Toolbar says some number blocked but no blocked sites in list

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
mjhanna

Toolbar says some number blocked but no blocked sites in list

Post by mjhanna »

Running very latest Firefox 98.0.1 and NoScript 11.3.7. Error occurs on many sites, e.g. Amazon. I go to the site and the NoScript toolbar icon shows some number of blocks. I click on the icon and click on "Set all on this page to Temporarilly TRUSTED" and reload. The page reloads and the number of blocks changes but still some number. I click on the NoScript toobar icon and all sites in the list show green, either temporarily or fully trusted. There is NO site in the list not trusted, but the Icon says there is. I try "Set all on this page to Temporarilly TRUSTED" and reload but no change and items on the page (usually JavaScript) don't work.

How do I find which sites are being blocked and unblock them?
Last edited by barbaz on Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Remove email address
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0
barbaz

Re: Toolbar says some number blocked but no blocked sites in list

Post by barbaz »

Removed the email address. We don't give email support, but this being a public forum there are surely bad bots looking to harvest email addresses for spamming and other nefarious purposes.

How have you configured your Trusted preset? (NoScript Options > General > TRUSTED)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Please check latest development build where some issues with site stats have been fixed, thanks.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Post by GIORGIO_IS_GREAT »

Today I started having problems on Firefox 98. (Note, it MIGHT have updated itself today though it's supposed to ask - Firefox nastily sometimes does that). When I gave temp trust to youtube.com, the page does not load. It is "mostly all white".
When I gave temp trust to the two Facebook domains, I still see "1" on the NoScript icon, and the page doesn't load. It is "mostly all white".

Workarounds that seemed to work:
- Going "forward" to google.com and "back" loads pages. I have to do that on every browser webpage (I keep many open always).
- Disabling noScript and reenabling seemed to work - but had to be done every time I restarted Firefox. (By the way that takes a long time, as I have dozens of YouTube windows active. Since I give temp trust to youtube.com, they normally don't load until I do that on one browser window, and then, I can F5 any other window to load them as needed one at a time. But today, F5 did nothing unless I did the workarounds.)

I clicked the Developer version above and it seems to have cured everything...

but I restarted Firefox and pages aren't loading :(

I have an image file but don't see how to attach it without using a URL. It just looks the same as when youtube.com is default or untrusted.
All NoScript is outstanding. :) :)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:98.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/98.0
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Now (with the Developer version) I see "2" on the icon when the webpage URL is in Facebook, not 1. But when I click the icon, both of the Facebook domains do show "Temp trusted". (I achieved that by clicking the clock for "Set all on this page to temporarily TRUSTED"). And the page is mostly white, so it appears scripts are not running.

FYI I also use uBlock.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

@GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Does the issue occur in a new, clean Firefox profile with NoScript latest development build the only extension and all default settings? If not, what if you export your NoScript settings from your main profile and import them into the clean profile?

Also for youtube is there a specific affected URL or is the issue reproducible on any video page?
-
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Thank you so kindly for so many times you've generously helped people.

Firefox (FX) version 98.0 started, to profile prompt
Created new profile
Added extension NoScript
Imported settings that were exported earlier today
Opened youtube.com
Temporarily trusted youtube.com (items appear)
(icons appear, page is usable)
opened a video
closed all other windows
changed FX settings to open prior session pages
closed FX
opened FX still using new profile
(The youtube page appears, mostly white)
Clock button, Set all to temporarily trusted
(Temporarily trusted all 4 domains shown, including youtube.com)
All 4 appear as temporarily trusted. But icon has a 1. Alas, the page is mostly white, unusable. F5 gives no help.

Control-N new window.
Found my way to this thread. Clicked "latest development build " in Giorgio post (Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:26 am CST U.S.A.)
Temporarily allowed all scripts (noscript.net is the only entry shown)
https://noscript.net/getit#devel
Clicked "If you're brave enough and you need a specific feature or fix not released yet, or you simply want to provide feedback before official release, you may want try this
"Quantum" NoScript 11.4rc3 development build"
Clicked "continue to installation"
Clicked "add"
Clicked Okay to box "NoScript was added" with okay in private windows checked
Alt-tab to YouTube window
F5
It loads
alt F-X close FX
opened FX still using new profile
(2 browser instances appear. I almost always use separate browser windows, not tabs)
On the youtube page, Clicked Clock button, Set all to temporarily trusted
(Temporarily trusted all 4 domains shown, including youtube.com)

Again, page does not load, even though everything is temporarily trusted.
F5 does not solve it (which I consider a superfluous attempt. Upon clicking the temporarily trust button the page has always reloaded instantly)

Flipped over to the page for developer builds (I set FX to reload pages from prior session).
I went alt-left arrow "Back" to this thread (Firefox sessions remember 'back' and 'forward' info)
I clicked to temporarily trust all.
Now the icon has a 2 on it, even though there's only item (noscript.net) and it's showing as temporarily TRUSTED.

I suspect that if I again click on the developer page link and click the "brave" link it will function, as though it's required to be loaded every time.

I can do that test, but I'll just watch the thread now for your instructions.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Sorry, I'm not seeing what were the results of testing in the new profile with NoScript *before* importing your NoScript config?
-
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

I could also "revert" back from FX version 98.0. (It's highly infuriating how they seem to sneak in updates, and are so insistent on updating, even though I attempt to always, always say no when it's offered. I did not request that update, so I would be happy to reinstall 97.0.2 or 90.0 or whatever.)
I have a suspicion that version 98.0 is the villain here.
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Sorry, I just walked over your post.
I'll redo that sequence shown above and omit the import and report back if that's what you're asking to see.
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

GIORGIO_IS_GREAT wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:53 pm I could also "revert" back from FX version 98.0.
Sure, if you think it might help, please try it and let us know - https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/97.0.2/
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:54 pm I'll redo that sequence shown above and omit the import and report back if that's what you're asking to see.
Yes please
-
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Testing as described, and skipping the import
Aieee! Google and youtube come up as fully TRUSTED in that test.
I made them default. I want to manually trust them always.
(most of webpage turns white)
temp trusted all
(page loads okay)
closed FX
Opened FX with the newer-new profile
Realize I forgot to tell FX to remember session pages, so set that, and loaded the youtube video from History
(page DOES load after restarting FX this time)

From what this shows so far it appears to have isolated the failure to the imported NoScript .TXT

Should I now do the import and see if the failure recurs?
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Could you please PM me the contents of the export file and I'll take a look
-
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I am unable to reproduce the problem with your NoScript config (NoScript 11.4rc3, Firefox 98.0.1, Linux here). Did you try the Firefox downgrade?
-
GIORGIO_IS_GREAT

Downgrading to 97.0.2 so far has not shown the problem.

I am SO FURIOUS at Firefox. When you revert to a prior EXE version, they PROHIBIT using the newer version profile. I lose sessions (dozens of pages). I lose bookmarks (though that one is solvable). I lose History. I lose SETTINGS which are painful to get them all right - there are hundreds of config items. And saved logins - just imagine what hell that may be if I can't relocate them. (I had to reenter my login info 3 times today just for informaction.com) Why? Why? Why can't they just let me say "I understand the risk?"

Sorry, I'm just so mad - and after spending over 2 hours today on this, I'll spend another 3 hours rebuilding settings, sessions and everything else. And for the next days or weeks I'll discover more that I forgot, and may even have to create new userids - needlessly - because of those jerks. Firefox is far superior to anything else, so I'll remain, but they so incompetently, Microsoftically go out of their way to do ruinous productive-assassinating things like this, because they refuse to permit "I understand the risk".

I'm so sorry to take your extremely valuable time as well. At least I may have sounded an alarm on Firefox 98.0 possibly disabling NoScript, although of course it could be just in my installation, my problem alone.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:97.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/97.0