Security and Privacy Info

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
ddoern

Security and Privacy Info

Post by ddoern »

I love NoScript, have been using it for years and years, have donated too!

When I go to a site and there are multiple unknown JavaScripts being run, it seems unnecessarily burdensome to have to click on them one-by-one to make use of the Security and Privacy Info feature, which I guess is still experimental/undeveloped.

Two suggestions:

1. While I'm on the pop-up page showing me all the various JavaScripts, let me click on multiple script entries while I'm there (i.e. allow Cmd-click on my Mac, CTRL-click on a PC to go to the Security and Privacy info in a new tab/window). As it is now I have to keep going back-and-forth between my search engine and NoScript to see what each one is.

2. Less important--When I land on Security and Privacy Info page for a particular JavaScript I wind grabbing the script name from your URL (e.g. https://noscript.net/about/noscript.net;noscript.net) and just popping the last part (noscript.net) into my search engine to see what it is. Could you please add just that last part of the URL as a hyperlink to the Security and Privacy Info page, so I/others could easily click on it to search out what it is, rather than having to do the extra steps of copying the URL and then editing it down to do the search?

Thanks much!
Last edited by barbaz on Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: actually make the edit ddoern wanted
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
barbaz

Re: Security and Privacy Info

Post by barbaz »

ddoern wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:34 pm Last sentence should have read:
"Could you please add just that last part of the URL as a hyperlink to the Security and Privacy Info page, so I/others could easily click on it to search out what it is, rather than having to do the extra steps of copying the URL and then editing it down to do the search?
As you are a registered user, you can make this correction yourself. To edit your post, click the pencil icon.
(I've done it for you this time)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
barbaz

Re: Security and Privacy Info

Post by barbaz »

ddoern wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:30 pm 2. Less important--When I land on Security and Privacy Info page for a particular JavaScript I wind grabbing the script name from your URL (e.g. https://noscript.net/about/noscript.net;noscript.net) and just popping the last part (noscript.net) into my search engine to see what it is. Could you please add just that last part of the URL as a hyperlink to the Security and Privacy Info page, so I/others could easily click on it to search out what it is, rather than having to do the extra steps of copying the URL and then editing it down to do the search?
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but either way, no:

- If you mean add a link to a search engine, no because different people have different preferred search engines (and for different reasons!). Taking that decision on the website end would seem to be anti-user.

- If you mean link the website, no because the website might be malicious, or a tracker, or something else the user doesn't want. It would seem unwise to give all users a live, clickable link to what could be anything - and that goes not just for less educated users, but also even for users like me, too. EDIT Wait, just went to the page and found there already is such link?? just after "Currently it provides links to other resources helping to assess the security and privacy trustworthiness of " :shock:
Umm. Should that really be a live, clickable link?
/EDIT

And in either case, wouldn't it be possible to write a Violentmonkey user script to add (on your end) the link you're seeking, whether it be to your preferred search engine, or the actual site you're getting info for, or whatever, and to have it displayed in pretty much any format you want? Feel free to use this thread to ask for help with that if you want, but first please clarify what you're seeking, thanks :)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-