privacy | a new FF extension

General discussion about web technology.
ajay11

privacy | a new FF extension

Post by ajay11 »

I would like to ask somebody to develop a FF extension, where the values of a small number of about:config settings in FF can always be seen (and ideally immediately switched / changed) in a simple, always open small window, user configurable if possible.

This is all about better privacy, and I think I have some good ideas for the hows and whys, but I cannot find a dev to do it (paid or other) as I am not into developing FF extensions or add-ons.

Could anybody tell me if it is feasible at all ? (or forbidden by FF policies)
Or could anybody help me find a dev who might be interested ?

Thanks a lot !
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.13; rv:93.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/93.0
barbaz

Re: privacy | a new FF extension

Post by barbaz »

This is not technically possible in WebExtensions, unless all of the settings you want to change are changeable through browser.privacy API (or similar? browser.privacy is the only such API I happen to know of)

If this extension is just for you, and you use Firefox Developer Edition, it would be possible to use WebExtensions Experiments to create additional API(s) for your extension to view & change the specific settings you're interested in. But IIRC from having tried, using WebExtensions Experiments is quite involved. So if it comes to that, maybe try searching for a dev who actively publishes & updates extensions that use WebExtensions Experiments?

EDIT Another thing regarding WebExtensions Experiments, or other means of more powerful extensions in current Firefox/Gecko: watch out for false claims of simplicity, if people are still making such claims. Don't trust any dev who does that. Some facts and useful links in viewtopic.php?t=25510 (note that I no longer use Waterfox and now would recommend against it).
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/113.0
ajay11

Re: privacy | a new FF extension

Post by ajay11 »

Thanks a lot, it is clear that I have underestimated the way FF protects / is protected against such an approach. My idea use-case is harmless enough, but no doubt such a thing could be misused.
Anyway your answer does - as always - help a lot to set expectations right.
Best Regards
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0