Automatic Product Linking

Discussion about the board itself, forums organization and site bugs.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: Automatic Product Linking

Post by Giorgio Maone »

I just added:
  1. A custom [faq=] BBCode tag, which gets flashgot or noscript as its parameter and n1.n2 as its body:

Code: Select all

[faq=noscript]3.5[/faq]
    for instance translates to FAQ 3.5
  2. A set of "shortcuts", accessible to moderators only and freely manageable (with any BBCode) from this page, which can be typed when posting and are replaced at preview/submission time.

Hope it helps.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Thank you sir, this is excellent news. I will give it a whirl as soon as I have something to say ;)
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Also:

amo = Firefox Add-ons
hax = Hackademix.net
old = NoScript version history

A toast to Giorgio! Image
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Very cool! I've put the key in the sidebar while posting. Makes cut and paste a breeze.

I use about:config to modify my prefs.js file and Firefox Add-ons to customize my browsing experience. The Hackademix.net site convinced me that if I don't use NoScript, then I'll be pwnd[1]. The NoScript Quick Start Guide was extremely helpful when I started using this extension. If I'm having trouble with NoScript, I turn to the most excellently written General Troubleshooting Instructions, which tell me to install the latest development build and fix my profile while troubleshooting with the Standard Diagnostic. If I need to ask for help in the NoScript forums, I always follow the Forum Rules. Wow! The NoScript version history shows that NoScript has been through a lot changes.

[1] That's a word the real hackers on the boards use a lot. Did I do it right? LOL.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

Alan Baxter wrote:"pwnd"... That's a word the real hackers on the boards use a lot. Did I do it right? LOL.
Yes, Alan, you did it right, but I don't think we need a shortcut to that. :lol:
Alan Baxter wrote:the most excellently written General Troubleshooting Instructions,
That's what I've always admired most about you, Alan: your humility. :P
(it *was* very well written, would save a lot of time if users tried it first, and I -- and others -- link to it frequently. Seriously, nice job there. :ugeek:)

Since RequestPolicy was mentioned in the discussion so much, yours truly also added

rp = RequestPolicy and
abp = Adblock Plus

:ugeek: :ugeek:
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

This is fun ! :D

abeh = ABE
abeq = ABE FAQ

Mnemonic: ABE h = ABE @ Hackademix
ABE q = ABE FAQ @ NS FAQ

aka = Akamai FAQ
akamai = Akamai FAQ

Explanation: In the US, aka or a/k/a is a common acronym for "also known as", i. e., an alias or other form of a person's name. So "aka" is there for those who can remember/prefer the shortened form, and the full name is there for those who might have trouble remembering the shortened form.

cc = ClearClick FAQ
defwl = Default Whitelist FAQ
features = NoScript "Features" Page

Explanation: The word "feature" is used far too commonly. It is hoped that the keyword "features" would be less likely to cause confusion.

fgfaq = Flashgot FAQ
https = HTTPS FAQ
fhttps = Force HTTPS FAQ

Mnemonic: https = general category of HTTPS FAQ
fhttps = specific Force HTTPS FAQ

nsfaq = NoScript FAQ
plugin = NoScript Plugin FAQ The FAQ explaining why to default-deny JS, Java, Flash, and other plugin content.
reload = Auto-Reload_Page FAQ
sync = Synchronize NoScript For Multiple Computers
trust = FAQ: "What Is A Trusted Site?"
xss = XSS FAQ
ymail = Yahoo Mail FAQ
youtube = YouTube FAQ

One modest suggestion, no offense to the incredible developer of this excellent tool:

"ldb" for Latest Dev Build .... ZoneAlarm has a couple of system files (Windows\Internet Logs) with the extension .ldb. Also, "db" tends to make most of us -- especially Guardian, I'm sure ;) -- think of "database".

I would modestly suggest "dev" for Latest Dev Build, but of course won't override Giorgio's initial entry nor create a duplicate unless the suggestion is approved.
Last edited by Tom T. on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: add more shortcuts
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Tom T. wrote:I would modestly suggest "dev" for Latest Dev Build, but of course won't override Giorgio's initial entry nor create a duplicate unless the suggestion is approved.
FWIW, I approve.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Automatic Product Linking - AMO non-localized

Post by Tom T. »

I've edited the link to AMO to remove the en-US localization, which is done automatically for each user's locale, per this suggestion/reminder.

Edit: Did the same for Adblock Plus and RequestPolicy. Wasn't being chauvinistic; just copied/pasted what I had bookmarked, without even thinking about it. Glad Mc brought it up.
Last edited by Tom T. on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: add rp and abp edits
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

I was going to say dev but I see it was already suggested and accepted. Tom since you use ABO so much, why don't you add that too. I wish there was a way for the shortcuts to turn into links like the smilies so we have the list of so much abbreviations for easier access, similar to what Alan said about having the list in front of him, or a drop down list. Great tool, happy to see its off to such a fun start for everyone, glad we have this tool. As for the db, I would instinctively think database as most people do without a context but I understood what ldp was as soon as I saw it and before I looked over for the long version. I also instantly thought, dev would be more user-friendly but instead of saying anything, I was just going to add it as an option. I guess hackers think more alike than just pwning people.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

GµårÐïåñ wrote:I was going to say dev but I see it was already suggested and accepted.
With support from two other Mods, "dev" has been added for NoScript latest development build. I see no harm in having both shortcuts.
Tom since you use ABO so much, why don't you add that too.
Done.
abo = Adblock Original. However, since it is not F3-compatible, its days are numbered. I'm sincerely hoping that someone will pick up its maintenance and make it F3 compatible, as it still seems IMHO to be less complex than Adblock Plus; undetectable by "ad-block-detectors"; and maintenance-free (once it is made F3-compatible, and perhaps Win 7 etc.).

Also added:
fgdev = FlashGot latest development build
fgfaq = Flashgot FAQ
nsfaq = NoScript FAQ
I wish there was a way for the shortcuts to turn into links like the smilies so we have the list of so much abbreviations for easier access, similar to what Alan said about having the list in front of him, or a drop down list.
Yes, in the discussion thread I had asked for a drop-down list early on. One step at a time, though, this was a tremendous service for Giorgio to do for us all, and perhaps later he can make them into a dropdown list, or perhaps just have the abbreviations in text right below the smilies, no icons or anything. Like:

abconf abeh abo abp
aka akamai cc defwl
dev etc.
Great tool, happy to see its off to such a fun start for everyone, glad we have this tool.
Amen, Brother.
As for the db, I would instinctively think database as most people do without a context but I understood what ldp was as soon as I saw it and before I looked over for the long version. I also instantly thought, dev would be more user-friendly but instead of saying anything, I was just going to add it as an option. I guess hackers think more alike than just pwning people.
Agree. Perhaps "ldv" Latest dev *version*, but IMHO, "dev" was more intuitive also.

I keep ZoneAlarm de-bloated with some documented measures and some of my own, personal undocumented tricks, and deleting the .ldb files occasionally and letting them rebuild from scratch is among them. So maybe it caught my eye more than it might have for some other users.

Thanks for your input and support, GµårÐïåñ.
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Not a problem brother, its all good. As for the 3.x compatibility for ABO, I believe the transition to some of the DOM element infrastructure in 3.x is what makes the extensions detectable. So if this was adapted for 3.x, I am almost 100% certain it would have to be adapted to the new system and refrain from using deprecated modules since it will probably become obsolete if not completely dumped, making it governed by the rules of the new paradigm. Just thinking out loud though, not sure. I will be the first to honestly admit that I don't know enough about the new infrastructure to say with absolute certainty but logic would suggest that it would be this way, Giorgio can say for sure, he works with this and future infrastructures to keep his extensions up to date, he would know for certain having run the full gambit of core gecko versions.
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4) Gecko/20091017 SeaMonkey/2.0
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

therube wrote:kb = mozillaZine Knowledge Base
Good one.

Question: Upon reflection, does a link name like "Yahoo Mail FAQ" or "YouTube FAQ" imply that readers are being sent to Yahoo or YouTube? Kind of seems that way. Wanted to keep the link names reasonable in length, but should they read "NoScript FAQ: Yahoo Mail", or perhaps "NoScript Yahoo Mail FAQ"?

It's an easy edit to make. With consensus, I'll volunteer to do it. What does everyone think?
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Agreed, that's a good addition.