Feature suggestion - option to turn noscript back on!

Bug reports and enhancement requests
wPenguin

Feature suggestion - option to turn noscript back on!

Post by wPenguin »

Hi,

Just joined up to make a feature suggestion. Ok, when I, say, join a new shopping site or whatever to make a purchase, I usually turn noscript off, i.e. "disable restrictions globally", as trying to figure out what to allow and what not and to get to work with payment methods, not drives me nuts, etc. The pain just isn't worth it, especially if you might get your CC shut down because the CC company looks like your browser's doing something it doesn't understand.

But...Being the absent minded fool that I am, I ALWAYS forget to turn noscript back on when I restart the browser. Half an hour later I realise, after browsing gawd knows what website, or accidentally clicking on some ad. I'm really paranoid that I'm eventually going to get "owned" through my forgetfulness.

Can I have a config option to make noscript turn itself back on, i.e. re-"enable restrictions globally", on restart of the browser?

Thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0
redwolfe_98

Re: Feature suggestion - option to turn noscript back on!

Post by redwolfe_98 »

the latest "development build" has the option that you requested, to re-enable protection after a browser-restart.

you can install the latest development-build on this webpage:

https://noscript.net/getit/

personally, i wouldn't disable noscript when making purchases. instead, i would try to allow whatever scripting was necessary in order for the checkout-process to succeed.

incidentally, one way to "disable" noscript is to run firefox in "private mode," or to run chrome in "incognito mode," where no browser-extensions are loaded.
wPenguin

Re: Feature suggestion - option to turn noscript back on!

Post by wPenguin »

Thanks.

Sounds great. Hope it'll make the release version soon!

It can be frustrating, trying to find the right permissions to get things working, though. And if you're trying to make an online payment and it keeps failing because of scripting issues, you're always a little worried you're going to get your card locked, and all that would entail in getting things back unlocked.

A more ambitious idea might be a database of site profiles, of which scripts to allow for which site.

Thanks!