XSS and Globally Allowed

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
Hugger

XSS and Globally Allowed

Post by Hugger »

I think I read somewhere that I'm protected against XSS even if I have Globally Allowed all sites. Is that true?
Also, is there a way to set up NS so that I don't get so many pop ups?
It really is driving me crazy.
Is there an easier way to set up NS so that the average pc user does not have to become a support tech to do this?
I have no idea of what I should do with most of the options.
Thanks.
Hugger
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: XSS and Globally Allowed

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Hugger wrote:I think I read somewhere that I'm protected against XSS even if I have Globally Allowed all sites. Is that true?
Yes, it's true.
Hugger wrote: Also, is there a way to set up NS so that I don't get so many pop ups?
What kind of popups? Unless you use Globally Allow, no popup should pass through.
Otherwise, you're alone with Firefox's built-in popup blocker.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Hugger wrote:Is there an easier way to set up NS so that the average pc user does not have to become a support tech to do this?
I have no idea of what I should do with most of the options.
You might not need to do any setup at all. The default options work well for most users. Have you read the NOSCRIPT QUICK START GUIDE FOR BEGINNERS yet? Please feel free to ask for more help if necessary.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Hugger

Post by Hugger »

Thank you both for your help.
Yes, I have read the FAQ's before posting.
By pop ups I mean the constant NoScript pop up at the bottom of the page telling me what it's doing. I know I can disable that but I wonder if there isn't a setting that reduces the pop ups while still notifying me of important occurrences.
Thanks.
Hugger
Tom T.
Field Marshal

Post by Tom T. »

The Quick Start guide to which Alan Baxter linked is a separate document from the FAQs. You might find additional help there.

NoScript > Options > Notifications tab will give you the option to enable or disable messages about blocked scripts, whether you want them at the top or bottom, if at all, and even for how many seconds you would like them to remain. Unchecking "Show message about blocked scripts" will do what you want, I think.

Please try it and let us know if that was what you were seeking.

The color-coding of the NS logo alerts you to whether blocked objects have attempted to load, as you saw in the FAQ. You can then click the menu for more details.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US at an expert level; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20 diehard