suggestion: contextual by default

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
scriptaddict

Suggestion: Option to make contextual permission default

Post by scriptaddict »

Hi,

My suggestion is to have an option so that new permission will be contextual (applicable to the domain in context) by default.

Thank you.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:99.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/99.0

suggestion: contextual by default

Post by guest »

It would be convenient to have an option in the settings which makes all new permissions contextual to the top site by default, especially for temporary sites. Doesn't that seem useful or are there any drawbacks?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/111.0

Re: suggestion: contextual by default

Post by guest »

Oh, now that I posted it I found the same was already suggested here 1 year ago, so probably there is a drawback or lack of interest.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/111.0
Ropufu

Post by Ropufu »

I'd say there definitely is(!!) a certain group of people who would love this feature. That was the first thing that crossed my mind after I installed NoScript: why does it have to be so cumbersome to allow, say, google.com only on google.com? I don't want everybody sending data to Google by default just because I like using Google Maps.

In other words: this is a +1 from me.

Or add a single-button like "TRUSTED ON THIS DOMAIN ONLY" to the current list of 5 options. Make it 6!! Please!!! And thank you.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/114.0
LST

Make default scope in "Custom" tab set to only match current top page

Post by LST »

Couldn't figure out a good way to write a concise subject line, so I'll explain:

When setting permissions for specific domains, I almost never use "Trusted" since I prefer to have more fine-grained control over what is being whitelisted, so I use "Custom". However, the default interface for "Custom" applies rules to all sites, rather than just the current page.

I.e., if I am browsing a site that uses ReCaptcha, I will need to whitelist Google scripts, so I click "Custom" for google.com and adjust the settings in NoScript. The issue (annoyance?) I have is that by default, choosing the "Custom" scope makes all new rules apply to *all sites* where google.com scripts are used. This means that, if I then open a new site, google.com scripts will be allowed to run by default because of the rules I just applied to the previous site.

There is of course the option to only make rules apply to the current top page. So if my site, example.com, needs me to whitelist google.com scripts, I can use "Custom" to allow google.com scripts only when I'm visiting example.com. However, this requires manually selecting "example.com" from the dropdown menu.

I think it would be better to have "Custom" rules only apply to the current top page by default, rather than all sites (basically, just switch the default selection in the dropdown menu). My reasoning for this is that it's very easy to forget to switch the dropdown selection to the current top page, and accidentally set rules for all sites instead. I would image that most people using "Custom" are more comfortable with the NoScript interface, and would (like me) possible benefit from more granular control over whitelisting.

Wondering if there is a reason to *not* do this that I am missing, beyond making things faster for people less finicky than me.

This is my first post in the forum, so I apologize if I missed anything but I did read the FAQ before writing this out.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:121.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/121.0
brunoais

[Feature request] Allow setting "when top page matches" to current top page by default

Post by brunoais »

Hello. I request to add a setting so when permission is given to execute javascript from a URL, it only allows for the current website.

When that setting is active, it's the same as if when pressing Permit, the "Enable these capabilities when top page matches" always becomes set to specifies the current top domain name.

Why?
Because there are multiple websites with shared remote cloud servers and I don't want to give permissions by default, by mistake, to all external accesses to those websites by default.

An easy example is google's firebase database. Basically allowing google to know multiple websites I might go to. I much rather explicitly sharing what pages google is allowed to know I visit.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/109.0.0.0 Safari/537.36 Edg/109.0.1474.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Threads merged.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:121.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/121.0