Can't download direct links

Ask for help about FlashGot, no registration needed to post
JohnPaulJones

Can't download direct links

Post by JohnPaulJones »

Hi, all. I'm not sure whether I"m using the correct term here, so I'll give an example. I was trying to download Google SketchUp for Mac earlier, and I clicked on the "Accept and Download" link, upon which Google took me to a new page that was supposed to serve up the download (Link: http://dl.google.com/sketchup/GoogleSketchUpMEN.dmg). I've set my FlashGot to intercept all downloads, so I wasn't so surprised that Firefox's download menu didn't pop up. The problem, though, is that it never showed up in JDownloader. In fact, the loading bar at the bottom of Firefox never moved. It just stayed on a blank page with an empty loading bar and "Transferring data from..." in the status bar. This only happens with web pages that link directly to a specific file, such as mirrors. If I right-click and select "Save File As," the files download normally--al beit without any acceleration--so I know it's not a Firefox problem.

I've tried iGetter and Speed Download 5 and have gotten the same problem, so I know it's not JDownloader. I've tried disabling FlashGot, uninstalling and reinstalling, changing various preferences, and anything else I can think of. I used DownThemAll before FlashGot, but switched because of JDownloader's auto-unRAR and file merging abilities; dTa never had this problem with direct links. I really enjoy using JD and FlashGot, but I'll have to switch back if I downloading a simple file is this much of a hassle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3