Unable to allow media elements to display on this page

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
pjk

Unable to allow media elements to display on this page

Post by pjk »

From time to time I run across pages that seem to have blocked JS but whose domain does not get displayed in NoScript so I cannot un-block it to get some part of the page to be viewable.

Today the problem page is this one:

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/investigatio ... t/3472248/

At the top is a graphic or video. I have enabled everything that seems likely to be needed, but I cannot get the image/video to display.

Using the Chromium page inspector it looks like that content may be served by Akamai, I see references to "akamaized.net" in there, but I don't know enough about modern page design or the inspector tool to tell whether that's actually critical to get the content to display or not.

"akamaized.net" does not appear in NoScript's UI for that page.

I thought maybe uBlock Origin is blocking something, but opening their logger and reloading the page doesn't show anything in their list in the akamaized.net domain either.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/120.0.0.0 Safari/537.36
barbaz

Re: Unable to allow media elements to display on this page

Post by barbaz »

That video doesn't play for me even with NoScript and uBlock Origin completely disabled in Tools > Add-ons and Themes.
pjk wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:11 am Using the Chromium page inspector it looks like that content may be served by Akamai, I see references to "akamaized.net" in there, but I don't know enough about modern page design or the inspector tool to tell whether that's actually critical to get the content to display or not.
Yes, can confirm it is.

For me, getting the video to play required a surrogate script type approach to paper over the related error shown in the Web Console (Ctrl-Shift-K). Only then did I get option to allow the needed sites, which were "fwmrm.net" and "prodamdlim.akamaized.net".
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0
pjk

Re: Unable to allow media elements to display on this page

Post by pjk »

barbaz wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:21 pm That video doesn't play for me even with NoScript and uBlock Origin completely disabled in Tools > Add-ons and Themes.
pjk wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:11 am Using the Chromium page inspector it looks like that content may be served by Akamai, I see references to "akamaized.net" in there, but I don't know enough about modern page design or the inspector tool to tell whether that's actually critical to get the content to display or not.
Yes, can confirm it is.

For me, getting the video to play required a surrogate script type approach to paper over the related error shown in the Web Console (Ctrl-Shift-K). Only then did I get option to allow the needed sites, which were "fwmrm.net" and "prodamdlim.akamaized.net".

OK, thanks for looking into that.

Unfortunately, I don't have the patience or expertise in JS to go to that level of complexity just to get a single page to run. Certainly not for a one-off news item on a domain I rarely read.

Re: his 2nd note on the page you linked (from 15 years ago, sheesh), I do in fact block ALL Google domains by default (with a few specific exceptions), and I have no interest in ever running actual Google Analytics code. I wish there was a way to just replace it on every page with a "dummy" and stop having to fiddle around with pages constantly.

Somewhat related to that, I've been frustrated lately with the "custom" rule where the UI suggests that you can run JS from a domain based on the "calling" domain. (eg never run anything from bad-domain.com unless it is being called from good-domain.com)

But that feature never seems to work when I use it. Maybe I don't understand it properly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_7) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/122.0.0.0 Safari/537.36