Re: What do the individual checkboxes for Default/Trusted/Untrusted/Custom mean?

General discussion about the NoScript extension for Firefox
jawz101

Re: What do the individual checkboxes for Default/Trusted/Untrusted/Custom mean?

Post by jawz101 »

@barbaz can your descriptions be added to the actual ui of the add-on? It is dumb the extension doesn't explain itself within its actual gui.

Even with the descriptions from your post here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=26285

it would be nice to see

description: script - JavaScript, e.g. <script> tags

checked: allow javascript

unchecked: block javascript

because when you get to noscript, the term "noscript" is essentially a double negative so it's really confusing to know what checked versus unchecked implies and, consequently, the effects of each would be.
I'm assuming, in my words, a <noscript> tag is a way for a website to say "if javascript is disabled, do this instead" to allow a site to offer an alternate way to function when your browser doesn't support javascript. By checking it, you are letting the site use a noscript condition to offer that alternative choice. By unchecking, you are saying "do not give this site a way to do something different when I do block javascript."
If I understand it correctly, that makes 2 of u,s but I don't think everyone would grasp that.

Also, object is still vague. I assume this would mean plugins such as Flash, Silverlight, Oracle Java, etc. It should say that. not simply "plugins"

the addon gui got so stripped down when we moved to web extensions that it isn't nearly intuitive as it used to be.
Last edited by barbaz on Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0
barbaz

Post by barbaz »

Moving to NoScript General.
jawz101 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:47 pm @barbaz can your descriptions be added to the actual ui of the add-on?
That would be up to Giorgio. If it does happen it would be as part of the upcoming UI redesign - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=25643
jawz101 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:47 pm If I understand it correctly, that makes 2 of u,s but I don't think everyone would grasp that.
You do understand correctly. I disagree that people would have trouble with it though - if they did, they would ask on these forums, and I don't recall seeing that.
jawz101 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:47 pm Also, object is still vague. I assume this would mean plugins such as Flash, Silverlight, Oracle Java, etc.
Yes, though more generally it actually means anything embedded via a <object> or <embed> tag.
jawz101 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:47 pm It should say that.
It does now :)
*Always* check the changelogs BEFORE updating that important software!
-