do you realy need donations?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Sebsatian

do you realy need donations?

Post by Sebsatian »

I say you recieve 730,000$ from US gov or its fake news?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/112.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Re: do you realy need donations?

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Sebsatian wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:55 pm I say you recieve 730,000$ from US gov or its fake news?
Fake news, but if you manage to make it real I'll be grateful:)
Side note, if it's not a joke, your source?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/117.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:45 pm Side note, if it's not a joke, your source?
Can't answer for the OP, but $725,000 of that figure maybe this? - https://www.opentech.fund/results/suppo ... /noscript/
But even if that is related, not seeing any source about the other $5000 OP claims you received? :?

@Sebsatian, please still provide all your source(s) for the $730,000 figure, even if the information in this post is in any way related. Thanks.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Thanks @barbaz for helping connect the dots :D.

Yes, NoScript received a total $725,000 gross from OTF since 2014 up to 2021 as grants for 4 different focused development efforts.

They've been taxed in Italy (where I live and operate) at a ~60% rate, which means $290,000 after taxes in 7 years: an average of ~$42,000/year. Hardly a junior developer wage, is it?

Anyway, still fake news, as the Open Technology Fund is far from being "the US Government".
OTF receives a fixed yearly congressional endowment to be managed independently, based on their charter (supporting anti-surveillance and anti-censorship Free Open Source Software aimed at Internet Freedom) and the technical expertise of their world-class advisory council.
Because of their independence and their commitment to free software and open technology against proprietary commercial (and opaque) "solutions", they've been actually almost shut down by the sitting US government in 2020.

Edit: corrected my botched math where I underestimated the cut after taxes by $145.000 ;)
therube
Ambassador

Post by therube »

4 different focused development efforts
?
Oh, so like adding support for Chrome(ium) & the like & other changes over time.

Heh.
Their "We wrote about it" & "Funding to date" are hardly in a logical order:
March 2019, January 2019, August 2019...
2016, 2020, 2014, 2107... ?, heh.
[At least their People list is sorted correctly, alphabetically, by first name - as it should be.]

Anyhow, good for you (& us) for making the world a better place :-).

(
Never heard of them before.
Or at least if I had, it was in & out ;-).

https://www.opentech.fund/about/values-principles/
"Mission", "values & principles", "inclusive, diverse community"...

Oh, how that sparks memories of Mozilla's Manifesto.
Ugh!

And then the two Mozilla's. (Is that two-faced?) The "non-profit" & then the "err".

Anyhow, when something is done because it is "politically correct", it is wrong (IMHO).
Everything that is done today, is done because it is "politically correct".
For the last few years, the old “melting pot” symbol by which we tended for generations to define the coalescing of dramatically diverse population groups into “Americans,” has been set aside. Today, references to the melting pot analogy of American coalescence are invariably met with ridicule.

The old concept has been dramatically discarded. Now, instead of seeking to achieve the lofty goal articulated by the great American motto of E Pluribus Unum (“Out of Many, One”), we glorify differences and divisiveness. Effectively, the new American motto is “Diversity Defines Us,” with an additional tagline of “the greater our differences, the better.”
https://www.jewishtimes.com/tossing-out ... isemitism/

Take that, think more broadly, & you can expand it to just about everything that goes on, that is out there these days, & you will better understand one of the reasons that we are (the world is) in such a sorry shape that it is.
)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball NoScript FlashGot AdblockPlus
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0 SeaMonkey/2.53.18
Sebastian

Post by Sebastian »

My source was a friend he told me, the most famous german IT magazine(Heise) published an article 2 days ago about all FOSS donations from us gov and he miss the sum and told me that - and i was suprised. now i looked into - and in fact it was the $725,000 to make NoScript portable.Im very very sorry for the noise. (not my best action so far)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/112.0
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Sebastian wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:15 pm I'm very very sorry for the noise. (not my best action so far)
No need to worry: this thread has actually been useful for me because, even though OTF funding is very public and transparent, I was not aware of the "recap" page featuring that quite impressive (especially if reported out of context) grand-total figure :shock:

Furthermore, it seems @therube and @barbaz as well learned something new in the process :)
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Sebastian wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:15 pm the most famous german IT magazine(Heise) published an article 2 days ago about all FOSS donations from us gov
Thanks Sebastian.

So, it's probably this article - https://www.heise.de/hintergrund/Missin ... 83584.html

... which says NoScript got $730,000 (not $725,000) from OTF, and provides the same link as I posted above - but unless I'm missing something, the article doesn't say anything to suggest it's rounding (and while some rounding would be understandable, why round 725,000 up to 730,000? Image ), and I'm not seeing the explanation or source about the additional $5000 not reported on OTF's site? Image Maybe the explanation of this got lost in automated translation from German to English?

Anyway most of this figure is clear now what it means for NoScript, thanks Giorgio for the details and clarification, I did indeed learn some new things from this thread :)
Sebastian wrote: Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:15 pm Im very very sorry for the noise. (not my best action so far)
No worries, your question was legitimate.
Flyp

Post by Flyp »

Giorgio Maone wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:08 pm Because of their independence and their commitment to free software and open technology against proprietary commercial (and opaque) "solutions", they've been actually almost shut down by the sitting US government in 2020.
Aw yes, was it especially after Trump LOST the popular vote AGAIN and lost Presidency (they should make those changes happen the next day like in Parliamentary governments, not staying around until jan 20th the next year giving them a chance to cause civil unrest. Democrats/Gore actually won in 2000 and Gore gave up because he was afraid of what was going on in Florida with that whole Jeb Bush/Roger Stone crew (see Brooks Brothers Riot) preventing the recount from being finished in time. Gore was in the right much more so than Trump and gave up to the Neocon bullies in Florida's government just for the sake of public order/safety, while grassroots organizations ended up proving he won. Tumpsters and Co. did a lot of crazy things before Jan 6. and anything that's about giving money to pro-privacy organizations such as NoScript developers through semi-independent institutions like the NDI (that's a Democrat friendly version of the National Endowment for Democracy, a thing created by Reagan, which isn't a really good thing despite its name when you take a good look at what it stands for, it's headed by the same guy since 83 when it was created! (last time I checked anyway, sometime in 2020). Republicans even created a sub-semi-governmental organization to counter the NDI, the IRI, International Republican Institute... way back, while the link of the NDI to the NED, being one of its four core sub-organizations is dubious, there is some good things achieved, mostly by the NDI.

If the NDI helps foreigners who understand US policy like me to protect themselves from the evils of endless pervasive surveillance, commercial or governmental, does it really matter, even those who pay tax money for it (aka American taxpayers) are subsidizing a thing for the greater good, a rare thing these days. No wonder Trump and Co. wanted it dead...
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/117.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Just a moderator heads-up that politics is EXTREMELY polarized for some years now, therefore do not make any political posts on this forum, as such content would quickly make Forum Rules #4 unenforceable. Thanks for understanding.