no sites listed to allow, but page not working

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
neanderthal

no sites listed to allow, but page not working

Post by neanderthal »

Lately I have come across more and more pages that do not function, but noScript doesn't give me any specific sites to allow or temporarily allow. I can "temporarily allow all this page", but I don't know what I'm allowing. For instance, on this page I have an indication "Scripts Currently Forbidden", but there are no specific sites for me to allow. However, there is a grayed-out option "Allow[http://forums.informaction.com]" that doesn't seem to do anything when I select it. It seems to be a non-functional, grayed-out option.

Since this seems to be happening more often lately, I wondered if web sites in general are doing something different on purpose to hide what scripts are being accessed.

I tried updating NoScript but it was already at the current version.

Am I the only one having this problem? Maybe I messed up some setting. Or are other people seeing this lack of specific sites to allow, too.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:14.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/14.0.1
GµårÐïåñ
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: no sites listed to allow, but page not working

Post by GµårÐïåñ »

Check to make sure you don't have "ALWAYS" marked under NoScript Options|Advanced Tab|HTTPS|Behavior because that would require you operate on HTTPS only and if you have that and the site doesn't support it, you won't get much allowed.
~.:[ Lï£ê ï§ å Lêmðñ åñÐ Ì Wåñ† M¥ Mðñê¥ ßå¢k ]:.~
________________ .: [ Major Mike's ] :. ________________
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; rv:13.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/13.0.1
neanderthal

Post by neanderthal »

Similar problem (10 years later). NoScript shows a count of 5 blocks, but I only see 2 items in the list as being blocked. I can't unblock what I can't see. I'm having trouble with a medical website where I have temporarily allowed everything that is blocked, with the exception of google analytics and google tag manager. How do I see what else is being blocked? I think the count used to match the number of blocked items in the list, but not lately. There is something being blocked that is preventing the site from working properly.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

I assume you are using NoScript Webext and that your displayed UA is accurate? NoScript Webext issues like this have zero relation to anything NoScript Classic, they are completely different code bases.

The block count badge in NoScript Webext is number of individual items (e.g. <script> tags), not number of sites. There can be multiple script tags or blockable items from a single site.
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/96.0.4664.175 Safari/537.36
neanderthal

Post by neanderthal »

I think I understand what you're saying. But the site still doesn't work unless I disable NoScript completely, which I really don't want to do. I've tried Disable Restrictions for this tab and Set All on this page to Temporarily Trusted. I also tried unchecking Sanitize cross-site suspicious requests, with no effect. I wonder if there is something else in Options I need to tweak?
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

Which version of NoScript are you using exactly?
May I see your NoScript Options>Export file (you can send it to giorgio at maone dot net)?
Is there any way for me to test the malfunctioning page?
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:96.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/96.0
neanderthal

Post by neanderthal »

I'm using Version 11.2.15, updated January 19, 2022, but this has been happening for a month or two on the site I'm having trouble with. I'm sending the extract in a separate email message. I don't think you could test the site unless you have a MyBSWHealth account.
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

neanderthal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:35 pm I'm using Version 11.2.15, updated January 19, 2022, but this has been happening for a month or two on the site I'm having trouble with. I'm sending the extract in a separate email message. I don't think you could test the site unless you have a MyBSWHealth account.
Please check (in this order):
  1. If latest development build 11.2.16rc2 fixes the problem (at least in an unrestricted tab).
  2. Whether disabling restrictions globally (vs for the tab only) works around it.
Thank you!
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:97.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/97.0
neanderthal

Post by neanderthal »

Here's a site you could test on - https://discussions.apple.com/ . I was using a private window. I clicked the link to sign in and all I got was a blank screen. NoScript showed one site blocked. So, I allowed ...apple.com, hit the refresh - still nothing. No other options to allow were listed, just that one domain, which I changed to Trusted. So I disabled NoScript and then was able to sign in. I then signed out and closed the private window. I reactivated NoScript and went back to the discussions page. I clicked the sign in link and again it showed a blank page. ...apple.com was already Trusted, but now it showed apple.cdn.com as blocked. I changed it to Trusted and now I was able to sign in while NoScript was active. So, I wonder why apple.cdn.com didn't show up earlier after I Trusted ...apple.com and hit the NoScript reload button? It had been blocked earlier, but I couldn't see it to allow it, even after Trusting ...apple.com and clicking the reload button in NoScript.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.15; rv:96.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/96.0
neanderthal

Post by neanderthal »

I with Set All on this Page as Temporarily Trusted, I tried Disable Restrictions for this Tab, and I tried DIsable Restrictions Globally (dangerous), but The MyBSWHealth site would not work unless I disabled NoScript completely.
I looked for an update, but 1.2.15 is shown as up to date. Where would I look for the 11.2.16c version?
Giorgio Maone
Site Admin

Post by Giorgio Maone »

neanderthal wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:01 pm Where would I look for the 11.2.16c version?
https://noscript.net/getit#devel
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:97.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/97.0
neanderthal

Post by neanderthal »

I updated to 11.2.16c and got the same results on the MyBSWHealth site. I can get to the home page, but can't go to messages or appointments unless I totally disable NoScript.