sandbox escape affecting only Debian, Ubuntu, and other derivatives

Talk about internet security, computer security, personal security, your social security number...
morganism

sandbox escape affecting only Debian, Ubuntu, and other derivatives

Post by morganism »

An unexpected Redis sandbox escape affecting only Debian, Ubuntu, and other derivatives

"This post describes how I broke the Redis sandbox, but only for Debian and Debian-derived Linux distributions. Upstream Redis is not affected. That makes it a Debian vulnerability, not a Redis one. The culprit, if you will, is dynamic linking, but there will be more on that later.

This received the CVE id of CVE-2022-0543. Debian also released the DSA-5081 security advisory on 18/Feb/2022, and Ubuntu released USN-5316-1 on 7/Mar/2022, so I'm releasing this post on 8/Mar/2022.

Who should care?

Only people who run Redis on Debian, Ubuntu, and possibly other Debian-based distros. Just make sure your system is up to date.

Interestingly, I was surprised that I had to report this to Debian and Ubuntu separately. I expected that Ubuntu would either automatically pick the fix up or that there would be a manual process wherein someone at Canonical would take a look at all Debian security announcements and check whether they apply to Ubuntu as well. I'll leave that as a suggestion to Canonical."

https://www.ubercomp.com/posts/2022-01- ... debian_rce
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:88.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/88.0