.0.10) Gecko/2009042316 Firefox/3.0.10 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
rimmington

Post by rimmington »

Resurrect!

Just a tiny feature request: would it be possible to allow the user to specify where the configuration bookmark should be kept? It's just kinda annoying having the "[NoScript]" folder on the end of the bookmark menu. I prefer to keep extension-related bookmarks in the Toolbar folder, myself - I never use the bookmarks toolbar.

Nice work on this feature BTW: I'm using it in conjunction w/ Xmarks and it works beautifully :)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.0.11) Gecko/2009060310 Ubuntu/8.10 (intrepid) Firefox/3.0.11
tvhwy

Post by tvhwy »

rimmington wrote:Just a tiny feature request: would it be possible to allow the user to specify where the configuration bookmark should be kept? It's just kinda annoying having the "[NoScript]" folder on the end of the bookmark menu. I prefer to keep extension-related bookmarks in the Toolbar folder, myself - I never use the bookmarks toolbar.
I just joined the forum just to echo this sentiment.

The [NoScript] folder, at least optionally, should be placed under Unsorted Bookmarks. That way it's hidden from view except under Organize Bookmarks. Additionally, the description field of the folder or the bookmark or both might contain an explanation of its purpose.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Thank you for the suggestions, I am sure if they are feasible, they will be implemented by Giorgio. In the meantime please be patient and realize that there are more pressing and long awaited features in progress that need much of his attention. :arrow:
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5
qwerty017

Post by qwerty017 »

So it looks like XMarks isn't going to play nice and actually allow syncing for large bookmarks. Their recommendation from what I can see was to ask you to split them up into smaller multiple bookmarks. Would this be possible? Also, I have another question.

I accidentally deleted the noscript bookmark when i was reinstalling. I went into settings and turned off then turned back on the noscript sync feature hoping it would recreate the bookmark but it did not. Is there some other way to get it to be remade?

**This also seems to be the same with Weave which is what I am using. Can't sync the noscript bookmark.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.3a3pre) Gecko/20100310 Minefield/3.7a3pre (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
blueyed

Post by blueyed »

The instructions posted on http://hackademix.net/2009/05/13/synchr ... or-xmarks/ do not work with Firefox 4 (4.0b5pre currently) anymore.
4. A confirmation prompt will ask you if you really want to overwrite your configuration with the content of the synchronized bookmark. Answer “OK”.
I have setup the master a while ago already, and could setup a FF 3.6 slave using this, but now it does not appear to work with Minefield anymore - the confirmation prompt never appears and no whitelist settings are being synced.

I could try it using FF 3.6 once more - please ask then.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0b5pre) Gecko/20100819 Minefield/4.0b5pre
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

blueyed wrote:I have setup the master a while ago already, and could setup a FF 3.6 slave using this, but now it does not appear to work with Minefield anymore - the confirmation prompt never appears and no whitelist settings are being synced.
Are you using XMarks or Weave (Sync)?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.8) Gecko/20100722 Firefox/3.6.8
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

(Just to note that current SeaMonkey Trunk uses places bookmarks.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.11) Gecko/20100701 SeaMonkey/2.0.6
blueyed

Post by blueyed »

Giorgio Maone wrote:
blueyed wrote:I have setup the master a while ago already, and could setup a FF 3.6 slave using this, but now it does not appear to work with Minefield anymore - the confirmation prompt never appears and no whitelist settings are being synced.
I am using Sync (formerly Weave), currently at 1.4.4.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0b5pre) Gecko/20100822 Minefield/4.0b5pre
SilverSurfer

Post by SilverSurfer »

blueyed wrote:
Giorgio Maone wrote:
I am using Sync (formerly Weave), currently at 1.4.4.
Hi,

I have the same problem: settings are not saved in the Bookmarks structure. Actually, not even the folder [NoScript] is created.
Currently I use FF 4.0 Beta 4 with FF Sync 1.4.4, the profile was originally created with FF 3.x.
I also tried to create a new profile, setup sync (connecting to existent sync account), installed NoScript, and enabled the NoScript Sync via Bookmarks feature.
What might be of interest: I deleted some of the dynamic standard bookmarks of FF (most visited, last added, etc)
If I can be of any help to troubleshoot, please advise.

Thanks, and best regards
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:2.0b4) Gecko/20100818 Firefox/4.0b4
Faxanadu

Post by Faxanadu »

Same issue as the previous 2 posters, noscript bookmark settings in the Firefox 4 Betas is not working as it does in 3.6.8. Normally if I create a new slave machine in ff 3 I get the noscript popup asking me if I'm sure I want to import settings. This doesn't happen with ff 4b4 or minefield. I found that if I moved the imported noscript bookmark into unsorted and then back to the bookmarks menu it would adjust my noscript settings. Noscript never did create a new bookmark/folder if there was not one present. Tested on 4b4 portable win xp pro 32, 4b4 win 7 32bit, 4b4 (32bit) ubuntu 64, minefield 4b5 (64bit) ubuntu 64 - all behaved as I described above. Using Sync 1.4.4 and Xmarks 3.7.8, and I've tried noscript 2.0.2.3 and 2.0.2.3rc1 with the same results.

I'm guessing that the betas are either storing the bookmarks in a slightly different way, or have made some change to the way extensions interact with them. Also, thanks for noscript, it's one of the few extensions that determines which version of firefox I'll run.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:2.0b5pre) Gecko/20100823 Minefield/4.0b5pre
blueyed

Post by blueyed »

I found that if I moved the imported noscript bookmark into unsorted and then back to the bookmarks menu it would adjust my noscript settings.
So the workaround would be to setup a slave, enable synchronization in NoScript and then move the newly created bookmark back and forth?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:2.0b8pre) Gecko/20101013 Firefox/4.0b8pre
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Firefox 4 broke compatibility with this feature.
Before final Fx 4 release I'll drop XMarks support via bookmark and provide native integration (with no bookmark) with Firefox Sync.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12
Emagin

Post by Emagin »

Giorgio,
I'm looking at NS preferences in FF5 (also using webrunner 5) and I see nothing in the General tab about synchronization.
Was hoping to keep the whitelists sync'd across FF using FF Sync.
Is this still planned or has this part been dropped?
Grazie 1000

Casomai aggiorni questi articoli che spiegano cose che non sono + attive nelle nuove versioni.
http://hackademix.net/2009/05/13/synchr ... or-xmarks/
http://noscript.net/faq#qa2_4 (2.4 su sync)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:5.0) Gecko/20100101 SEAMail/5.0