menu option suggetion

Bug reports and enhancement requests
Kracov

menu option suggetion

Post by Kracov »

I did read the sticky about the "temporarily allow this page" repeatedly topic. I understand it's a complicated thing. However, I have an idea.

nbcnews.com is notorious for the dozens of domains they rely on. It takes about 5-6 "allows" to get the video player to work. What if you make an option in the menu that says "Temporarily Allow all subsequent domains to play video"? It would reload the page until Noscript detects that the video can play.

If that's not an option, how about a feature that upon selecting, it shows what domains are required to allow in order for the video to play? That way, we can permanently allow the domains and be done with it. Before you say "that sounds like an impossible amount of coding", at least consider the possibility of some functionality that allows for it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/109.0
barbaz

Re: menu option suggetion

Post by barbaz »

Moving to NoScript Development.

Unfortunately this is not technically possible, no matter how much coding is put into it.

While "a video playing" is more concrete than "getting wanted functionality working", there are still too many possible different ways a webpage can make a video player (or more than one video player on a page, then there would be the problem of how to tell which video is the desired one). But even solving all that is insufficient - for example, there are cases where the wanted video player will both play ads and play the wanted content, and a set of "allows" in NoScript only gets the ads playing. So automatic detection of whether the wanted video is playing would require at least AI level power, if even that is enough.

This is way beyond what any WebExtension can do, sorry.

And even if it weren't: as for NoScript integration, there is no way around trial-and-error in determining which scripts a video player requires, which doing automatically could be a lot of rapid-fire reloads - which could get you flagged as a potential malicious bot, reducing the usability of NoScript.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/111.0
Kracov

Post by Kracov »

Some Firefox video downloaders differentiate between ads and videos by allowing the user to set a file size minimum detection. Like 1mb is usually enough because most ads are below 1mb. It's rather simple.

Also, I already do a lot of "rapid fire reloads" using many websites that require allowing domain access. I haven't ever gotten a flag for it.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/109.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Kracov wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:06 pm Some Firefox video downloaders differentiate between ads and videos by allowing the user to set a file size minimum detection. Like 1mb is usually enough because most ads are below 1mb.
So are many "actual" videos, as far as something like NoScript is concerned. The videos are split up into chunks on the server side, each chunk is requested by script (I don't think there is any way to tell this type video request vs other script-driven requests anyway), and then played piece by piece on the browser side.
Kracov wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:06 pm Also, I already do a lot of "rapid fire reloads" using many websites that require allowing domain access. I haven't ever gotten a flag for it.
These wouldn't reach the sort of rate an automated method would. And adding delays to match human speed would make it tedious.
Kracov

Post by Kracov »

I've used many video downloaders, and I've never accidentally downloaded an ad. So I don't think you understand how it works. Additionally, you could add other requirements such as "ignore animated gifs". You act as if the usage of the video downloaders are witchcraft.

People can also set the minimum file size to 10mb, because ads are never above that level anyway.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Kracov wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:18 pm I don't think you understand how it works. [...] You act as if the usage of the video downloaders are witchcraft.
This site being the FlashGot forums, the way video downloaders work is well known around here.

You act as if downloading a user-selected, already-playing video is the same problem as automatically zeroing in on a not-yet-known video and determining whether it's playing. I don't think you understand how it works.