I Am A Noob: Is NoScript Right For Me?

Ask for help about NoScript, no registration needed to post
Mr.Gump

I Am A Noob: Is NoScript Right For Me?

Post by Mr.Gump »

To Whom It May Concern,

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post and hopefully leave your opinion/guidance.

Let me give you background as to why I am here:

the other day I installed ESET Smart Security 4 (the 30 day trial) because my Kaspersky license recently expired and I wanted to see what other security software was on the market. As a test of the new software I decided to visit a particular website that Kaspersky had always given me warning notifications about, because the site was trying to install some malware/trojan. When I visited this website ESET did not give me any warning at all and a ESET technician told me they were going to add that attack site to the next virus signature release. So basically I was pretty sure my system had been compromised by this website under ESET, not under Kaspersky. I ran some malware checking programs like Prevx and Malwarebytes and as far as i know they did not find any issues with my system. I then updated my ESET signatures and ran the scan. ESET found an issue and cleaned it and now everytime I visit that attack site ESET blocks it and shows a warning. So that is the background of how this whole thing started.

Here is my question and thank you for sticking around to read all this.

When I was having the isse stated above, many people told me to use Provx and Malwarebytes and some told me to use "sandboxie" from now on. Some people also told me to get something that prevents dangerious scripts from running. I am using Firefox with the most current updates and I noticed NoScript was an available addon. I am a noob and I don't know anything really about prtoection and stuff. I know this addon starts protecting me right after I intall it, but is this the type of "script stopping" security that is right for me? Is this the stuff they were talking about?

Thank you for your help.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
Grumpy Old Lady

Re: I Am A Noob: Is NoScript Right For Me?

Post by Grumpy Old Lady »

Have a look at the NoScript basics
http://noscript.net/features#basics
Then install NoScript and give it a test run as-is (all the default settings). You don't need any particular experience to run it :-)
See if it changes your web experience in a bad way, or a good way.
Come back here if you want any particular help to use it.
The main point is that you are not any less secure with NS running, and certainly very much more so - with simply the default installation and yourself taking no further action; NoScript works by whitelisting and your experience with a file banning application failing is unfortunately the inevitable result of the blacklisting approach of those kinds of applications - although whether in your particular case NS could have helped I have no clue; even with NS installed, a user isn't prevented from allowing active content or from ignoring warnings :-)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
dhouwn
Bug Buster

Post by dhouwn »

Mr.Gump wrote:[…]some told me to use "sandboxie" from now on. Some people also told me to get something that prevents dangerious scripts from running.
Well, that's not true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandboxie wrote:It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive.
Sandboxie and Noscript should work fine together.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
Mr.Gump

Post by Mr.Gump »

dhouwn wrote:
Mr.Gump wrote:[…]some told me to use "sandboxie" from now on. Some people also told me to get something that prevents dangerious scripts from running.
Well, that's not true.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandboxie wrote:It creates a sandbox-like isolated operating environment in which applications can be run or installed without permanently modifying the local or mapped drive.
Sandboxie and Noscript should work fine together.

Thank you for reading my stuff and commenting, but I have to tell you that I was not implying anything about sandboxie and NoScript working together or not working together. That statement is explaining that someone told me to use two methods. One is sandboxie, the other is a scrip blocker of no specific nature. I do not currently use sandboxie and i just started using NoScrip, which is why i am here.

and thank you for the explanation of what sandboxie does, i am aware of its function and purpose, but thank you anyway for going through the trouble.

I think you missed what i was trying to say, dhouwn, and thats cool. thank you for helping.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.2) Gecko/20090729 Firefox/3.5.2
Alan Baxter
Ambassador

Post by Alan Baxter »

Mr.Gump wrote:As a test of the new software I decided to visit a particular website that Kaspersky had always given me warning notifications about, because the site was trying to install some malware/trojan.
:shock: Don't do anything like that again! (Although I suppose you know that now, right?)
is this the type of "script stopping" security that is right for me? Is this the stuff they were talking about?
Yes. They were probably talking about NoScript. It's right for you. Our resident Grumpy Old Lady speaks the truth. Follow her advice.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Mr.Gump

Post by Mr.Gump »

Alan Baxter wrote:
Mr.Gump wrote:As a test of the new software I decided to visit a particular website that Kaspersky had always given me warning notifications about, because the site was trying to install some malware/trojan.
:shock: Don't do anything like that again! (Although I suppose you know that now, right?)
is this the type of "script stopping" security that is right for me? Is this the stuff they were talking about?
Yes. They were probably talking about NoScript. It's right for you. Our resident Grumpy Old Lady speaks the truth. Follow her advice.

Thank you Grumpy Old Lady and Alan for your comments. Yours especially Alan, they made me chuckle on the inside. I feel like your are my big bro looking out for me and letting me know, lovingly, when i f-up.